Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:53 pm

michlaw wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but beating NYU at full boat is pretty easy. The 5 better schools and any T-13 with good money. Good luck with that 3 year prediction. Interestingly Harvard appointed a conservative today as the new Dean. Amazing guy. Clerked for Scalia.
The dude got bounced everywhere else from what I gather. And apparently his terrible app was so bad, that even if he reapplied, they would likely hold it against him because they have the file still. NYU and other waitlists might be the best option. To be honest, if OP applied to Cornell, they would probably pull him from the waitlist and throw at least 105k his way if he showed them a ton of interest
So we think that somehow NYU looked through the bad app and saw the truth of it. More likely they are hungry for his numbers at sticker. They are great numbers after all. Hold out for a better deal.
I don't think anyone thinks this?

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Just read this thread now. :shock: As an 0L it scares the crap out of me that someone with T6 numbers can be waitlisted by virtually the entire T13 because of a "lack of passion." Law school is a professional school and adcomms are professionals - I didn't think level of excitement/interest factored in as much as it apparently does.

So, takeaway for my PS is kiss a bunch of ass?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 pm

dm1683 wrote:Just read this thread now. :shock: As an 0L it scares the crap out of me that someone with T6 numbers can be waitlisted by virtually the entire T13 because of a "lack of passion." Law school is a professional school and adcomms are professionals - I didn't think level of excitement/interest factored in as much as it apparently does.

I think you are overreacting in that this is really about a number of factors, of which one could be called "lack of passion," which includes things like blowing off an interview request.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:13 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
dm1683 wrote:Just read this thread now. :shock: As an 0L it scares the crap out of me that someone with T6 numbers can be waitlisted by virtually the entire T13 because of a "lack of passion." Law school is a professional school and adcomms are professionals - I didn't think level of excitement/interest factored in as much as it apparently does.

I think you are overreacting in that this is really about a number of factors, of which one could be called "lack of passion," which includes things like blowing off an interview request.
Ah, I see. So it's not necessary to be bubbly like an eight year old girl going to disney world in my application.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:32 pm

Does anyone have suggestions on how to word the other LOCIs in light of the NYU offer?

With some financial aid I would be interested in these other schools but w/ no merit aid it's probably not worth considering UVA/Mich/Duke/Northwestern over NYU w/ no merit aid, right? Does that make sense ?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:06 am

stego wrote:Does anyone have suggestions on how to word the other LOCIs in light of the NYU offer?

With some financial aid I would be interested in these other schools but w/ no merit aid it's probably not worth considering UVA/Mich/Duke/Northwestern over NYU w/ no merit aid, right? Does that make sense ?
I wouldn't mention aid at all. If you got into all those law schools but go no aid at any, would NYU be your top choice? If so, I'd just mention your acceptance to NYU in the LOCI, but tell them that you are still interested in attending _______ because of (reasons). That might motivate them to offer aid, but it could also motivate them to reject you if they can't offer aid (it's why I wouldn't do it if you prefer that school at no aid over NYU).

Anyways, that's JMO. Others might have better advice.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:08 am

I wouldn't mention money or the NYU acceptance in LOCIs to other schools

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:42 pm

How interested are you in PI? Are you cool with LRAPing?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:51 pm

wiz wrote:How interested are you in PI? Are you cool with LRAPing?
i'm pretty interested in PI. LRAP sounds kind of doable and is the only reason this is even worth considering IMO but it's still a scary amount of debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 pm

stego wrote:
wiz wrote:How interested are you in PI? Are you cool with LRAPing?
i'm pretty interested in PI. LRAP sounds kind of doable and is the only reason this is even worth considering IMO but it's still a scary amount of debt.
If you're for sure doing PI and are cool with LRAP/PSLF/PAYE, then it's a scary amount of debt but basically a fake number since you won't be paying it back anyway.

If you're not 100% sure about the PI route or think you might change how you feel when your classmates are going through OCI, then I agree NYU's crazy COA is a tough sell.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I'm surprised you don't have some middle ground options between NYU and Alabama. Or do you? (Too lazy to read through the last 8 pages)

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:32 pm

wiz wrote:I'm surprised you don't have some middle ground options between NYU and Alabama. Or do you? (Too lazy to read through the last 8 pages)
No. I only applied to T13s this cycle and am waitlisted or rejected everywhere else.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:00 pm

This is probably personal and varies for everyone, but at what price tag would NYU this year be the obvious right choice over waiting a year or going to Alabama?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:09 pm

stego wrote:This is probably personal and varies for everyone, but at what price tag would NYU this year be the obvious right choice over waiting a year or going to Alabama?
Yeah, this is entirely personal and won't probably be all that helpful. Personally I'd set the "screw it, just go" at like $100k COA. If you apply next year, you could possibly have that COA or better at a place in the lower T13 potentially, and while NYU has better LRAP than those schools and generally a bit stronger placement (although that's primarily in Biglaw, not really sure about PI IIRC), even riding the LRAP train will feel better if there is less debt to me.

People will definitely disagree on this though.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:06 pm

chargers21 wrote:I wouldn't mention money or the NYU acceptance in LOCIs to other schools
Very curious; why wouldn't they?

Wouldn't the NYU acceptance make them more attractive to other schools?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:35 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
chargers21 wrote:I wouldn't mention money or the NYU acceptance in LOCIs to other schools

Or make them seem unavailable

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 pm

chargers21 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:

Couldn't they say they were recently admitted to nyu, but are still very interested in attending xyz?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs army of waitlists

Post by Phil Brooks » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:05 pm

Npret wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
stego wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I think the point is that this is applying to law school, not dating, and so a waitlist isn't some kind of personal thing. I get deciding not to stay on a waitlist (especially for the money reason) but that's not a reason not to reapply to them again in the next cycle.
Please apologize on my behalf to your colleagues in the BU admissions office for not reapplying there after last cycle
I reapplied to every other school that waitlisted me last year, plus added a couple new ones.

I didn't reapply to Georgetown, and I don't feel the least bit bad about that.
Dude I feel like this attitude is probably what came out in your application and didn't help you. None of this is personal.
I feel like it difficult to explain to you OP what the problems are with your attitude because I don't think you see it the way an adcomm might.
It's like everyone else acts really, really super excited to go to a law school and in comparison you might appear extremely disinterested even if you're not a all disinterested.
You may just not be able to parse the difference and I'm not sure how best to explain or more importantly, if it even matters.
Uninterested = Not Interested

Disinterested = Objective, Impartial, Neutral, Unbiased

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:07 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:

Couldn't they say they were recently admitted to nyu, but are still very interested in attending xyz?
this is the correct answer.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 am

UVA2B wrote:
stego wrote:This is probably personal and varies for everyone, but at what price tag would NYU this year be the obvious right choice over waiting a year or going to Alabama?
Yeah, this is entirely personal and won't probably be all that helpful. Personally I'd set the "screw it, just go" at like $100k COA. If you apply next year, you could possibly have that COA or better at a place in the lower T13 potentially, and while NYU has better LRAP than those schools and generally a bit stronger placement (although that's primarily in Biglaw, not really sure about PI IIRC), even riding the LRAP train will feel better if there is less debt to me.

People will definitely disagree on this though.
I think the opinions of the consultants were that he might end up with just as disappointing of a cycle next year.

stego

Platinum

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs NYU $ vs army of waitlists

Post by stego » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Ok I got my aid offer from NYU. They gave it a name (Dean's Scholarship Award) that makes it sound like merit aid, but they wouldn't give it to me until I showed them my tax returns and bank statements, so it's need-based aid. Still, money is money, right?

It's $25k a year. The third year gets reduced to $15k if I make more than $15k during 2L summer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:21 pm

stego wrote:Ok I got my aid offer from NYU. They gave it a name (Dean's Scholarship Award) that makes it sound like merit aid, but they wouldn't give it to me until I showed them my tax returns and bank statements, so it's need-based aid. Still, money is money, right?

It's $25k a year. The third year gets reduced to $15k if I make more than $15k during 2L summer.
It's a combo scholarship (need/merit). Go to NYU.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:02 pm

NYU. with the min scholarship if you haven't been able to pinpoint your issue

I'd also call GTown or one of the lowers schools and ask what the issue is with your app, why they don't like you———if you get some useful info then reapply?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:24 pm

stego wrote:Ok I got my aid offer from NYU. They gave it a name (Dean's Scholarship Award) that makes it sound like merit aid, but they wouldn't give it to me until I showed them my tax returns and bank statements, so it's need-based aid. Still, money is money, right?

Congrats! Go there and be merry

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Go to NYU. Congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”