Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
breyersringtone
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby breyersringtone » Thu May 11, 2017 1:49 pm

Hi TLS!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I'm currently deciding between WUSTL and Texas.

WUSTL: Full tuition, COA would just be living expenses
Texas: Nonresident Tuition Exemption + $, COA (by the school's estimate of $56,161/year) would be $130,000+

I already tried scholarship renegotiation with Texas, and the increase was pretty minimal. All financing would be through loans.

I'm a splitter (3.2x/173) and pretty committed to PI. I also hold the dubious honor of being on 14 waitlists, 10 of which are T-14s. I'm leaning toward WUSTL because in addition to the much lighter debt load, I have family less than 4 hours away. That said, I want to check I'm not overlooking factors that would make Texas worth the debt.
Last edited by breyersringtone on Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu May 11, 2017 1:54 pm

breyersringtone wrote:Hi TLS!

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster, and I'm currently deciding between WUSTL and Texas.

WUSTL: Full tuition, COA would just be living expenses
Texas: Nonresident Tuition Exemption + $, COA (by the school's estimate of $56,161/year) would be $130,000+

I already tried scholarship renegotiation with Texas, and the increase was pretty minimal. All financing would be through loans.

I'm a splitter (3.2x/173) and pretty committed to PI. I also hold the dubious honor of being on 14 waitlists, 10 of which are T-14s. I'm leaning toward WUSTL because in addition to the much lighter debt load, I have family less than 4 hours away. That said, I want to check I'm not overlooking factors that would make Texas worth the debt.


What is UTs loan repayment assistance program like for those who do PI?

User avatar
RParadela
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby RParadela » Thu May 11, 2017 1:57 pm

WUSTL and it isn't even close

User avatar
Greenteachurro
"Big Bang Theory is great, actually."
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby Greenteachurro » Thu May 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Take WUSTL and run. No way Texas is worth that much more than WUSTL

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15695
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby Rigo » Thu May 11, 2017 6:17 pm

WUSTL for sure.

favabeansoup
Posts: 414
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby favabeansoup » Thu May 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Went to UT. You should go to WUSTL and it is quite literally not even a close call.

Do you want to work in Texas, you didn't even seem to indicate that.

Reid-Bailey
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:26 am

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby Reid-Bailey » Thu May 11, 2017 7:23 pm

If you truly want to work in PI, then pick WUSTL.

If you want to SAY that you want to work in PI but graduate with a crushing debt-load and working corporate somewhere...pick Texas.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15695
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby Rigo » Thu May 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Reid-Bailey wrote:If you want to SAY that you want to work in PI but graduate with a crushing debt-load and working corporate somewhere...pick Texas.

Eh even then I wouldn't gamble on UT.

breyersringtone
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Texas ($)

Postby breyersringtone » Thu May 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Thanks all! I figured it was WUSTL hands down, but wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. You've made this a very easy choice, which is great because these waitlists are giving me an ulcer.

breyersringtone
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby breyersringtone » Fri May 26, 2017 2:35 pm

Update: Duke accepted me off their waitlist and are offering me just over $100k. My understanding is they have a good LRAP, but I also know LRAP/PSLF isn't a sure thing.

WUSTL: Full tuition, COA would be ~70k
Duke: +100k, COA would be ~150k

cavalier1138
Posts: 4257
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

breyersringtone wrote:Update: Duke accepted me off their waitlist and are offering me just over $100k. My understanding is they have a good LRAP, but I also know LRAP/PSLF isn't a sure thing.

WUSTL: Full tuition, COA would be ~70k
Duke: +100k, COA would be ~150k


Ok, now the type of PI you're focused on is important. Where do you want to work, and what kind of work do you want to do?

Also, PSLF may not be an absolute guarantee (although it's not really something you need to worry about if you're starting this year), but LRAP is through the school. If you're deeply concerned that the government would completely revoke PSLF for all borrowers, including past and present borrowers who relied on the program (not gonna happen), then ask the school if they have a plan for LRAP without PSLF.

breyersringtone
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:55 pm

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby breyersringtone » Fri May 26, 2017 9:23 pm

I apologize if this is an unhelpful or frustrating answer, but I'm pretty open to both the where and the what. I'm a lit para doing mostly trial support right now, and I like litigation. Like every other starry-eyed PI hopeful I'm interested in impact litigation, but I'm aware landing something like that out of school is exceedingly rare. I hope this answer doesn't make me sound like I'm not committed to PI. I just hesitate to say "I want to do XYZ" when I've never done XYZ, and I may end up loving ABC clinic or internship instead.

I'm from New York but I have a lot of family in the South, so I'm not chained to the East Coast.

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby grades?? » Fri May 26, 2017 9:33 pm

This is for sure Duke

arpanet
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 3:42 am

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby arpanet » Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 am

I'd say Duke is worth it if you're committed to PI and want more options as far as location.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby runinthefront » Sun May 28, 2017 4:25 am

Duke, even if not all in on PI

User avatar
SmokeytheBear
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby SmokeytheBear » Sun May 28, 2017 10:52 am

runinthefront wrote:Duke, even if not all in on PI

ernie
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:34 am

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby ernie » Sun May 28, 2017 11:11 am

Duke. keep in mind that impact lit jobs are very hard to get straight out of law school. But easier from duke than wustl for sure.

User avatar
chargers21
Posts: 3449
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:54 pm

Re: Update: WUSTL ($$$$) vs. Duke ($)

Postby chargers21 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:17 pm

Dook




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests