Any Advice on Iowa?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WELLOKAYTHEN

Any Advice on Iowa?

Postby WELLOKAYTHEN » Thu May 04, 2017 3:54 pm

I got into Iowa College of Law with a 2/3 scholarship. I've been working in various roles in tech for the past 5 years - primarily as a technical writer & business analyst.

I'm curious to get the feedback from any Iowa students or alumni on the school and whether they recommend the school and what their experience is/was like. I'm also curious to get input from those with no affiliation with the school as to how "outsiders" view Iowa's law school grads? For instance, on Above The Law's rankings, Iowa students appear to rank Iowa's academics slightly above the median.

If it helps, I'm not 100% on what kind of law I'd like to practice. But, I would like to explore privacy law & corporate law (Yes, I know these are vague). Also, I'm originally from the Midwest (Ohio & Wisconsin) - though I've spent the last 5 years in CA.

I understand that Iowa is considered a regional school. But, how unrealistic is it to expect a job outside of Iowa upon graduation? According to the ABA disclosures, it seems realistic with alums reporting employment in California, Minnesota, Illinois, and DC (to name a few).

Thanks!
Last edited by WELLOKAYTHEN on Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Re: Any Advice on Iowa?

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu May 04, 2017 3:57 pm

WELLOKAYTHEN wrote:I got into Iowa College of Law with a 2/3 scholarship. I've been working in various roles in tech for the past 5 years - primarily as a technical writer & business analyst.

I'm curious to get the feedback from any Iowa students or alumni on the school and whether they recommend the school and what their experience is/was like. I'm also curious to get input from those with no affiliation with the school as to how "outsiders" view Iowa's law school grads? For instance, on Above The Law's rankings, Iowa students appear to rank Iowa's academics slightly above the median.

If it helps, I'm not 100% on what kind of law I'd like to practice. But, I would like to explore privacy law & corporate law (Yes, I know these are vague).

Thank!

Do you want to work in Iowa? If so, Iowa is a good school and on a 2/3 scholarship probably not terrible financially. If not, don't go there

WELLOKAYTHEN

Postby WELLOKAYTHEN » Thu May 04, 2017 3:59 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
WELLOKAYTHEN wrote:I got into Iowa College of Law with a 2/3 scholarship. I've been working in various roles in tech for the past 5 years - primarily as a technical writer & business analyst.

If it helps, I'm not 100% on what kind of law I'd like to practice. But, I would like to explore privacy law & corporate law (Yes, I know these are vague).

Thank!

Do you want to work in Iowa? If so, Iowa is a good school and on a 2/3 scholarship probably not terrible financially. If not, don't go there

I wouldn't mind working in Iowa. But, it isn't necessarily a goal. Is it really unrealistic to expect a job outside of the state?

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu May 04, 2017 4:04 pm

WELLOKAYTHEN wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Thank!

I wouldn't mind working in Iowa. But, it isn't necessarily a goal. Is it really unrealistic to expect a job outside of the state?

It is possible to get a job outside of Iowa, but much harder than going to school in the state you want to work or going to a national t13 school

WELLOKAYTHEN

Postby WELLOKAYTHEN » Thu May 04, 2017 4:15 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
WELLOKAYTHEN wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

It is possible to get a job outside of Iowa, but much harder than going to school in the state you want to work or going to a national t13 school

Got it. thanks!

cavalier1138

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:01 pm

WELLOKAYTHEN wrote:According to the ABA disclosures, it seems realistic with alums reporting employment in California, Minnesota, Illinois, and DC (to name a few).

How many students are going to those states? And where are they placing in the class? If you have ties to California, you might be able to get back there, but it's a hell of a lot easier from UCLA or USC (to pick comparable schools for that region).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”