Illinois v. Emory

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
DrSpaceman11

Illinois v. Emory

Postby DrSpaceman11 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:50 pm

Was pretty much sold on Emory, already paid first deposit and then UIllinois came up offering a way better CoA but their deposit deadline is tomorrow.

-COA - Emory 130k, Illinois 100k, completely financing through loans (no UG debt).

-From the midwest, want to work in a big city dont really have preference on ATL vs. Chicago.

- Am aiming for BigLaw but would be more than happy working business/small law in an area im interested in. Saw the spike out of Illinois this year but not sure if its an anomaly or a new trend. After visiting I loved Emory and would definitely prefer it to Illinois living wise (mostly cause weather and being in a big city).

- Literally got the scholarship negotiation email from Illinois upping my scholly this weekend and the deposit deadline is tomorrow, so not sure if Emory (who i've heard is unwilling to negotiate) will even up my scholly in time if I tried.

- 3.0/166, taken the LSAT twice. I think at best I could improve one or two points but not enough that would put me in contention at a splitter friendly T-13 (rarely miss more than 1-2 on LG, over half my questions missed were in RC)

Any insight is appreciated, just don't know if I can justify 30k more for Emory given the new employment data.

foregetaboutdre

Re: Illinois v. Emory

Postby foregetaboutdre » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:56 pm

DrSpaceman11 wrote:Was pretty much sold on Emory, already paid first deposit and then UIllinois came up offering a way better CoA but their deposit deadline is tomorrow.

-COA - Emory 130k, Illinois 100k, completely financing through loans (no UG debt).

-From the midwest, want to work in a big city dont really have preference on ATL vs. Chicago.

- Am aiming for BigLaw but would be more than happy working business/small law in an area im interested in. Saw the spike out of Illinois this year but not sure if its an anomaly or a new trend. After visiting I loved Emory and would definitely prefer it to Illinois living wise (mostly cause weather and being in a big city).

- Literally got the scholarship negotiation email from Illinois upping my scholly this weekend and the deposit deadline is tomorrow, so not sure if Emory (who i've heard is unwilling to negotiate) will even up my scholly in time if I tried.

- 3.0/166, taken the LSAT twice. I think at best I could improve one or two points but not enough that would put me in contention at a splitter friendly T-13 (rarely miss more than 1-2 on LG, over half my questions missed were in RC)

Any insight is appreciated, just don't know if I can justify 30k more for Emory given the new employment data.

I'd go to Emory to open up doors in ATL/the South as well as keep my midwest market open. But, 30k is a LOT of money. I know quite a few Emory attny's in my midwestern market FWIW. When applying to schools I didn't place much emphasis in enjoying my surroundings/the facilities etc... But, in cases like this I think they do matter.

Maybe put a last feeler out to see if Emory will increase their scholarship offer.

cheaptilts

Postby cheaptilts » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Go to wherever city you would be more comfortable practicing at a smaller law firm. Both schools give you a reasonable shot at biglaw, but you're more likely than not to end up at a midlaw/smaller shop. Retake if you're set on biglaw.

Rigo

Postby Rigo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:54 pm

I'd deposit at UIUC and then ask for even more money.
They're both regional schools but I'd stick with the Midwest and save money. Alright shot at Chicago biglaw if you are top 1/4

DrSpaceman11

Postby DrSpaceman11 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:24 am

Thank you guys, yeah I think I'm slightly leaning towards UIUC because I feel that if I go to Emory I'm going to be overly-frugal with everything to try and justify the CoA difference and it'll make me miserable. Though I still think Emory is a favorite at close to equal CoA, so idk. Just wish I could know if UIUC would keep up its 38% BL/FC placement. Guess I need to continue pushing off studying for finals and keep thinking about this lol.

throw it away

Postby throw it away » Mon May 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Current 2L at UIUC here. Made this account just to post a response to your "would keep up its . . . placement"

As far as I know, those numbers will remain similar if not the same for the next two years. The 2017 Class has about the same biglaw placement from what I understand as those who just graduated. The 2018 Class is likely to have even better numbers (fewer transfers out for our class than in years past)--this is before factoring in 3L OCI which has seen good hauls the past few years. My advice: come to UIUC, get in the top 1/3, speak English in interviews. You'll do great.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”