Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hlsperson123

New
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:34 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby hlsperson123 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:52 am

Nebby wrote:
hlsperson123 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
xn3345 wrote:The distinction is not great, but 20-25% of Chicago students will clerk, and more like 25-30% of HLS students will clerk.


Do you have an actual source for either of these figures? Because I can tell you the range you gave for HLS is wrong for 2015 (the only year I checked).

Link your source


It's private OCS data that I had to use my HLS login to access. I can't link it to a public forum.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 02, 2017 10:54 am

.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Tue May 02, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Rigo » Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 am

Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf

Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

User avatar
Colonel_funkadunk

Gold
Posts: 3248
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Re: Ruby from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Colonel_funkadunk » Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 am

Rigo wrote:
magnum_law wrote:Majority of those Ruby recipients look like aspies tho. OP better go 2 HLS

OP was sure to hit us with ceteris paribus to alleviate any concerns about Chicago fit.

i <3 u

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am

Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf

Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf


again, this is useless.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Rigo » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf

Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

again, this is useless.

And how are your made up ball park numbers more useful?

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Rigo » Tue May 02, 2017 11:01 am

Of course this is all theoretical now since deposit deadlines have passed.
I wonder what OP did.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby jbagelboy » Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 am

Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf

Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

again, this is useless.

And how are your made up ball park numbers more useful?


Okay. I don't think they are more useful. I'm exaggerating. And I don't think this stat is useless. But it's not what I'm talking about. For example, in 2014, Chicago's 9-month stat was higher than Harvards (~15% to ~14%). But that didn't mean more Chicago students from c/o 2014 clerked than Harvard students.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Rigo » Tue May 02, 2017 11:04 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf
Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

again, this is useless.

And how are your made up ball park numbers more useful?

Okay. I don't think they are more useful. I'm exaggerating. And I don't think this stat is useless. But it's not what I'm talking about. For example, in 2014, Chicago's 9-month stat was higher than Harvards (~15% to ~14%). But that didn't mean more Chicago students from c/o 2014 clerked than Harvard students.

Why should we care about gross numbers though since we measure every other outcome by percentage of class?

User avatar
Lavitz

Gold
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 am

Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf
Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

again, this is useless.

And how are your made up ball park numbers more useful?

Okay. I don't think they are more useful. I'm exaggerating. And I don't think this stat is useless. But it's not what I'm talking about. For example, in 2014, Chicago's 9-month stat was higher than Harvards (~15% to ~14%). But that didn't mean more Chicago students from c/o 2014 clerked than Harvard students.

Why should we care about gross numbers though since we measure every other outcome by percentage of class?

He means that those stats just show that 15% of the c/o 2016 is clerking 9 months out. But if grads line up clerkships for later terms, those won't show up in the numbers. So if you include later terms, maybe only 20% of the total Chicago c/o 2016 will clerk vs. something like 30% for the total Harvard c/o 2016.

User avatar
xn3345

New
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby xn3345 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 am

Lavitz wrote:
Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Rigo wrote:Harvard fed clerk rate is 19.2% for c/o 2016
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... duates.pdf
Chicago fed clerk rate is 16.7% for c/o 2016
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/files/file/ ... _final.pdf

again, this is useless.

And how are your made up ball park numbers more useful?

Okay. I don't think they are more useful. I'm exaggerating. And I don't think this stat is useless. But it's not what I'm talking about. For example, in 2014, Chicago's 9-month stat was higher than Harvards (~15% to ~14%). But that didn't mean more Chicago students from c/o 2014 clerked than Harvard students.

Why should we care about gross numbers though since we measure every other outcome by percentage of class?

He means that those stats just show that 15% of the c/o 2016 is clerking 9 months out. But if grads line up clerkships for later terms, those won't show up in the numbers. So if you include later terms, maybe only 20% of the total Chicago c/o 2016 will clerk vs. something like 30% for the total Harvard c/o 2016.


Are those stats approximately accurate? Is there any data available on that metric? Also, jbags, are these stats less than useful because they dont show the full picture or because clerkship numbers are useless generally because they make Columbia look bad?

User avatar
Lavitz

Gold
Posts: 3402
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Lavitz » Tue May 02, 2017 11:32 am

xn3345 wrote:Are those stats approximately accurate? Is there any data available on that metric?

Not sure which stats you're referring to, but to clarify, I made up my 20% vs. 30% numbers. Just saying it's technically possible. Not sure what jb's ballparks are based on. Afaik, few schools make data on how many people from each class clerk at some point publicly available, but I'm sure the schools have it, hence:
hlsperson123 wrote:It's private OCS data that I had to use my HLS login to access. I can't link it to a public forum.

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby guynourmin » Tue May 02, 2017 11:54 am

I have seen info from both Michigan and Northwestern about how many people they have clerking next year, not just from the last class, and (as expected) those numbers are much higher than their current 9 month out rates. Nothing coming close to stating how many people from 2-3 classes ago have clerked, though.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Monday » Tue May 02, 2017 12:11 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2334
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Monday wrote:
Rigo wrote:I wonder what OP did.

Taking bets.


I bet Harvard. The fact that he was asking the question meant that he already knew his answer. Because there is objectively not a question.

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Rigo » Tue May 02, 2017 2:49 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Monday wrote:
Rigo wrote:I wonder what OP did.

Taking bets.

I bet Harvard. The fact that he was asking the question meant that he already knew his answer. Because there is objectively not a question.

Yeah I never understand CCN fully vs. Harvard posts. Butler vs. Harvard, fine. But not the full rides.

Monday

Silver
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:36 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Monday » Tue May 02, 2017 3:29 pm

.
Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Tue May 02, 2017 3:48 pm

I bet Chicago. There's just no way someone intelligent enough to land these options would have a total lack of comprehension of debt. Unless he's K-JD

User avatar
Dcc617

Gold
Posts: 2334
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Dcc617 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:05 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I bet Chicago. There's just no way someone intelligent enough to land these options would have a total lack of comprehension of debt. Unless he's K-JD


30 day profile picture bet?

User avatar
Mullens

Silver
Posts: 1054
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 am

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Mullens » Tue May 02, 2017 5:08 pm

My bet is OP goes to Harvard, attributes all success to HARVARD, and refuses to acknowledge that he could've gotten the exact same outcome out of Chicago (even though deep down he knows it's true).

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of OP's financial future.

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby shadowfax » Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Mullens wrote:My bet is OP goes to Harvard, attributes all success to HARVARD, and refuses to acknowledge that he could've gotten the exact same outcome out of Chicago (even though deep down he knows it's true).

I hope I'm wrong for the sake of OP's financial future.


I just hate when I go to work in the morning and have to step over all those HYS'ers who took on all that debt. Damn nuisances. Chicago is the better choice here but the op's future will still be bright if H is the choice. Best choice, better choice, no bad choice.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze
Posts: 329
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Tue May 02, 2017 8:03 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:I bet Chicago. There's just no way someone intelligent enough to land these options would have a total lack of comprehension of debt. Unless he's K-JD


30 day profile picture bet?

Deal! 8)

User avatar
VeiledProtectorate

New
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:54 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby VeiledProtectorate » Tue May 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Whenever the OP goes missing after the first 2-3 pages of the thread, you always know they took H over $$$$

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Pure Applesauce » Tue May 02, 2017 8:12 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:I bet Chicago. There's just no way someone intelligent enough to land these options would have a total lack of comprehension of debt. Unless he's K-JD


so, you're new here?

User avatar
Lordcarnus123

New
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Postby Lordcarnus123 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:04 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Monday wrote:
Rigo wrote:I wonder what OP did.

Taking bets.


I bet Harvard. The fact that he was asking the question meant that he already knew his answer. Because there is objectively not a question.

Not too bad a read on my priors. I'll give 3:2 odds to H



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests