Will going to a school OOS lock me out of the Louisiana job market, re: common vs. civil? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hennessy

Gold

Will going to a school OOS lock me out of the Louisiana job market, re: common vs. civil?

Post by Hennessy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 pm

I want to be a PD (or generally to practice PI) in Louisiana. I got into significantly better schools outside of the state.

Would going to school in GA or TX prevent me from returning to LA, or at least weaken the knowledge needed to take the LA bar?

Looking for Louisiana attorneys to weigh in.

deadpanic

Silver

Re: Will going to a school OOS lock me out of the Louisiana job market, re: common vs. civil?

Post by deadpanic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Not a LA attorney, but had a couple of law school classmates from a nearby state that practice there.

It won't necessarily lock you out, but it will be an uphill battle. What schools are we talking about? Going to Emory over Tulane or LSU would not be going to a "significantly better school," especially if you want to work in Louisiana, and especially considering you want to be a PD. You will need to intern there as much as possible, and they won't really care about your school, only your commitment and quality of work (and just luck, if they actually have an opening). Going to a school outside the state (and honestly, probably even the T14 in this scenario) would be entirely the wrong move for your career goals.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”