Berkeley v. Duke

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RuthBaderGunsberg

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Berkeley v. Duke

Postby RuthBaderGunsberg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:26 pm

deleted
Last edited by RuthBaderGunsberg on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rizzlebizness

Bronze
Posts: 119
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:32 am

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby rizzlebizness » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

RuthBaderGunsberg wrote:Hey all long time lurker first time poster here seeking the sage wisdom of all you lovely TSLers that have been keeping me very entertained all cycle.

I've been going back and forth between Berkeley and Duke since visiting the two last month. I thought money was going to be the deciding factor, because up until yesterday Duke had offered me money and Berkeley hadn't. However, Berkeley finally came through with scholly $ yesterday. With in-state tuition, the costs of attendance would be pretty much equal at this point.

Long-term goal is to get into educational law both policy and advocacy work. However, I am prepared to pursue big law for at least a few years to make a dent in the debt I'm about to take on. But, I would like to form some public interest/education sector connections while in law school to make the transition easier later on if I decide to go that route. Ultimately, I think I'd be fine ending up in the Bay, NY, or even abroad after law school. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts about these two schools as I'm truly stumped. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


We are financial aid and school decision twins. I also received my Berkeley scholly yesterday... and while it is lower it does come in line with Duke from a COA perspective. Those are also both the two schools that I'm deciding between and after both ASWs it is a tough choice I need to make by next Friday. Good luck in your decision!

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:38 pm

RuthBaderGunsberg wrote:Hey all long time lurker first time poster here seeking the sage wisdom of all you lovely TSLers that have been keeping me very entertained all cycle.

I've been going back and forth between Berkeley and Duke since visiting the two last month. I thought money was going to be the deciding factor, because up until yesterday Duke had offered me money and Berkeley hadn't. However, Berkeley finally came through with scholly $ yesterday. With in-state tuition, the costs of attendance would be pretty much equal at this point.

Long-term goal is to get into educational law both policy and advocacy work. However, I am prepared to pursue big law for at least a few years to make a dent in the debt I'm about to take on. But, I would like to form some public interest/education sector connections while in law school to make the transition easier later on if I decide to go that route. Ultimately, I think I'd be fine ending up in the Bay, NY, or even abroad after law school. Would love to hear everyone's thoughts about these two schools as I'm truly stumped. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


That you want to do educational law is great!

Unless you have some other stated preferences that you haven't shared, Duke is the choice.

That said, I think you should think more critically about where you live after you graduate. Duke will be better for you if you want to do NY; Boalt will be better for you if you want to do Bay Area. The two cities, while similar in some ways (e.g. vibrant food/bar scene, good culture, smart/hip people), they are vastly different in other ways (e.g. access to outdoor activities, weather, etc).

RuthBaderGunsberg

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby RuthBaderGunsberg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:45 pm

deleted
Last edited by RuthBaderGunsberg on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grades??

Silver
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm

RuthBaderGunsberg wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
That you want to do educational law is great!

Unless you have some other stated preferences that you haven't shared, Duke is the choice.

That said, I think you should think more critically about where you live after you graduate. Duke will be better for you if you want to do NY; Boalt will be better for you if you want to do Bay Area. The two cities, while similar in some ways (e.g. vibrant food/bar scene, good culture, smart/hip people), they are vastly different in other ways (e.g. access to outdoor activities, weather, etc).


Why do you say Duke is the choice?

I have family in the Bay and have always loved the area. However, I went to undergrad in NY and loved having seasons - didn't like that I became a bit of an angry New Yorker. However, one of my brothers and lots of friends still live out there, so I think I could be perfectly happy on the east as well.


Duke has significantly better placement numbers, cheaper COL, and better BBQ. Given biglaw goals, Duke is the answer here.

User avatar
SmokeytheBear

Silver
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:51 pm

grades?? wrote:
RuthBaderGunsberg wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
That you want to do educational law is great!

Unless you have some other stated preferences that you haven't shared, Duke is the choice.

That said, I think you should think more critically about where you live after you graduate. Duke will be better for you if you want to do NY; Boalt will be better for you if you want to do Bay Area. The two cities, while similar in some ways (e.g. vibrant food/bar scene, good culture, smart/hip people), they are vastly different in other ways (e.g. access to outdoor activities, weather, etc).


Why do you say Duke is the choice?

I have family in the Bay and have always loved the area. However, I went to undergrad in NY and loved having seasons - didn't like that I became a bit of an angry New Yorker. However, one of my brothers and lots of friends still live out there, so I think I could be perfectly happy on the east as well.


Duke has significantly better placement numbers, cheaper COL, and better BBQ. Given biglaw goals, Duke is the answer here.


Basically for the above stated reasons (though I would counter the better BBQ with better Mexican food in the Bay).

But your response is to my point -- I think you need to think for critically about where you want to be after you graduate. All things equal, the answer is Duke. But if you like the seasons, then you should probably go to Duke and take your better shot at NY. If you like outdoors and mountains, go to Boalt and take your better shot at the Bay.

ithrowds

New
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby ithrowds » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:27 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
grades?? wrote:
RuthBaderGunsberg wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
That you want to do educational law is great!

Unless you have some other stated preferences that you haven't shared, Duke is the choice.

That said, I think you should think more critically about where you live after you graduate. Duke will be better for you if you want to do NY; Boalt will be better for you if you want to do Bay Area. The two cities, while similar in some ways (e.g. vibrant food/bar scene, good culture, smart/hip people), they are vastly different in other ways (e.g. access to outdoor activities, weather, etc).


Why do you say Duke is the choice?

I have family in the Bay and have always loved the area. However, I went to undergrad in NY and loved having seasons - didn't like that I became a bit of an angry New Yorker. However, one of my brothers and lots of friends still live out there, so I think I could be perfectly happy on the east as well.


Duke has significantly better placement numbers, cheaper COL, and better BBQ. Given biglaw goals, Duke is the answer here.


Basically for the above stated reasons (though I would counter the better BBQ with better Mexican food in the Bay).

But your response is to my point -- I think you need to think for critically about where you want to be after you graduate. All things equal, the answer is Duke. But if you like the seasons, then you should probably go to Duke and take your better shot at NY. If you like outdoors and mountains, go to Boalt and take your better shot at the Bay.


Fwiw, I'm from the Bay and picked Duke (currently a 2L). Both great schools, have been surprised that the vibe of Durham is very progressive/up & coming. You can get back to the Bay pretty easily if you want to (given your ties). I don't know a ton about Berkeley's placement but I'd assume you could get NYC from there relatively easily too.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby Pure Applesauce » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:38 pm

what are you stats?

What is the COA at both schools?

RuthBaderGunsberg

New
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Berkeley v. Duke

Postby RuthBaderGunsberg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:44 pm

deleted



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests