Whittier Shutting Down

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:05 pm

vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.



And besides, this school has medians of 146 and 2.85, so please tell me about all the superior options that these kids turned down for the convenience of Whittier.

They enrolled there because they had no other options. Period.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:10 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:I still have not read a post that comes remotely close to effectively arguing how one's socioeconomic background changes the calculus - or access to information - in determining whether Whittier Law is worth a quarter million dollars... Or even more, considering being a 4L is apparently a badge of honor there.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the calculus changes; Whittier is objectively bad at sticker. People are arguing whether education background and SES affect whether an individual can adequately do the calculus



If you can graduate high school and a 4 year college, you can adequately do the calculus.

That's not true but you seem to lack the mental faculties to comprehend nuance so I'm going to save my breath

curry1

Silver
Posts: 877
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby curry1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:14 pm

vcap180 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.



And besides, this school has medians of 146 and 2.85, so please tell me about all the superior options that these kids turned down for the convenience of Whittier.

They enrolled there because they had no other options. Period.


lmao at the idea that Whittier kids couldn't schlep the 8 minute drive to UCI (or even 15 minutes to Chapman!). We aren't talking about some TTT in North Dakota. The reality is that a lot of people don't want to accept that they aren't intellectually capable of becoming a lawyer (doctor etc.). You see the same thing with people applying to med school five times before ultimately going to the Caribbean or just giving up. Fortunately, the AMA is sensible and doesn't allow the equivalent of schools like Whittier to exist. Whittier and other such schools undoubtedly prey on unfortunate people and that's wrong. But let's not tell absurd stories about how they could have gone to better schools but because of incredibly tough personal reasons they turned all of those down. The stats just don't bear that out.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:17 pm

curry1 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.



And besides, this school has medians of 146 and 2.85, so please tell me about all the superior options that these kids turned down for the convenience of Whittier.

They enrolled there because they had no other options. Period.


lmao at the idea that Whittier kids couldn't schlep the 8 minute drive to UCI (or even 15 minutes to Chapman!). We aren't talking about some TTT in North Dakota. The reality is that a lot of people don't want to accept that they aren't intellectually capable of becoming a lawyer (doctor etc.). You see the same thing with people applying to med school five times before ultimately going to the Caribbean or just giving up. Fortunately, the AMA is sensible and doesn't allow the equivalent of schools like Whittier to exist. Whittier and other such schools undoubtedly prey on unfortunate people and that's wrong. But let's not tell absurd stories about how they could have gone to better schools but because of incredibly tough personal reasons they turned all of those down. The stats just don't bear that out.



100% this.

cougs1112

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby cougs1112 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:18 pm

While I still believe that most of the students at this school are dumbfucks, I also believe that everyone on the board at Whittier and every other diploma mill should have an electric rod stuck up their ass for at least 7 hours straight.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:19 pm

cougs1112 wrote:While I still believe that most of the students at this school are dumbfucks, I also believe that everyone on the board at Whittier and every other diploma mill should have an electric rod stuck up their ass for at least 7 hours straight.



Right. As I've said in previous posts, I think the school and the kids are equally culpable.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:21 pm

vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:30 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:43 pm

vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.

Damn, you're dumb. I understand you have no empathy but you're not even operating in the reality most people live in. The post by haus on the last page pretty much captured the essence of the situation, yet you seem incapable of differentiating how you think the world should be and how it actually is.
Last edited by Nebby on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougs1112

New
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby cougs1112 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

vcap180 wrote:
cougs1112 wrote:While I still believe that most of the students at this school are dumbfucks, I also believe that everyone on the board at Whittier and every other diploma mill should have an electric rod stuck up their ass for at least 7 hours straight.



Right. As I've said in previous posts, I think the school and the kids are equally culpable.


Good to see I'm not the only one who believes in punishment by electric rod up the butt

User avatar
Greenteachurro

Silver
Posts: 1387
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Greenteachurro » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 pm

vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.


Look the point isn't whether or not these people are smart or put in the effort to be a competitive candidate. I think some people are arguing that if you have been told that a law degree is a ticket to success and you live in an area with like 5-10 law schools, and all you need to do is to get into one of them, then Whittier probably seems fine. If you thought that law was a ticket to success and everyone tells you it's a ticket to success, then you probably don't think there are law schools that are scams.

Yeah I don't think anyone is really arguing that Whittier students should take ZERO blame. Just that law schools that play into some people's false perceptions are predatory and maybe a little more to blame for the situation.
Last edited by Greenteachurro on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Y'all have so much more patience than I, haha

User avatar
Pomeranian

Bronze
Posts: 262
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Pomeranian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:50 pm

haus wrote:It is worth while considering how society views education in general. Higher education is seen as a ticket to a better life. Sure getting an undergrad degree from Harvard is better than one from the Rocko Club School for Women, yet people frequently face or hear of job requirements for a college degree, and for some jobs 'Rocko' may just get you there. If education can be a pathway to opportunity, it is easy to think that even more education will provide even more opportunity.

There are numerous reasons why people should think of employment in law being different from other fields, but this is not necessarily obvious from the outside looking in.


This whole Bernie Sanders "everyone needs to go to college" mentality is so wrong. The U.S. should much more emphasis on the trades and IT, not pushing everyone to take on 200K in debt for a Women's Studies and Minor in Basketweaving degree.
Last edited by Pomeranian on Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Pomeranian wrote:
haus wrote:It is worth while considering how society views education in general. Higher education is seen as a ticket to a better life. Sure getting an undergrad degree from Harvard is better than one from the Rocko Club School for Women, yet people frequently face or hear of job requirements for a college degree, and for some jobs 'Rocko' may just get you there. If education can be a pathway to opportunity, it is easy to think that even more education will provide even more opportunity.

There are numerous reasons why people should think of employment in law being different from other fields, but this is not necessarily obvious from the outside looking in.


The U.S. should much more emphasis on the trades and IT, not pushing everyone to take out 200K in debt for a Women's Studies and Minor in Basketweaving degree.

The US doesn't put emphasis on STEM? Damn the hot takes tonight are just popping out of the oven

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.


Look the point isn't whether or not these people are smart or put in the effort to be a competitive candidate. I think some people are arguing that if you have been told that a law degree is a ticket to success and you live in an area with like 5-10 law schools, and all you need to do is to get into one of them, then Whittier probably seems fine. If you thought that law was a ticket to success and everyone tells you it's a ticket to success, then you probably don't think there are law schools that are scams.

Yeah I don't think anyone is really arguing that Whittier students should take ZERO blame. Just that law schools that play into some people's false perceptions are predatory and maybe a little more to blame for the situation.



and for the 100000000th time, 10 minutes of google research would have disabused them of this notion.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:58 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Greenteachurro wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.


Look the point isn't whether or not these people are smart or put in the effort to be a competitive candidate. I think some people are arguing that if you have been told that a law degree is a ticket to success and you live in an area with like 5-10 law schools, and all you need to do is to get into one of them, then Whittier probably seems fine. If you thought that law was a ticket to success and everyone tells you it's a ticket to success, then you probably don't think there are law schools that are scams.

Yeah I don't think anyone is really arguing that Whittier students should take ZERO blame. Just that law schools that play into some people's false perceptions are predatory and maybe a little more to blame for the situation.



and for the 100000000th time, 10 minutes of google research would have disabused them of this notion.

I mean, reality shows this isn't true but feel free to keep living in your bubble

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.

Damn, you're dumb. I understand you have no empathy but you're not even operating in the reality most people live in. The post by haus on the last page pretty much captured the essence of the situation, yet you seem incapable of differentiating how you think the world should be and how it actually is.


lol you're right - I am dumb for thinking that Whittier was probably the only option for these kids. And I thought you were done wasting your breath? Nah, we both know you'll keep posting.

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 pm

Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Greenteachurro wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.


Look the point isn't whether or not these people are smart or put in the effort to be a competitive candidate. I think some people are arguing that if you have been told that a law degree is a ticket to success and you live in an area with like 5-10 law schools, and all you need to do is to get into one of them, then Whittier probably seems fine. If you thought that law was a ticket to success and everyone tells you it's a ticket to success, then you probably don't think there are law schools that are scams.

Yeah I don't think anyone is really arguing that Whittier students should take ZERO blame. Just that law schools that play into some people's false perceptions are predatory and maybe a little more to blame for the situation.



and for the 100000000th time, 10 minutes of google research would have disabused them of this notion.

I mean, reality shows this isn't true but feel free to keep living in your bubble


If it takes you more than 10 minutes of research to realize that Whittier is a joke of a school, you have bigger issues.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.

Damn, you're dumb. I understand you have no empathy but you're not even operating in the reality most people live in. The post by haus on the last page pretty much captured the essence of the situation, yet you seem incapable of differentiating how you think the world should be and how it actually is.


lol you're right - I am dumb for thinking that Whittier was probably the only option for these kids. And I thought you were done wasting your breath? Nah, we both know you'll keep posting.

Yes. I decided your dumb was just dumb enough that I'll keep reminding you of it until you eventually give up. I'm taking the moral low ground, so to speak

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?



I have read enough of your posts to know that you are perfectly reasonable, so I am not going to harp on this much longer, but I really think you're being ridiculous here. I look back at this school's medians -- 146 and 2.85 -- and the reality is that these kids are either objectively stupid, or more likely, refused to put in the necessary effort to be a REMOTELY competitive candidate.

Based on their admissions numbers, at least 75% of their most recent class would not have had a better option.

And in response to your last comment, I would say you shouldn't believe what one person says when making one of the most significant decisions of your life.

Damn, you're dumb. I understand you have no empathy but you're not even operating in the reality most people live in. The post by haus on the last page pretty much captured the essence of the situation, yet you seem incapable of differentiating how you think the world should be and how it actually is.


lol you're right - I am dumb for thinking that Whittier was probably the only option for these kids. And I thought you were done wasting your breath? Nah, we both know you'll keep posting.

Yes. I decided your dumb was just dumb enough that I'll keep reminding you of it until you eventually give up. I'm taking the moral low ground, so to speak



so since you cant help yourself (i.e. have nothing better to do), please point out exactly what I said that was false, let alone dumb.

User avatar
Rahviveh

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Rahviveh » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:10 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?


Extremely credited post.

It's not intuitive at all to people that most of higher education, and in this case law school, is a scam parasitic operation that primarily exists to transfer wealth to a certain group of people. It takes a certain amount of cynicism to be open to the idea. After all, hundreds of people enroll at these schools every year. The faculty and administration go around telling their stories about what great opportunities await potential students. Nobody really calls any of this out except people on the internet, since people in real life are far less likely to be negative.

Why would you ever have any reason to question it? It can't be the case that all these people are lying and misleading you. It can't be the case that a school would be allowed to charge six figures and have an 80% unemployment rate. Wouldn't they get shut down?

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:13 pm

Rahviveh wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I feel pretty sure there are a lot of people who live near Whittier and want to go there because you go to whatever school is closest and they heard from someone local that it was a good school. I don't think it's because they "wont take no for an answer!" at all.



You can't be serious!!

There are tons of infinitely better schools right near Whittier.

1) most of the nearby schools aren't any better (Western State? St. Francis School of Law? Pacific Coast? Pacific West?).
2) you're underestimating how regional/local some people's lives can be.

Even if, say, you applied to Loyola or UCI, if you don't get in there but do get into Whittier, I don't think that's some weird stubborn "I won't take no for an answer!!" any more than someone who doesn't get into Harvard or Yale who ends up going to Cornell. You got into school, right? Lots of people still apply the whole "reach/safety" school analysis to law school.

Look, I'm not saying that going to Whittier is a good idea, at all. But I think the people dismissing the Whittier students as stupid and responsible for their own situation underestimate how not transparent this is and how what some people just don't know. So you go to a local college and your pre-law advisor person tells you you can't study for the LSAT (which people here have reported being told) and you take it cold and you do poorly, but you want to go to law school, you don't know any lawyers, and your pre-law advisor says you just need to get a JD and Whittier is fine. Why wouldn't you believe them?


Extremely credited post.

It's not intuitive at all to people that most of higher education, and in this case law school, is a scam parasitic operation that primarily exists to transfer wealth to a certain group of people. It takes a certain amount of cynicism to be open to the idea. After all, hundreds of people enroll at these schools every year. The faculty and administration go around telling their stories about what great opportunities await potential students. Nobody really calls any of this out except people on the internet, since people in real life are far less likely to be negative.

Why would you ever have any reason to question it? It can't be the case that all these people are lying and misleading you. It can't be the case that a school would be allowed to charge six figures and have an 80% unemployment rate. Wouldn't they get shut down?


when making major life decisions, the old adage "trust but verify" doesn't seem like too much to ask.

Nony's post would be credited if this was 10 years ago. The scams have been exposed and the information is easily accessible.

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31199
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:17 pm

vcap180 wrote:

People often rely on word of mouth and what people they know tell them. (that's kinda the entire idea of lay prestige in a nutshell)

It's a trope that higher education is the secret to opportunity. That trope isn't necessarily true, but millions don't know that. No one operates with all information, and some have more than others. SES and familial educational background correlate with what base level of information someone has and what tools they have to acquire additional information.

You fallaciously assume that everyone should be exactly like you, therefore you reject that anyone wouldn't do things exactly as you do and reject any contrary thought.

Everyone had raised this and various issues.

You, being dumb, fail to learn or listen. This is ironically the same conduct you're accusing Whittier students of.

Anyway, that is all

vcap180

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Postby vcap180 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Nebby wrote:
vcap180 wrote:

People often rely on word of mouth and what people they know tell them. (that's kinda the entire idea of lay prestige in a nutshell)

It's a trope that higher education is the secret to opportunity. That trope isn't necessarily true, but millions don't know that. No one operates with all information, and some have more than others. SES and familial educational background correlate with what base level of information someone has and what tools they have to acquire additional information.

You fallaciously assume that everyone should be exactly like you, therefore you reject that anyone wouldn't do things exactly as you do and reject any contrary thought.

Everyone had raised this and various issues.

You, being dumb, fail to learn or listen. This is ironically the same conduct you're accusing Whittier students of.

Anyway, that is all



Nah, i only assume that people should do basic research before making major life decisions. And in this case, sufficient research can be done with 10 minutes and an Internet connection.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests