Tulane or Gap Year Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Opinions

Tulane
13%
Houston
No votes
SMU (Waitlist)
4%
Gap Year
83%

Total votes: 23

sicemlawschool

New

Tulane or Gap Year

Post by sicemlawschool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Hey guys! I've narrowed it down to Tulane, Houston, or potentially SMU (waitlisted).
On the other hand, I've also been recently thinking about taking a year off to get more in the law school mindset and in order to not get burnt out. I've been applying to different paralegal and legal secretary positions but I do not have a position yet.

I'd love to get insights and opinions on going straight K-JD or if not, either deferring admission or reapplying next year? Would it hurt to reapply to the same schools again the next year? Has anyone deferred admission to a law school and gone there after a year off?
Any suggestions on looking for gap year jobs or does anyone know of law firms who tend to hire entry level paralegals? I'm definitely stressing since it's already mid-April and i'm a type A planner :roll:

-Considering Tulane, Houston, SMU (Waitlist). Liked Tulane the best so far, even though it's not in Texas.

Scholarships:
Tulane $30,000/year
Houston $10,000/year
SMU Waitlisted (and don't want to pay sticker)
Financing through family help and loans

I want to eventually work in Austin, Texas where I was born and raised. I have significant ties in the area and have interned in Austin every summer. Yes, I realize it's a small legal market. Yes, I realize UT is in Austin. Otherwise, I would prefer to work in Dallas over Houston but i'll take employment where I can as long as I'm in Texas.

Right now, I'm interested in Real Estate law but also interested in government employment. I also currently work at a litigation firm as an intern and that has become very interesting to me as well. I would prefer to start in private sector before starting in government.

160/ 3.2 (with GPA addendum, witnessed a friend pass away Sophomore year, bombed that semester obviously)
Taken the LSAT twice (157, 160). My practice tests were usually around 159-162.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Re: Tulane or Gap Year

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:41 pm

If I were you, I'd take a gap year and study for the Sept LSAT one more time. Tulane for working in Texas isn't a great option. SMU or UH can be defensible but neither at that cost. If you increase a few points and get more money at UH, the gap year will be worth it.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Take the gap year and get a better LSAT score. Use the forum on the topic here for tips; you can do a lot better than that and it will make your life a lot easier. Six or seven more points and you're in at UT.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Take a gap year to work and try for another retake. If you don't do any better, you probably have the same options plus some work experience. If you do better, you have more money at UH plus the possibility of UT and/or $$ at SMU.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Regardless of your stats, I think taking a gap year is a good idea - gain some valuable work experience, save some money, and in your case, retake the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Gap, retake, reapply.

Get that LSAT up to 165 and you're looking at good scholarships from UH/SMU. Get it up to 167+ and you're at least reasonably competitive for UT. Austin can be a challenge for median bros from UT to break into. Tulane (and to a lesser extent UH) will be orders of magnitude harder. At least give yourself a fighting chance at reaching your goals--don't rule them out from day 1 simply by choosing the wrong school.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:At least give yourself a fighting chance at reaching your goals--don't rule them out from day 1 simply by choosing the wrong school.
Just to be clear, he is saying that paying well over $100,000 to go to Tulane with the goal of working in Austin (or TX generally) is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot right before you start to run a marathon that you've bet your house on that you'll finish. It just really doesn't make a ton of sense.

Take a year, take 3! There are a handful of decent schools in Texas and there's no reason for you to go elsewhere.

sicemlawschool

New

Post by sicemlawschool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:Take the gap year and get a better LSAT score. Use the forum on the topic here for tips; you can do a lot better than that and it will make your life a lot easier. Six or seven more points and you're in at UT.
even with that low of a gpa you think?

sicemlawschool

New

Post by sicemlawschool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:33 pm

Also can anyone give any insight as to why I may have been waitlisted at SMU? I was in very quickly at Tulane and Houston with scholarship. While they are not considered quite as good as SMU, they're not too far off the mark. GPA maybe?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 pm

sicemlawschool wrote:Also can anyone give any insight as to why I may have been waitlisted at SMU? I was in very quickly at Tulane and Houston with scholarship. While they are not considered quite as good as SMU, they're not too far off the mark. GPA maybe?
No, but they did you a favor by taking it out of consideration at sticker. Retake and get into UT.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:22 am

Roy McAvoy wrote:
sicemlawschool wrote:Also can anyone give any insight as to why I may have been waitlisted at SMU? I was in very quickly at Tulane and Houston with scholarship. While they are not considered quite as good as SMU, they're not too far off the mark. GPA maybe?
No, but they did you a favor by taking it out of consideration at sticker. Retake and get into UT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”