Cornell ($) vs. Georgetown vs. Vanderbilt ($)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
iluvlawschool

New

Cornell ($) vs. Georgetown vs. Vanderbilt ($)

Postby iluvlawschool » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Deleted
Last edited by iluvlawschool on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Cornell ($) vs. Georgetown vs. Vanderbilt ($)

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 pm

iluvlawschool wrote:-I've taken the LSAT twice but will probably sit again in June to see what happens

retake, reapply, don't waste the seat deposit money anywhere.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:37 pm

Those aren't good options. Retake in September and re-apply next cycle.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

None of the above. Retake/reapply, and get some work/life experience in the meantime.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Horrifying options. Life-crushing, soul-consuming debt. Save yourself and run from these debt-monsters as fast as your feet will carry you (retake/reapply next year).

If you're from Miami and have serious interest in ending up there, you owe it to yourself to apply to FSU and UF. If you can get scholly money from Cornell, you might be able to get a full w/ stipend at these law school. And, ironically, as far as Florida biglaw placement is concerned, you'd be hard-pressed to do better. Florida is an insular market and most employers are notorious for hiring from UF/FSU before they'll even look at lower T13 students.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Postby Pure Applesauce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:56 pm

possibly the easiest thread I have seen

Retake/reapply

Do not pay these prices for these schools

BansheeScream

New

Postby BansheeScream » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am

Going to echo what everyone else said about retaking and reapplying.

I also think that you need to apply as soon as apps open. You definitely underperformed your numbers in terms of scholarship. I know people who have almost the same name numbers as you and were offered 3x more by Vanderbilt and Cornell. Also, Georgetown at sticker is a terrible outcome and I would highly recommend regardless of what you do that you not take that option.

iluvlawschool

New

Postby iluvlawschool » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:56 pm

Last edited by iluvlawschool on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:00 pm

Smart to retake in June and then you should reapply the first day apps open in the fall.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:23 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Horrifying options. Life-crushing, soul-consuming debt. Save yourself and run from these debt-monsters as fast as your feet will carry you (retake/reapply next year).

If you're from Miami and have serious interest in ending up there, you owe it to yourself to apply to FSU and UF. If you can get scholly money from Cornell, you might be able to get a full w/ stipend at these law school. And, ironically, as far as Florida biglaw placement is concerned, you'd be hard-pressed to do better. Florida is an insular market and most employers are notorious for hiring from UF/FSU before they'll even look at lower T13 students.

I 100% agree that retake/reapply is the move here because 3.85 is a great GPA and these schools would presumably leave him in too much debt. BUT, given OP's interest in biglaw, I think that both FSU and UF are the wrong choices. OP wants biglaw, is open to NYC, and only wants to get back to Miami eventually. There is no way you can count on getting the grades you'd need at UF/FSU and I'll bet those FL firms would at least be willing to take at a look at a T14 student with OP's ironclad ties.

It seems like going to T14 --> Major Market big law --> fl firms is a much more realistic goal, especially with his strong ties to the market.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�