GULC vs Texas Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
relisher

New

GULC vs Texas

Post by relisher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 pm

So I'm trying to decide between Georgetown and Texas. I have waitlists pending at UVA, Penn, and Duke, which may change the calculus...but as for now, I'm deciding between these two schools.

After factoring in in-state tuition, scholarship, and some family support, the cost of attending Georgetown will be $115,000 and the cost of attending Texas will be $60,000. At this point, I believe I am unlikely to get more money from either of these schools through scholarship negotiation.

I currently live in DC (where I've been for the past two years) and am from Texas. I went to undergrad in Texas and grew up in the state. However, I have little interest in remaining in Texas following graduation. Ideally, I'd like to work in DC following law school, but I get that the DC job market can tough to crack.

I've taken the LSAT twice and applied with a 168/3.6...not particularly interested in retaking at this point

I'd prefer Georgetown...but is it crazy to spend $50,000 more to go there?

Any input?

cavalier1138

Re: GULC vs Texas

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:57 pm

What kind of DC work do you want to do?

Regardless, Georgetown is probably the right choice. I ask about career goals, because Georgetown may not set you up well for some career tracks, regardless of geography.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:01 pm

I'd prefer UT in this choice, but your desire to end up in DC/outside Texas complicates it considerably. UT with $60k debt is a pretty solid outcome, but you have to plan on sticking in Texas (it can send you elsewhere, just shouldn't plan on it from the outset). GULC for $115k isn't bad either, and if you really want to end up somewhere other than TX that bad, GULC will place nationally better than UT. Plus it leaves open the option of returning to TX if you end up at median and need to hustle for a job and rely on your ties to get you a job.

Other than being in DC, are you thinking Biglaw, government, or some other PI? Could make a big difference in picking GULC over UT and would certainly affect this decision.

I'll begrudgingly say GULC is the better choice, but if you're not adamant of ending up outside of TX, saving $50k by going to UT is the financially better investment in my opinion.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:03 pm

What type of work do you want to do and what are your DC connections like in that field?

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

relisher wrote: I currently live in DC (where I've been for the past two years) and am from Texas. I went to undergrad in Texas and grew up in the state. However, I have little interest in remaining in Texas following graduation.
Don't go to Texas then. Texas is great if you are gunning for Texas or are very comfortable with Texas as a fallback option if other markets fail.

The people going to DC from Texas are top of the class and typically are going clerkships or biglaw (or both) right after. The run of the mill DC firms don't hire Texas kids really, you have to stand out.

$115k for GULC isn't a terrible amount of money if you are accurately estimating costs, including living expenses. $60k for Texas is obviously the financially optimal choice, but that's not always the best personal decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:40 pm

$115K of debt for GULC isn't crazy. And you shouldn't go to UT if you know that you don't want to live and work in Texas. So I guess GULC if those are your only two options.

By the way, a better choice might be a regional school (in a region in which you want to live) on a full scholarship.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:48 pm

*** TLS is now owned by an objective lemon. Post nuked. ***

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”