Duke ($$$) v. Michigan ($$$) v. NYU ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
angie-lawschool

New

Duke ($$$) v. Michigan ($$$) v. NYU ($)

Post by angie-lawschool » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:26 pm

Hey guys! I need some help...
I'm deciding between Duke, Michigan and NYU. My interest is in international human rights law. Duke and Michigan have each given me $140k total, and NYU gave me $40k total. I love NYU but I'm really concerned about cost and what that would mean for me after law school. What do you guys think?

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Re: Duke ($$$) v. Michigan ($$$) v. NYU ($)

Post by Pure Applesauce » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:36 pm

What are you stats

What are your total COA

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:39 pm

What are your career goals? Its hard to determine which school is best suited without knowing that.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:46 pm

Those are amazing scholarships from Duke and Michigan. Lucky you! Go to whichever you like best, given that they are peer schools.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:48 pm

Duke or UM, depending slighty on target market/job
edit: did not see the part about internation human rights. I have no clue about that field in the least, but the non-NYU options do allow for flexibility in case you change your mind on what you want to do
Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 am

Honestly I'd try to negotiate NYU up and then take that if you truly want International Human Rights. Their LRAP has a special non-IBR integrated option if you don't qualify for PSLF (which your might not qualify for if you work in IHR).
Depends just how important that goal is to you.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:07 am

I would go with Michigan just because they have stronger international law program.
Apparently you could find awesome externships in the field if you go to Michigan. The Geneva program sends students to a bundle of international organizations in Geneva and there is no cutoffs. You could also easily land clerkship at International Criminal Court because one of the judges teach at Michigan every year.

angie-lawschool

New

Post by angie-lawschool » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:01 am

Pure Applesauce wrote:What are you stats

What are your total COA
Sure! I have a 169LSAT and a 3.85GPA. Total COA for NYU would be about $80k per year, for Michigan would be about $70 and Duke would be about the same.

angie-lawschool

New

Post by angie-lawschool » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:02 am

gilbilya wrote:I would go with Michigan just because they have stronger international law program.
Apparently you could find awesome externships in the field if you go to Michigan. The Geneva program sends students to a bundle of international organizations in Geneva and there is no cutoffs. You could also easily land clerkship at International Criminal Court because one of the judges teach at Michigan every year.
Thanks for the advice! They do have a strong international law program which is very exciting. I also just feel like there are exponentially more opportunities in international law at NYU. Do you think itd be worth the financial difference?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

angie-lawschool

New

Post by angie-lawschool » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:03 am

Rigo wrote:Honestly I'd try to negotiate NYU up and then take that if you truly want International Human Rights. Their LRAP has a special non-IBR integrated option if you don't qualify for PSLF (which your might not qualify for if you work in IHR).
Thanks Rigo! I did try and negotiate NYU up, with nada. Gave them a call to and they're uh, quite despondent haha. The IHR goal is pretty important to me though, it's the only reason I wanted to venture into law in the first place

angie-lawschool

New

Post by angie-lawschool » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

chargers21 wrote:Duke or UM, depending slighty on target market/job
edit: did not see the part about internation human rights. I have no clue about that field in the least, but the non-NYU options do allow for flexibility in case you change your mind on what you want to do
Very true!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 pm

angie-lawschool wrote:
Rigo wrote:Honestly I'd try to negotiate NYU up and then take that if you truly want International Human Rights. Their LRAP has a special non-IBR integrated option if you don't qualify for PSLF (which your might not qualify for if you work in IHR).
Thanks Rigo! I did try and negotiate NYU up, with nada. Gave them a call to and they're uh, quite despondent haha. The IHR goal is pretty important to me though, it's the only reason I wanted to venture into law in the first place
Hmm that stinks.
It's a tricky choice here, since I take it you're hoping to end up on a public interest repayment plan even if it's just mostly for COL loans at Michigan and NYU.
I'd look into the specific jobs you want and approach all schools and figure out if they will qualify for their LRAP plans (they most likely will at NYU, might not at UM/Duke). If you want a U.S. based organization but do work abroad, I'm pretty sure you'll qualify for PSLF and then I'd say to just take the money. If you want to work for the U.N. or some other multinational body, I don't think you'll qualify for PSLF and would therefore benefit more from NYU's LRAP. On the other hand, it's hard to tell you to definitely take NYU since it will be better for a unicorn job that there is only a slim chance of getting anyways.

Obviously that debt load is scary and if there's a decent chance you'll end up doing something else and want to keep non-PI options a viable option, I'd go Duke or UM. If you really want the U.N. or something, I'd look into NYU more. At least ask Duke and UM if they provide debt relief options for non-PSLF eligible PI employment since you have a pretty specific field you want to pursue. I would hate for you to be stuck with the bill at UM/Duke having to pay it all on a PI salary, but I'd also hate for you to go NYU then realize you want BigLaw or a non-legal job and be stuck with a way too expensive degree in the exact same job you could have gotten from Duke.

I don't want to weigh in too heavily and im already second-guessing my NYU stand yesterday especially if they're not going to throw you anymore money, but just want to give you things to consider. A lot of it depends on your financial situation.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”