... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
proteinshake

Gold

Re: Duke Vs. Cornell

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:Any negotiation tips? I've sent quite a few negotiations to date, many successful, so I should be fine. Just not sure how to navigate with a deposit already down
I think the most important thing is to let them know you're serious about going to Cornell if they don't up your scholly.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:19 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 pm

so you're gonna head to Cornell if they don't? I'm happy for you and sad at the same time :( :lol:

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:49 pm

chargers21 wrote:My parents want me to go to Duke, but didn't seem too hip on covering the difference in cost. Who woulda thought... Lol

Still waiting to see how negotiations work out, but I feel like Duke isn't going to play ball
Good luck man! Would you mind PMing stats? I'm targeting both Duke and Cornell next cycle, but have a strong preference for Duke because like you I hate the cold and want to stay in the South.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Where did you find the info about Duke and their NC grads? I'm curious

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 pm

I would pay a decent amount more for Duke, but for personal reasons. I am also not very debt adverse.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 pm

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Yea All Right

Silver

Post by Yea All Right » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:03 pm

I imagine that Charlotte's such a small legal market that if you for sure want to end up there, you can't count on getting market-paying biglaw. The firm I summered at is one of the firms that has a Charlotte office and pays NYC-market, and there were only 2 summers there (both from UNC, incidentally).

FWIW, I went to Cornell. Not advising one school over the other though. Just wanted to reiterate that getting biglaw in Charlotte doesn't seem easy, especially if there's so few market-paying biglaw firms in the city as you mentioned above.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:48 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:00 pm

chargers21 wrote:Thanks for the info yea all right

No help from Duke, but going to give it one last push. Also, does anyone know if a school will help out with the deposit if you had already deposited elsewhere? I don't really have much liquid cash
Are you asking if a school will help out with their own seat deposit while you've deposited elsewhere? I sincerely doubt Cornell would pay their own deposit, but they might extend their deposit deadline if you ask nicely. Keep in mind that a seat deposit is just a down payment on tuition, so if you're seriously thinking you want to go to Cornell and want to keep your spot open, you should beg or borrow to get the liquidity to pay that deposit. It sucks that you have to eat the Duke deposit, but that's the nature of admissions in law schools.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:45 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:50 pm

chargers21 wrote:Negotiation declined. Still 120k vs. 75k. If Atlanta is my new target (I have ties, but are there many jobs there?) what is the best option? Texas (no ties) and Chicago still ahead of NYC. Will the same grades (or class rank) at either ultimately give me the same non-NYC biglaw options? NYC top firms available with same grades from either? I'm just trying to see if the same options are there at median from both, as some people have been telling me Duke has the advantage in the south
Duke surely has the advantage in the South. That goes without saying to be truthful.

CR7

New

Post by CR7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:09 pm

chargers21 wrote:Negotiation declined. Still 120k vs. 75k. If Atlanta is my new target (I have ties, but are there many jobs there?) what is the best option? Texas (no ties) and Chicago still ahead of NYC. Will the same grades (or class rank) at either ultimately give me the same non-NYC biglaw options? NYC top firms available with same grades from either? I'm just trying to see if the same options are there at median from both, as some people have been telling me Duke has the advantage in the south
Duke has a strong southern brand, but it's not like Cornell is unknown in Atlanta, it still has a strong national ivy reputation...getting a big law job in Atlanta will come down to several factors when you're considering non HYS schools...grades, ties, interviewing skills, and luck will all play a factor...if an ATL firm is looking at two candidates, one from Cornell and one from duke, they'll look at what sets them apart, mainly who performed better in their class (rank and gpa). I don't believe the duke name on its own will make or break a big law job in Atlanta over Cornell imo.

Both are great schools, good luck with the choice!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Duke has more alumni in the South. Only you can decide whether that's worth the cost difference.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:33 pm

This is such a difficult choice, but the difference in cost is very significant while the difference in job prospects are not. I'd have to say Cornell here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:26 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
This is such a difficult choice, but the difference in cost is very significant while the difference in job prospects are not. I'd have to say Cornell here.
Agreed. Cornell is an NYC biglaw factory but it still has national placement. I know a guy who graduated my ug, went to Cornell and snagged a job at Foley Milwaukee with little trouble. Now he works for the feds.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
On what do you base the bolded? Are you familiar with hiring patterns and preferences in the Atlanta market?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:34 pm

dm1683 wrote:
Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Agreed. Cornell is an NYC biglaw factory but it still has national placement. I know a guy who graduated my ug, went to Cornell and snagged a job at Foley Milwaukee with little trouble. Now he works for the feds.
That's terrific. I know a guy who went to a TTTT in California and who now works at DOJ. We all know people. But the point is that OP has a specific goal (a job at a law firm in Atlanta) and has a choice between schools where one school has a better alumni network, and a better reputation for placing lawyers, in the South. I'm not saying Duke is significantly better than Cornell for Atlanta (I honestly don't know), but I think many of you are being a little too caviler with advice that affects someone's future.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:55 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:04 pm

chargers21 wrote: Thank you for your input Rpupkin. Anecdotal evidence is generally bad for LS stuff. I ultimately decided the seemingly small advantage of Duke over Cornell for Atlanta specific jobs wasn't worth the financial difference, and I am heading to Cornell. I feel like saving some money will allow me to relax a little, since money tends to stress me out. That might help my grades. Also, I'm an avid outdoorsman, and Durham's weather would have been very distracting for me. 2L and 3L me might be pissed about the weather, but I think it will end up helping 1L me out. From what I've heard, grades will likely be more of a deciding factor in whether I can get in at some firms than school, so I'm going all in on that. Before picking Cornell, I also sold myself on the idea that I can live in NYC, and that for the career that I have decided to pursue, it might be the best thing for me early on in my career. I am correct in thinking that if I put in a good 3 years at a reputable NYC firm, I might have the option to lateral or transfer into a secondary market, rightt? I'm not giving up on my initial goal, but I'm just trying to plan for the event that it doesn't happen
Sounds like a sensible plan. Enjoy Cornell and good luck!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:06 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pizzagoblin

Bronze

Post by pizzagoblin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:24 am

chargers21 wrote: Thank you for your input Rpupkin. Anecdotal evidence is generally bad for LS stuff. I ultimately decided the seemingly small advantage of Duke over Cornell for Atlanta specific jobs wasn't worth the financial difference, and I am heading to Cornell. I feel like saving some money will allow me to relax a little, since money tends to stress me out. That might help my grades. Also, I'm an avid outdoorsman, and Durham's weather would have been very distracting for me. 2L and 3L me might be pissed about the weather, but I think it will end up helping 1L me out. From what I've heard, grades will likely be more of a deciding factor in whether I can get in at some firms than school, so I'm going all in on that. Before picking Cornell, I also sold myself on the idea that I can live in NYC, and that for the career that I have decided to pursue, it might be the best thing for me early on in my career. I am correct in thinking that if I put in a good 3 years at a reputable NYC firm, I might have the option to lateral or transfer into a secondary market, rightt? I'm not giving up on my initial goal, but I'm just trying to plan for the event that it doesn't happen
Congrats, numbers twin! This really came out of left field, but I think you made a wise decision. Enjoy Cornell!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:52 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”