UVA (sticker) vs Emory $$$ for Atlanta PI

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Emory $$$ or UVA sticker?

UVA, $284k and all
40%
Emory, even at $114k
60%

Total votes: 25

S.Picquery

Silver

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Emory $$$ for Atlanta PI

Postby S.Picquery » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:14 pm

lilitiger99 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
lilitiger99 wrote:I might be in the minority for this, but UVA/Michigan/t13 schools sometimes have more generous LRAP I've heard? For PI that is something to consider. And if you're not one hundred percent set on PI, I would choose UVA. You will have much better outward employment rates - BL/FC rates are double I think.

sticker is a huge commitment obviously, but it's a trade off, I think. I was also considering Emory with a scholarship, but their employment stats scared me a little bit.

If OP is not 100% all-in on PI, then attending UVA at sticker is a much, much worse decision than attending Emory.

How so? I know the consensus is usually nothing is worth sticker - and I'm turning down a t6 for a lower t13 on scholly - but if OP changes his or her mind and wants big law or clerking? Wouldn't emory effectively make that very difficult?

Emory at $114,000 would give OP an okay-at-best chance at biglaw, but OP would still be able to find work at a small or mid-sized firm, and OP would eventually be able to pay back that $114,000.

That outcome is much better than the scenario in which OP pays ~$300,000 just for a chance to work biglaw.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I would think sticker would be easier to pay off at a biglaw salary than 114k would be on typical smalllaw salary.

Disingenuous to say UVA is "just a chance" for biglaw: you can get biglaw from UVA.

I guess for the OP the question then is - is sticker worth potentially being able to work in other markets besides Atlanta + potential for big law if PI doesn't pan out.

In that case, why not Vanderbilt? they have better employment stats than emory, and if your debt is around 100k that is still manageable.

Hey fam. This is all great, and your info will be helpful for someone who hasn't worked in P.I. For many years and may be one of the ones to be wooed away by the money at the end of LS. It's also helpful for those who may want to be outside of Atlanta, but considering my family is there and my fiancé is going to try and move to Atl anyway in the next two years, many of these points are moot. I do appreciate them though.

As it stands, and with the ability to hustle in my preferred market through their externship program, it seems like Emory may be the place for me. UVA may be the place for someone with slightly prestigious goals.

floatie

Silver

Re: UVA (sticker) vs Emory $$$ for Atlanta PI

Postby floatie » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:41 pm

S.Picquery wrote:Hey fam. This is all great, and your info will be helpful for someone who hasn't worked in P.I. For many years and may be one of the ones to be wooed away by the money at the end of LS. It's also helpful for those who may want to be outside of Atlanta, but considering my family is there and my fiancé is going to try and move to Atl anyway in the next two years, many of these points are moot. I do appreciate them though.

As it stands, and with the ability to hustle in my preferred market through their externship program, it seems like Emory may be the place for me. UVA may be the place for someone with slightly prestigious goals.

FWIW I think that's a perfectly reasonable decision for your situation and goals. See you at Emory in the Fall :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School?