NU ($$) v. Mich ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

(Scholly/COA)

Northwestern (120k/135k)
61%
Michigan (120k/114k)
39%

Total votes: 18

gilbilya

New

NU ($$) v. Mich ($$)

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:21 am

Heya all. Longtime lurker here. So my cycle has finally whittled down to a decision between Michigan and Northwestern, both of which offered me a 120k scholarship. Both schools have pros that really appeal to me and cons that raise comparable concerns, so I am pretty torn at this point and would appreciate some fresh/snooty opinions.

1. Where do I want to practice: very flexible, anywhere other than the south works for me. Chicago might be the most ideal of all, but I am open to any other primary market.

2. Future aspirations: either biglaws or international clerkships (for international tribunals). I know they are two completely distinct paths, but I am really interested in and open to doing either one of the two. I have a really diverse and international background (studied in three continents and spoke 5 languages) and have done a fair amount of refugee advocacy.

3. General Feelings abt both schools: I visited both and really liked Michigan. Have also met good friends during Preview who have already decided on Michigan or are current students. But I also prefer a smaller class size and an urban setting so Northwestern trumps Michigan in that regard.

Looking forwards to any meaningful perspectives! Thank you guys
Last edited by gilbilya on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Re: NU ($$) v. Mich ($$)

Postby presidentspivey » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:40 am

Can we get the total COA for each? Plus how you're financing.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Both will probably get you Chicago biglaw, although slight advantage for NU. International tribunal work is not a guarantee from anywhere. You'll have similar outcomes from either school. Pick the one that you'll be happiest at, assuming COA is roughly the same

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:46 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Can we get the total COA for each? Plus how you're financing.

Mich 77,000/yr v. NW 84,000/yr, so going to NW will incur an additional 21k in costs. My parents will be financing my education so I won't be taking out loans. Thx!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:49 pm

I'd go with NU here for better Chicago and overall biglaw placement.

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:54 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:Both will probably get you Chicago biglaw, although slight advantage for NU. International tribunal work is not a guarantee from anywhere. You'll have similar outcomes from either school. Pick the one that you'll be happiest at, assuming COA is roughly the same

Thank you! I feel like I'll be the happiest at Mich but I am also worried about adjusting to the lifestyle of a college town since I have never lived outside of big cities.

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:I'd go with NU here for better Chicago and overall biglaw placement.

Thank you! my concern is that as a straight-through those awesome biglaw placements won't apply to me because I have no WE.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:03 pm

gilbilya wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Can we get the total COA for each? Plus how you're financing.

Mich 77,000/yr v. NW 84,000/yr, so going to NW will incur an additional 21k in costs. My parents will be financing my education so I won't be taking out loans. Thx!

How is that your total per year cost when you have $120k scholarships at each?

Re: Big law placement, I know plenty of people that went straight through at NU and still got big law and also fit in fine. But if you'll be happier at Michigan, go there

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:07 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
gilbilya wrote:

Re: Big law placement, I know plenty of people that went straight through at NU and still got big law and also fit in fine. But if you'll be happier at Michigan, go there

Oh damn thought you meant COA without scholly. Then it'd be 37,000 v. 44,000 annually, but either way it's an additional 21k in term of cost difference.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:08 pm

gilbilya wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
gilbilya wrote:

Oh damn thought you meant COA without scholly. Then it'd be 37,000 v. 44,000 annually, but either way it's an additional 21k in term of cost difference.

Yeah, that is a negligible amount and if you had roommates in Chicago you could probably make it closer in terms of COL to Michigan. So ultimately pick the one you like best

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:26 pm

You said you preferred the urban environment of ME. What makes you think you'll enjoy Michigan more (sorry if you explained and I missed it)?
gilbilya wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:Both will probably get you Chicago biglaw, although slight advantage for NU. International tribunal work is not a guarantee from anywhere. You'll have similar outcomes from either school. Pick the one that you'll be happiest at, assuming COA is roughly the same

Thank you! I feel like I'll be the happiest at Mich but I am also worried about adjusting to the lifestyle of a college town since I have never lived outside of big cities.

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:51 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:You said you preferred the urban environment of ME. What makes you think you'll enjoy Michigan more (sorry if you explained and I missed it)?
gilbilya wrote:

I feel like Michigan people geneiunely enjoyed being there whereas a fair amount of Northwestern students I met were complaining about their law school experiences (too much work, gunners in class, weird professors, etc.) I also felt more supportive and comfortable at Michigan as a URM. Yet two/three days of visit does not speak to the virtue of going to either school so I do not want to base my decision entirely upon the feelings I built on ASW.
Last edited by gilbilya on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:52 pm

gilbilya wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:You said you preferred the urban environment of ME. What makes you think you'll enjoy Michigan more (sorry if you explained and I missed it)?
gilbilya wrote:

I feel like Michigan people geneiunely enjoyed being there whereas a fair amount of Northwestern students I met were complaining about their law school experiences (too much work, gunners in class, weird professors, etc.) I also felt more supportive and comfortable at Michigan as a URM. Yet two/three days of visit does not speak to the virtue of going to either school so I do not want to base my decision entirely upon my feelings I built on ASW.

Yeah, all my friends at NU loved it and never heard those complaints and I know a lot of ppl that went to NU law. With that said, pretty much everyone I know that went to Michigan law loved it too

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:19 am

That's been my experience at Michigan. I personally think people undervalue the importance of finding a place you'll be happy. If you can't see yourself outside a big city, do NU. That said, I came from NYC and am going back and picked here over NYU and haven't regretted it for a second. Happy to talk about the transition if youd like, just PM me

gilbilya wrote:
gilbilya wrote:

I feel like Michigan people geneiunely enjoyed being there whereas a fair amount of Northwestern students I met were complaining about their law school experiences (too much work, gunners in class, weird professors, etc.) I also felt more supportive and comfortable at Michigan as a URM. Yet two/three days of visit does not speak to the virtue of going to either school so I do not want to base my decision entirely upon the feelings I built on ASW.

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:That's been my experience at Michigan. I personally think people undervalue the importance of finding a place you'll be happy. If you can't see yourself outside a big city, do NU. That said, I came from NYC and am going back and picked here over NYU and haven't regretted it for a second. Happy to talk about the transition if youd like, just PM me

gilbilya wrote:
gilbilya wrote:

Thx :D congrats on landing a job in NYC!

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:19 pm

just set up a poll for folks who don't like typing, deposit deadline in three days so your inputs are much needed and appreciated!

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Postby ambrajdurbra131313 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:29 pm

Congrats on the great options- I vote Northwestern for the biglaw placement and because Chi is awesome (to me)

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:45 pm

ambrajdurbra131313 wrote:Congrats on the great options- I vote Northwestern for the biglaw placement and because Chi is awesome (to me)

yea Chicago is the best. :P

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:57 pm

I voted Michigan because its cheaper and I don't see anything in your goals indicating you need to be in Chicago. That said, you can't go wrong (and I picked NU over Michigan, although NU was cheaper for me).

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:03 pm

guybourdin wrote:I voted Michigan because its cheaper and I don't see anything in your goals indicating you need to be in Chicago. That said, you can't go wrong (and I picked NU over Michigan, although NU was cheaper for me).

OfThriceandTen

Bronze

Postby OfThriceandTen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:47 pm

Ties to Chi? I do recruiting at michigan and we will take pretty weak ties (think: boyfriend lives there, aunts/uncles/cousin live there and i've visited enough to know i like it, wife has a job at groupon) but we can avoid people who put chicago on "their list" just because they could see themselves being there. our northwestern team takes northwestern itself as ties enough.

gilbilya

New

Postby gilbilya » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 pm

OfThriceandTen wrote:Ties to Chi? I do recruiting at michigan and we will take pretty weak ties (think: boyfriend lives there, aunts/uncles/cousin live there and i've visited enough to know i like it, wife has a job at groupon) but we can avoid people who put chicago on "their list" just because they could see themselves being there. our northwestern team takes northwestern itself as ties enough.

This is really helpful information! Thank you so much

Return to “Choosing a Law School�