University of Maryland vs American

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tirkman

New

University of Maryland vs American

Postby tirkman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:35 am

I'm just curious, there is currently a 38 spot different in the rankings between maryland (48) and American (86). For this area of the rankings is this significant enough for me to take maryland over American or does it not matter that much?

AJ1010

Bronze

Re: University of Maryland vs American

Postby AJ1010 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:49 am

what type of law/jobs are you interested in? Where do you want to live/work after law school? What is the COA for each? Also, people are going to request your stats.

tirkman

New

Postby tirkman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:14 am

I'm from northern Virginia (born and raised here and went to george mason for undergrad) , decided I wanted to stay in the dmv area which is why I'm currently down to these two schools. So Virginia, dc and maryland are all fine for me in terms of places to work. I don't know what specific field of law i want to practice right now but I'm okay with working at a smaller firm to start off. I have a 30k scholarship a year with American which leaves 23k in tuition per year. I'll probably be paying another 12k or so a year to live in Bethesda if I go to American. My family is helping me pay my uncovered costs though so I wont be taking out loans. For university of maryland i just got my acceptance email yesterday and so I have to wait a couple of days to get the mail package and see how much scholarship they give. I'm also assuming cost of living would be cheaper in Baltimore. But anyway assuming maryland will probably cost more for tuition is it a better option since it's ranked a good bit higher or does it not matter. Stats are 3.45 gpa, 158 lsat (taken 3 times)

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 am

You mentioned you want to start out in a smaller firm, but what's your long-term goal? It's not like people start in smaller firms and then end up in the DOJ.

tirkman

New

Postby tirkman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 pm

Well I come from a politics background as I'm sure a lot of people in law school do. My bachelor's degree is in political science. One thing about American that I like is that if I get a joint degree there they have really great and high ranked public administration and public policy masters which I'm sure would be nice for a dc job. But in terms of longer term goal to be honest I'm not 100 percent sure at this point. I like the idea of starting my own practice one day, working in the government is also another option but I'm not 100 percent set in stone about anything.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:21 pm

tirkman wrote:Well I come from a politics background as I'm sure a lot of people in law school do. My bachelor's degree is in political science. One thing about American that I like is that if I get a joint degree there they have really great and high ranked public administration and public policy masters which I'm sure would be nice for a dc job. But in terms of longer term goal to be honest I'm not 100 percent sure at this point. I like the idea of starting my own practice one day, working in the government is also another option but I'm not 100 percent set in stone about anything.

Well just understand that both these schools will make those decisions for you. They will both foreclose a lot of different legal opportunities because of how poorly they place and their poor reputations. I think you need to do a lot more research.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Postby Pure Applesauce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:23 pm

Do not go to American no matter what. Consider Maryland if you have a very low COA and want to work in Maryland.

tirkman

New

Postby tirkman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:51 pm

Okay, out of the two options though do you view maryland as a better option? Or would it be better for me to take American if it's significantly cheaper. Or is neither really the best option for me ?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:54 pm

tirkman wrote:Okay, out of the two options though do you view maryland as a better option? Or would it be better for me to take American if it's significantly cheaper. Or is neither really the best option for me ?

Objectively neither. They both have god awful employment stats. It sounds like you wanna do politics. You don't need a JD for that. Go get your MPP, work in DC, then reassess in a few years. Sounds much better than either of these options

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:18 pm

grades?? wrote:
tirkman wrote:Okay, out of the two options though do you view maryland as a better option? Or would it be better for me to take American if it's significantly cheaper. Or is neither really the best option for me ?

Objectively neither. They both have god awful employment stats. It sounds like you wanna do politics. You don't need a JD for that. Go get your MPP, work in DC, then reassess in a few years. Sounds much better than either of these options

MPP is a waste too. Just go work on the hill as a staff asst or on a campaign for a year or two. Then reassess. American is terrible. Maryland if it's cheap and you wanted to work small law in Baltimore or other parts of Maryland is ok, but not so much for working in DC metro area

Return to “Choosing a Law School�