Columbia vs UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Columbia
13%
UVA
87%

Total votes: 38

pln2017

New

Columbia vs UVA

Postby pln2017 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:03 pm

My decision has come down to Columbia or UVA. I have a larger scholarship to UVA, and the difference in COA would be about $80,000. I'm originally from Missouri, but have friends and family in New York and would like to end up there. At this point, I'm interested in litigation and am open to biglaw but not 100% gunning for it. I would like to clerk. Columbia's location, especially given my ties to the area and future plans, and its international prestige are what is keeping me from depositing at UVA--but I am somewhat debt averse and Charlottesville seems like a fun place to live.
No retakes or reapplying.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Columbia vs UVA

Postby UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:10 pm

UVA hands down.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:12 pm

UVA2B wrote:UVA hands down.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:13 pm

UVA2B wrote:UVA hands down.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Postby Justtrying2help » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm

UVA hands down.

jpark86

New

Postby jpark86 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:22 pm

Just to give a more complete picture here, I had lunch with CLS' clerkship director (who just came onboard recently btw) a few weeks ago at ASD... He really made a point about doing everything he can to get students more interested in NY federal clerkships. Given that most kids go to Columbia for big law, you could be in an interesting position at a place such as CLS, where the clerkship director would work hand-in-hand with you to get you a spot you wanted. Just some food for thought!

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:11 pm

jpark86 wrote:Just to give a more complete picture here, I had lunch with CLS' clerkship director (who just came onboard recently btw) a few weeks ago at ASD... He really made a point about doing everything he can to get students more interested in NY federal clerkships. Given that most kids go to Columbia for big law, you could be in an interesting position at a place such as CLS, where the clerkship director would work hand-in-hand with you to get you a spot you wanted. Just some food for thought!

I mean that's exactly what you would expect the clerkship director to say. His promise to work real hard isn't worth $80k in cash money in any universe.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

jpark86 wrote:Just to give a more complete picture here, I had lunch with CLS' clerkship director (who just came onboard recently btw) a few weeks ago at ASD... He really made a point about doing everything he can to get students more interested in NY federal clerkships. Given that most kids go to Columbia for big law, you could be in an interesting position at a place such as CLS, where the clerkship director would work hand-in-hand with you to get you a spot you wanted. Just some food for thought!

If the bolded was true and Columbia students were shooting exclusively for NY federal clerkships (which obviously isn't true), it'd actually really help explain Columbia's lackluster federal clerkship rate relative to its peers. As it is, I expect any increase in Columbia's clerkship rate to coincide with a decrease in BL.

RSN

Silver

Postby RSN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 pm

UVA2B wrote:

If the bolded was true and Columbia students were shooting exclusively for NY federal clerkships (which obviously isn't true), it'd actually really help explain Columbia's lackluster federal clerkship rate relative to its peers. As it is, I expect any increase in Columbia's clerkship rate to coincide with a decrease in BL.

I assume the poster there meant clerkships outside NY. CLS students are in fact heavily focused on NY clerkships and that needs to change some if our clerkship rate is going to rise.

OP, it's UVA -- Columbia isn't worth $80k more.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Postby Pure Applesauce » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:30 pm

You should not pay $80,000 extra to go to CLS.

UVA

Return to “Choosing a Law School�