UVA v Mich v Chicago v NYU

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Looking for outside opinions

Michigan
79%
UVA
5%
Chicago
13%
NYU
3%

Total votes: 39

LeslieKnope2012

New

UVA v Mich v Chicago v NYU

Postby LeslieKnope2012 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Hello everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster here.

As the deadlines approach I thought it might be best for some outside opinions. Thanks in advance for your help!

Choices: Debt load - financed with Loans.
- Michigan: 120K
- UVA: 170K
- Chicago: >200K
- NYU: At Sticker

Goals: Clerkship first. Long term is Public Interest or Government work after school. I do realize that BigLaw in NYC is an amazing option for a few years at least to gain training/experience which is beneficial in Government jobs. I also currently have undergrad student loans and hate it, so would not like to live in massive amounts of debt long term. I am not really attached to a region of the US but I have ties in DC and Michigan.

Right now I am pretty torn between UVA and Michigan because of the money but wanted to list all options. Both places also seem to have a better quality of life than many schools- a more positive, supportive vibe. Since Michigan would be cheaper, that is what I am leaning, however its hard not to look at the employment numbers and wonder if a 60K difference is worth it. I love both AA and Charlottesville so weather/surroundings kind of even out.

Extras before you ask: 170/3.75, definitely set on going this year. Negotiating $$ up with UVA did not get me anywhere.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Re: UVA v Mich v Chicago v NYU

Postby nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 pm

any particular sort of PI?

LeslieKnope2012 wrote:Hello everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster here.

As the deadlines approach I thought it might be best for some outside opinions. Thanks in advance for your help!

Goals: Clerkship first. Long term is Public Interest or Government work after school. I do realize that BigLaw in NYC is an amazing option for a few years at least to gain training/experience which is beneficial in Government jobs. I also currently have undergrad student loans and hate it, so would not like to live in massive amounts of debt long term. I am not really attached to a region of the US but I have ties in DC and Michigan.

Right now I am pretty torn between UVA and Michigan because of the money but wanted to list all options. Both places also seem to have a better quality of life than many schools- a more positive, supportive vibe. Since Michigan would be cheaper, that is what I am leaning, however its hard not to look at the employment numbers and wonder if a 60K difference is worth it. I love both AA and Charlottesville so weather/surroundings kind of even out.

Extras before you ask: 170/3.75, definitely set on going this year. Negotiating $$ up with UVA did not get me anywhere.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 pm

I'd eliminate UVA (not worth saving only $30k compared to Chicago) and NYU (not worth $100k more than Chicago), and choose between Michigan and Chicago.

LeslieKnope2012

New

Postby LeslieKnope2012 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:11 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:I'd eliminate UVA (not worth saving only $30k compared to Chicago) and NYU (not worth $100k more than Chicago), and choose between Michigan and Chicago.

Ok thanks!

LeslieKnope2012

New

Postby LeslieKnope2012 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:18 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:any particular sort of PI?

LeslieKnope2012 wrote:Hello everyone, longtime lurker, first time poster here.

Not in particular so I would love to leave options open. A lot of different areas seem extremely interesting. The only thing I'm committed to is litigation.

Alexandros

Platinum

Postby Alexandros » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:11 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilmoregirlrevival

New

Postby gilmoregirlrevival » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:39 am

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:33 pm

If you want to do PI out of law school, NYU.

If you are confident that you're going to do biglaw for a few years before moving on, do not go $200k in the hole. Just save the money at Michigan (that's a substantial savings, even compared to UVA).

Try to get some clarity on goals before you decide this.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:43 pm

I feel like the people who aren't hellbent on PI (as in they skip OCI, etc.) will join the Biglaw train, so I went with Michigan since it seems like bigLaw for atleast a few years is where you'll end up.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�