UGA or UNC for IP law (similar cost)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
readysetgose

New

UGA or UNC for IP law (similar cost)

Postby readysetgose » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:38 pm

I am down to choosing between these two southeast law schools. I have a MS in physics and am sitting for the patent bar in June, and will be pursuing the "IP track" at either school. Is there anything that separates these two schools that would help me make my decision?

EDIT: My goal is to work as a ligation patent attorney. I am flexible geographically. Would actually prefer the school that would give me options on where I could work.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: UGA or UNC for IP law (similar cost)

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:52 pm

readysetgose wrote:Would actually prefer the school that would give me options on where I could work.

Then neither.

Both of these schools will confine you to their respective states.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

Is there a reason you have narrowed it down to these two? What is the similar cost? LSAT/GPA (# of takes)? Any more information would help. Also, what type of IP law? Biglaw? Patent boutique? Etc.

AT9

Gold

Postby AT9 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:27 pm

UNC is in the research triangle and a number of firms have offices there. No idea how that impacts IP hiring if at all, or whether Atlanta has lots of IP work, but thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Edit: again, I'm no IP expert here, but aren't IP/patent people more marketable geographically?

trmckenz

Bronze

Postby trmckenz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:43 pm

I have worked in patent groups in both NC and GA. Go for UNC. It has a better academic reputation and slightly more national reach.

Elite ACC basketball school >>> average SEC football school

readysetgose

New

Postby readysetgose » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you for your replies. The cost is around 6k/year for each. And as far what type of IP work it doesn't really matter/I don't know much about the differences. I just know I want a job in that field.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�