Moving across country for law school

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hinton2014

New

Moving across country for law school

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Anyone care to share their experiences with this? I'm a Midwest guy, but I've been considering CA. I want big law, but no desire for NYC, would prefer TX or LA. Naturally family is tight knit so they don't want me to do this, saying "you could go to x school and get big law with networking" so they don't get it. Anyone with similar experience? How was adjusting being so far from everyone you know?

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:39 pm

hinton2014 wrote:Anyone care to share their experiences with this? I'm a Midwest guy, but I've been considering CA. I want big law, but no desire for NYC, would prefer TX or LA. Naturally family is tight knit so they don't want me to do this, saying "you could go to x school and get big law with networking" so they don't get it. Anyone with similar experience? How was adjusting being so far from everyone you know?

Moved across the globe. Most family in Asia. I love my family and talk with them frequently but best that we're at least 5k miles apart.

Eta: just realized i didnt say anything helpful. Google hangouts could help a lot if you miss family.

hinton2014

New

Re:

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 pm

champloo wrote:
hinton2014 wrote:Anyone care to share their experiences with this? I'm a Midwest guy, but I've been considering CA. I want big law, but no desire for NYC, would prefer TX or LA. Naturally family is tight knit so they don't want me to do this, saying "you could go to x school and get big law with networking" so they don't get it. Anyone with similar experience? How was adjusting being so far from everyone you know?

Moved across the globe. Most family in Asia. I love my family and talk with them frequently but best that we're at least 5k miles apart.

Eta: just realized i didnt say anything helpful. Google hangouts could help a lot if you miss family.

Nope, your response was actually a nice response. It reminded me that it's going to be okay if you move a decent distance away. It's not me who is terribly concerned about being far away, but rather my parents.

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm

hinton2014 wrote:
champloo wrote:

Nope, your response was actually a nice response. It reminded me that it's going to be okay if you move a decent distance away. It's not me who is terribly concerned about being far away, but rather my parents.

Your parents will be concerned even if you lived next door. Thats what parents do and why they can never be replaced. They'll be fine. Just please don't ignore your mom's calls or texts. That's not nice.

hinton2014

New

Re:

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:50 pm

champloo wrote:
hinton2014 wrote:
champloo wrote:

Your parents will be concerned even if you lived next door. Thats what parents do and why they can never be replaced. They'll be fine. Just please don't ignore your mom's calls or texts. That's not nice.

Oh, I would not. Like I said, we're a tight knit family, so we would communicate. I just realize they don't understand the legal market and with me wanting to do big law, but not in NYC, LA makes sense. How was it moving so far in terms of getting associated with the area, meeting people, etc.?

champloo

Bronze

Postby champloo » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:56 pm

hinton2014 wrote:
champloo wrote:
hinton2014 wrote:
champloo wrote:

Oh, I would not. Like I said, we're a tight knit family, so we would communicate. I just realize they don't understand the legal market and with me wanting to do big law, but not in NYC, LA makes sense. How was it moving so far in terms of getting associated with the area, meeting people, etc.?

No problems at all. There are lots of different types of ppl in law school. You'll find your group and have a good experience. As for persuading parents, not too sure. My parents were worried too but I just stubbornly went anyways since I knew what was best for me. They basically forgot and were fine with it after about a month.

Getting on a plane now so last reply for a while. Dont wanna get kicked for phone

dfrika0937

New

Re: Moving across country for law school

Postby dfrika0937 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:59 pm

I'm going to move away from home given my options this cycle. I'm dreading it, but it's also really not THAT long. You can take your summers back home, and just keep connected to your home base. I am also very tight w my family and my S.O. is staying at home while I'm at school for the sake of his career. My point is that it can be done, I've done it before, and you can try to see some fun and excitement in creating a new living space, exploring a new city, etc. I plan to get connected with a group in my new city that has the same hobby as I have. That will help. I feel you though. It sucks.

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Postby thatblondegirl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Moved from TX to CA for undergrad and never regretted it. I actually think it was the best decision in terms of family relationships for me because it makes everyone appreciate our time with each other a lot more. There are plenty of ways to stay connected with your family (phone calls, Skype, FB, emails). My parents worry equally about me and my brother even though he just recently moved back in with them, so there's no getting around that. In the end your family just wants you to be happy. I was chomping at the bit to leave and create a life of my own away from the town Starbucks forgot so YMMV.

Also, since you're moving to go to law school you should have an easier time making connections in your new city. Heck you've got an entire law school of people who are (or were) in the same situation as you. Join a club and make connections with students and faculty. Those that have lived in the area for a year or more will lead you to the places to explore and those that are new to the area, like you, will become your exploration buddies.

hinton2014

New

Postby hinton2014 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:07 pm

thatblondegirl wrote:Moved from TX to CA for undergrad and never regretted it. I actually think it was the best decision in terms of family relationships for me because it makes everyone appreciate our time with each other a lot more. There are plenty of ways to stay connected with your family (phone calls, Skype, FB, emails). My parents worry equally about me and my brother even though he just recently moved back in with them, so there's no getting around that. In the end your family just wants you to be happy. I was chomping at the bit to leave and create a life of my own away from the town Starbucks forgot so YMMV.

Also, since you're moving to go to law school you should have an easier time making connections in your new city. Heck you've got an entire law school of people who are (or were) in the same situation as you. Join a club and make connections with students and faculty. Those that have lived in the area for a year or more will lead you to the places to explore and those that are new to the area, like you, will become your exploration buddies.

This helps a lot and eases my worries a lot. I'm very much in the same boat and ready to create my own life

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:42 pm

Moved from TX to MA and actually the first person in like 5 generations to move more than 20 miles away. BigLaw connections are fairly easy to make. Same with friends/etc during law school.

ETA: moving to TX could be rough if you want biglaw tho because TX firms tend to like Texans more (unless you go to UT in which case they may not care)

drjekyllope

New

Postby drjekyllope » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:13 am

Moved to NYC from small town Texas for undergrad. i'm a 6th generation Texan, so my family was not too stoked about my decision to leave, but, like thatblondegirl said, the distance has strengthened my relationship with my family. it is lonely at first, sure, but if you're moving to an interesting place like LA, you should have no trouble finding things to do and people to do them with. plus, you will kick yourself HARD once you realize the networking opportunities you've missed out on by not attending school in CA.

living far from home has also made me fiercely independent in a way i couldn't have achieved were i still surrounded by long-established relationships. in fact, i am always recommending to people that they should move away from home for school, i think the experience builds a lot of character and gives you room to fully immerse yourself in your new environment. making a home for yourself in a new place is an amazing feeling.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�