Davis V Hastings

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
IEmperor2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Davis V Hastings

Postby IEmperor2020 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Split between these two.

Hastings is offering significantly more money, is closer to internship opportunities and I have LEOP.

Is the BAR pass rate enough to tip the scales in favor of Davis?
Employment rate is almost equal, but the class sizes are significant.

Thoughts?

ray.bee

Bronze
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:07 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby ray.bee » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:38 pm

IEmperor2020 wrote:Split between these two.

Hastings is offering significantly more money, is closer to internship opportunities and I have LEOP.

Is the BAR pass rate enough to tip the scales in favor of Davis?
Employment rate is almost equal, but the class sizes are significant.

Thoughts?


Have you visited Hastings? I have heard very negative things. A lot of drug use near campus and other safety issues.

User avatar
trebekismyhero

Silver
Posts: 806
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:40 pm

What do you want to do and where do you want to do it? How much will cost of attendance be at both?

Davis is probably a slightly better school, but not worth paying that much more. Neither of them are worth going into a lot of debt for

kaptainkeepa

Bronze
Posts: 121
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby kaptainkeepa » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 pm

I am curious as well about this! I am torn between the two. I want that city life but I don't know if I REALLY want to live in the Tenderloin.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3422
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:55 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:What do you want to do and where do you want to do it? How much will cost of attendance be at both?

Davis is probably a slightly better school, but not worth paying that much more. Neither of them are worth going into a lot of debt for

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1423
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby dabigchina » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:06 pm

kaptainkeepa wrote:I am curious as well about this! I am torn between the two. I want that city life but I don't know if I REALLY want to live in the Tenderloin.

Living near that area definitely sucks. If the price is right though I would suck it up.

It's either that or retake and go somewhere else.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:30 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby Pure Applesauce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:29 pm

what are your goals

what is the cost of attendance for each school

what are your stats


preliminary answer is retake

User avatar
KMart

Gold
Posts: 4368
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:25 am

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby KMart » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:31 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:what are your goals

what is the cost of attendance for each school

what are your stats


preliminary answer is retake

IEmperor2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby IEmperor2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:what are your goals

what is the cost of attendance for each school

what are your stats


preliminary answer is retake



I'm interested in employment/labor law - towards the labor/plaintiff side but still trying to explore other fields.

I don't mind the particular area being so shawty, I'm used to similar areas in LA. It's a non-issue for me.

The pros and cons I've considered in favor of hastings have been due to Location. Hastings is near a ton of firms. Davis is a bit out of the way, which might be a hassle for summer jobs and such. I don't wanna get into the Sacramento Market. If I'm going up north from LA, I wanna be in the Bay area. I've gotten mixed info on how well Davis penetrates the Market in the Bay area, whereas Hastings seems to have good footing.

Scholarships are virtually the same. about a 10k difference (Hastings providing 10k more) So despite COL being higher, COA balances out since I'm getting less assistance from Davis.

Also have the added help of LEOP from Hastings. Not sure if thats a game changer, but extra academic support is good right?

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:29 pm

What's your actual COA? The two schools might cost the same amount, but if that amount is more than $100k, you shouldn't go.

User avatar
lordmac69

New
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:51 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby lordmac69 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 pm

Definitely Hastings. Private message me if you want to know more about LEOP. Also, you don't have to live in the TL, lots of people live in the East Bay/elsewhere.

IEmperor2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby IEmperor2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:36 pm

Both are Roughly 38K/year. Approx. 112-116 total

Waitlisted at UCLA so I'm really deciding on a plan B here

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:40 pm

IEmperor2020 wrote:Both are Roughly 38K/year. Approx. 112-116 total

Waitlisted at UCLA so I'm really deciding on a plan B here


Retake, reapply.

IEmperor2020

New
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby IEmperor2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:46 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
IEmperor2020 wrote:Both are Roughly 38K/year. Approx. 112-116 total

Waitlisted at UCLA so I'm really deciding on a plan B here


Retake, reapply.



I've maxed out my retakes, it'd be a real time killer to wait

cavalier1138

Gold
Posts: 4954
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: Davis V Hastings

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm

IEmperor2020 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
IEmperor2020 wrote:Both are Roughly 38K/year. Approx. 112-116 total

Waitlisted at UCLA so I'm really deciding on a plan B here


Retake, reapply.



I've maxed out my retakes, it'd be a real time killer to wait


Well, it'll be a real finances-killer to be paying off your debts for 20 years (or paying half your salary for 10 years).

Borhas

Platinum
Posts: 6248
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

www.top-law-schools.com

Postby Borhas » Wed May 10, 2017 10:57 am




Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests