ND ($) v. Howard ($) v. Retake

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ENS4LS

New

ND ($) v. Howard ($) v. Retake

Postby ENS4LS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 am

I have to submit my deposit this coming Saturday and am completely stuck. I am from NY, and would like to return post-grad for a BigLaw gig. I currently work at a Fortune 50 tech company and would like to pursue IP/Entertainment.

ND is offering me a solid package (not great), and Howard is a little more than half-tuition. The schools are literally ranked 100 slots away (20 v.120) but I have heard quite a number of Biglaw success stories from Howard. DC also beats South Bend, IN any day. I am a URM (Black male) with decent numbers, but my LSAT wasn't great. I've been waitlisted to Columbia, USC, Wash U, and haven't heard from NYU or UMich yet, assuming waitlists there as well. I like my job but am ready for a location and life change. Which school gets me BigLaw in NY, or should I sit it out and retake.
Last edited by ENS4LS on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbalkaran

Silver

Re: ND ($) v. Howard ($) v. Retake

Postby dbalkaran » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:28 am

ENS4LS wrote:I have to submit my deposit this coming Saturday and am completely stuck. I am from NY, and would like to return post-grad for a BigLaw gig. I currently work at a Fortune 50 tech company and would like to pursue IP/Entertainment.

ND is offering me a solid package (not great), and Howard is a little more than half-tuition. The schools are literally ranked 100 slots away (20 v.120) but I have heard quite a number of Biglaw success stories from Howard. DC also beats South Bend, IN any day. I am a URM (Black male) with decent numbers, but my LSAT wasn't great. I've been waitlisted to Columbia, USC, Wash U, and haven't heard from NYU or UMich yet, assuming waitlists there as well. I like my job but am ready for a location and life change. Which school gets be BigLaw in NY, or should I sit it out and retake.

What was your GPA and LSAT score? Whether or not you should retake depends on if there's room to improve. How many times have you taken the LSAT?

ENS4LS

New

Postby ENS4LS » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:32 am

GPA - 3.3 LSAT- 157. I've taken it once in 2015. Could definitely improve but I'm wondering if I should just go with what I have. I'm 23 and have had the LS itch for quite some time

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

Retake. You want biglaw, and that means going to a school that gives you a fighting chance at it.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:46 am

ENS4LS wrote:GPA - 3.3 LSAT- 157. I've taken it once in 2015. Could definitely improve but I'm wondering if I should just go with what I have. I'm 23 and have had the LS itch for quite some time

"Quite some time" isn't nearly as long as the amount of time you'll spend in debt in the future. You're 23. That's not even remotely close to being considered "too old." They say how you spend your 20s will determine the rest of your life, and this is a classice example. If you really want to rush into putting yourself into a horrible decision, that's all you.

The obvious choice is to retake since NONE of these schools give you a viable shot at NY Biglaw. ND is a good choice if you're set on Chicago. They places like 8-9% of their class into NYC Biglaw and I'm assuming you'll be competing with the top of your class that got into with 3.75/166. Obviously your undergrad/lsat don't necessarily correspond to law school success but it's something worth considering.

Retake. You'll put yourself in a much better situation for the rest of your life. Improving will not only get you schools that can quadruple your chances at NY Biglaw, but also allow you to take a much smaller risk by getting you a full-ride to schools like ND.

AdieuCali

New

Postby AdieuCali » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am

http://mylsn.info/kenwcm/

Bring your LSAT up by 5-6 points and you're looking at NYU and below with $$$.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Postby tinyvessels » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:59 am

Did you self study or take a course? I would recommend in investing in one if you didn't already to increase your score.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�