UIUC vs. UHLC vs. Reapply Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JohnMaynardKeynes

New

UIUC vs. UHLC vs. Reapply

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:31 am

Background: I applied last year and decided to retake and reapply. I've taken the LSAT 3 times. I did apply late this cycle (January). I have okay softs with a year of work experience. Career goals would include Biglaw/FC and to eventually move in house. I received a full ride + stipend for undergrad and I have savings built up so I will not be taking on any debt for law school. I have no preference for work locations. I do not have any significant ties to any region/city. Needless to say, I understand I'll need to hustle when it comes to networking.

159, 3.62

UIUC - total COA = $60k
UHLC - total COA = $45k

Waitlists: UVA, BC, BU, Fordham. Still waiting on NU, Vandy & Penn.

I am strongly leaning UIUC as 37% BL/FC far exceeds UHLC. I plan to ride out the waitlists throughout the summer. Since costs really won't be an issue for me I would be okay paying close to sticker at BC or Fordham. I know this goes against the conventional TLS line of thinking, but it’s a personal position I am okay with because I will have zero debt regardless.

Should I go for UIUC and ride out the waitlists?
Should I reapply day 1 next cycle, plus an ED at UVA?

I would be keen to retake, but I can't until December. I could justify applying next cycle, but only if there is a compelling reason to believe an early app would provide a meaningful improvement?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

cavalier1138

Re: UIUC vs. UHLC vs. Reapply

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:54 am

UIUC is the better option, but if your only goals are biglaw/FC, then you should wait a bit and retake. "Hustle" only gets you so far if you can't hit the GPA cutoff for the firms.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 pm

(not my area of expertise by any means, so take with grain of salt) but i dont think a 159 is going to move the needle on any of this analysis if you wait a year.

if you could get UVA with a reapply without a retake (since you are out of takes), id maybe say to wait the year and reapply, but i just dont think you can.

its going to be a huge battle to get BL/FC out of illinois (there current numbers are basically peak economy when lawfirms had to releverage up after they laid everyone off in 2008/2009). but it probably gives you the best chance at your goals and the chance is decent enough (35%) at a cheap enough price to go for it if you must.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Johann wrote:if you could get UVA with a reapply without a retake (since you are out of takes), id maybe say to wait the year and reapply, but i just dont think you can.
They can retake in December, though.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:54 pm

yeah with BL/FC or bust, you should retake in december then.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm

Would it be wise to still submit UVA ED on day one and plan for the retake in December?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:00 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Would it be wise to still submit UVA ED on day one and plan for the retake in December?
No, because you don't have much of a shot at UVA, even with ED. If you want UVA, wait for the retake and then assess. If you ED, I'd think you'd be more likely to get the waitlist rather than just getting rolled to RD. It does no harm to retake in December, get the score, and if you're still not target numbers, apply with an ED.

JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:12 pm

UVA2B wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:Would it be wise to still submit UVA ED on day one and plan for the retake in December?
No, because you don't have much of a shot at UVA, even with ED. If you want UVA, wait for the retake and then assess. If you ED, I'd think you'd be more likely to get the waitlist rather than just getting rolled to RD. It does no harm to retake in December, get the score, and if you're still not target numbers, apply with an ED.
Got it. The advantage of applying early basically doesn't matter because a 159 is so far below median, correct?

What about any early advantage at BC & Fordham? Or better to entirely wait until after the retake to apply?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 pm

JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Got it. The advantage of applying early basically doesn't matter because a 159 is so far below median, correct?

What about any early advantage at BC & Fordham? Or better to entirely wait until after the retake to apply?
Correct, you need to be at/close to median at one of LSAT/UGPA for ED to carry you over the edge (likely at sticker, but that's an entirely different discussion for when you have options post-retake).

There is always an advantage to applying to a school you're competitive for early, but as it stands you're not incredibly competitive at either of those either. I would just buckle down, study for your retake, and reassess once you have new options based on that new, improved LSAT score.

JohnMaynardKeynes

New

Post by JohnMaynardKeynes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 pm

UVA2B wrote:
JohnMaynardKeynes wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Correct, you need to be at/close to median at one of LSAT/UGPA for ED to carry you over the edge (likely at sticker, but that's an entirely different discussion for when you have options post-retake).

There is always an advantage to applying to a school you're competitive for early, but as it stands you're not incredibly competitive at either of those either. I would just buckle down, study for your retake, and reassess once you have new options based on that new, improved LSAT score.
Hard to disagree in any way! I appreciate the advice.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”