(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback!
Last edited by wtfNYU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: T13 Splitter w/ Deadlines

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:11 pm

You need to reapply. Like first day apps come out. You will have better outcomes then. Also retaking is a good idea. Getting a few more points will make a big difference for $$$. Get a 174, looking at some good money.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:30 pm

You state, your academic interests, but what kind of career path are you hoping for?

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Last edited by wtfNYU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpal29

New

Postby Alpal29 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:34 pm

Last edited by Alpal29 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:36 pm

wtfNYU wrote:
grades?? wrote:You need to reapply. Like first day apps come out. You will have better outcomes then. Also retaking is a good idea. Getting a few more points will make a big difference for $$$. Get a 174, looking at some good money.

Thanks for the reply! You think the 174 would make a big difference with $$$, where and how much? From LSN it looks like my scholarships for Michigan and Georgetown are already beyond my numbers, and I'm just not sure that I can really go from the $115K range to the $150-180K range with my GPA btw. 3.0-3.45 (despite the PhD). I mean would that require a 177+ LSAT? Do people with my GPA ever even get full rides (non URM)? I'm not sure I could do that (177+) -- as it seems like test day can just be so random. I think I could get up to 173-176 though, but it is possible that something would go wrong on exam day, and I'd be back where I am with a 171 max LSAT.

Edit: I reread your post. Getting 90k from Duke/UVA is big considering your scores. I actually take back my advice and say you probably wont get much more unless its a 174+. I change my advice and say pick one of Duke/UVA and enjoy.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:43 pm

wtfNYU wrote:
grades?? wrote:You need to reapply. Like first day apps come out. You will have better outcomes then. Also retaking is a good idea. Getting a few more points will make a big difference for $$$. Get a 174, looking at some good money.

Thanks for the reply! You think the 174 would make a big difference with $$$, where and how much? From LSN it looks like my scholarships for Michigan and Georgetown are already beyond my numbers, and I'm just not sure that I can really go from the $115K range to the $150-180K range with my GPA btw. 3.0-3.45 (despite the PhD). I mean would that require a 177+ LSAT? Do people with my GPA ever even get full rides (non URM)? I'm not sure I could do that (177+) -- as it seems like test day can just be so random. I think I could get up to 173-176 though, but it is possible that something would go wrong on exam day, and I'd be back where I am with a 171 max LSAT.

What is your GPA? As was said, there is a huge difference between a 3.0 and a 3.45. If you are higher on the GPA scale, I agree with grades that applying next year early and retaking are good options. If you are closer to a 3.0 then you didn't underperform at all and probably won't get much more money even with a higher LSAT. Do you want to do IP? What kind of career do you want?

I'd say right now Michigan because it is the cheapest and will likely give you a good outcome. Also, agree that based on what you are describing what you want in a law school, NU would probably be a good fit. But COA should be the most important factor along with getting your goals for after law school

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:44 pm

Last edited by wtfNYU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:46 pm

wtfNYU wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:You state, your academic interests, but what kind of career path are you hoping for?

I'm interested in being a law professor eventually. To be completely honest --- I am not 100% sure what this path would look like for me. I know that many law professors have gone to Yale/Harvard and are on Law Review and then have a prestigious clerkship. I'm not totally sure whether other less traditional paths are gaining steam or not (particularly in the tech/egr law areas). Since I'm already 30 and spent many years in academia as a graduate student I feel pretty comfortable with this as my interest. However, I don't want to close off all other options. So, I would entertain other paths, such as big law with an engineering company or government regulation agency, but I really am drawn to the freedom of academia from an intellectual point of view. I am mainly interested post-grad in whatever opportunities let me work on the types of problems I am interested in and help me get closer to legal academia, a position I think will enable me to further explore my intellectual curiosities. I could expand on my specific legal academia and tech/engineering interests (as I actually have very specific interests and goals) but do not want to get too specific here so pm me if it would help you give advice!

If you want academia, you need to retake, get a 175+, go to Harvard, work your ass off and try to get law review/clerkships/etc. Otherwise, it is essentially impossible.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:50 pm

wtfNYU wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:You state, your academic interests, but what kind of career path are you hoping for?

I'm interested in being a law professor eventually. To be completely honest --- I am not 100% sure what this path would look like for me. I know that many law professors have gone to Yale/Harvard and are on Law Review and then have a prestigious clerkship. I'm not totally sure whether other less traditional paths are gaining steam or not (particularly in the tech/egr law areas). Since I'm already 30 and spent many years in academia as a graduate student I feel pretty comfortable with this as my interest. However, I don't want to close off all other options. So, I would entertain other paths, such as big law with an engineering company or government regulation agency, but I really am drawn to the freedom of academia from an intellectual point of view. I am mainly interested post-grad in whatever opportunities let me work on the types of problems I am interested in and help me get closer to legal academia, a position I think will enable me to further explore my intellectual curiosities. I could expand on my specific legal academia and tech/engineering interests (as I actually have very specific interests and goals) but do not want to get too specific here so pm me if it would help you give advice!

The only place where becoming a professor is a realistic possibility is Yale (to the point that it can be realistic goal). After that it is possible from all the t13, but you need to be at the very top of your class and get published, make good connections and luck. I don't know if any of your options right now would be right for that.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:55 pm

grades?? wrote:If you want academia, you need to retake, get a 175+, go to Harvard, work your ass off and try to get law review/clerkships/etc. Otherwise, it is essentially impossible.

Maybe OP will get lucky with the phd as a great soft, but I don't think Harvard is going to happen. That GPA is just too low to withdraw over, retake, and bet it all on Harvard imo.

But I get your point about academia being amazingly hard to crack.

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Last edited by wtfNYU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:06 pm

If you are a true academic type, I don't see biglaw as a place for you other than maybe some niche field. I've only known one academically minded person who managed biglaw but she did pro bono high level (Supreme Court level) cases. She started in DOJ but moved to NYC because of her husband.

Law schools aren't hiring much and the competition is intense for the few jobs that exist.

You should clarify your goals. Why all of a sudden do you want law after a PhD in engineering?

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 pm

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:10 pm

wtfNYU wrote:
Rigo wrote:
grades?? wrote:If you want academia, you need to retake, get a 175+, go to Harvard, work your ass off and try to get law review/clerkships/etc. Otherwise, it is essentially impossible.

Maybe OP will get lucky with the phd as a great soft, but I don't think Harvard is going to happen. That GPA is just too low to withdraw over, retake, and bet it all on Harvard imo.

But I get your point about academia being amazingly hard to crack.

I'm still WL at Harvard right now guys, there is still a chance ;). I hear you though. It is really annoying that the 12-8 years ago version of myself had no idea that I would randomly end up interested in law. Oh, also I attended a top 10 undergrad and grad school if that matters at all (and the UGPA is in ECE).

Yes, random is the important idea here. You want academia but you don't seem to understand how unlikely it is and how unhappy you might be in other careers.

Getting into Harvard doesn't equal academia as you well know and you weren't an auto admit there. You will be competing against auto admits at Yale.

Look at The Faculty Lounge and other law prof blogs for more insight or PM Paul Campos here and ask him about the difficulties in academic hiring even with an over abundance of law schools.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:13 pm

Yea, Unfortunatley i really don't know what to tell you. You have some very solid options, if you wanted to do IP, or something like that, but academia is really, really hard to get and none of these schools, maybe no schools period, give you much of a realistic chance.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd choose with govt/regulatory work in mind, since academia wis so unlikely. Set yourself up for Plan B is the way to go. I feel like you overperformed money-wise so that's good.

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 pm

If you want federal or state government non-clerking, then CLS is the best option. With your GPA you might have a chance,with a 173+ LSAT (CLS 75% percentile LSAT score). This also includes applying ED, with an excellent addendum explaining your GPA and LOR's. In conjunction with professional work experience,to separate your self from your GPA.

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:54 pm

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:11 am

URMSenator52 wrote:If you want federal or state government non-clerking, then CLS is the best option. With your GPA you might have a chance,with a 173+ LSAT (CLS 75% percentile LSAT score). This also includes applying ED, with an excellent addendum explaining your GPA and LOR's. In conjunction with professional work experience,to separate your self from your GPA.

Nah.

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:16 am

wtfNYU

New

Postby wtfNYU » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 am

Last edited by wtfNYU on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 am

wtfNYU wrote:RE: UGPA: For all those speculating... I would say that the UGPA is more in the middle of the 3.0-3.45 range than it is on the outskirts.

I wouldn't reapply if around 3.2. I'd pick Michigan, your cheapest option.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Postby presidentspivey » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:38 am

presidentspivey wrote:
wtfNYU wrote:RE: UGPA: For all those speculating... I would say that the UGPA is more in the middle of the 3.0-3.45 range than it is on the outskirts.

I wouldn't reapply if around 3.2. I'd pick Michigan, your cheapest option.

I misspoke. WUSTL is your cheapest option. Given your vague goals, I'd still go Michigan.

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 am

- I'd love a super intellectual environment. Basically, I want the intellectual convos to extend beyond the classroom (they can happen over beer etc., but I would like them to be more commonplace than not). I also would really value peers that will challenge me and diversity in thoughts with open mindsets. [I did NOT feel like I fit in at UVA if this gives any indication. Frat bros may be cool yo, but I'm probably more of a nerd (even if athletic!), and I'm okay with that!]
- I'd like great professors/mentors who are great teachers and scholars. I'd like to see teaching styles I want to emulate and also get to work with faculty on research projects etc.

This is so UChicago. I can't say how the money will work out for you, but this is something you'd find here for sure. We also have one of the top patent scholars in the world if you're into that. Let me know what you're thinking as you continue narrowing down schools and hear from UChi. I'd love to talk to you about the research I've done here and the faculty.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�