Northwestern worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carasrook

Bronze

Northwestern worth it?

Postby carasrook » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm planning on depositing at UIUC this week with a full tuition scholarship. Thanks to savings and the low COL in Urbana-Champaign, I'll graduate debt free.

I was waitlisted by NU today, which was a big surprise. I was certain I'd be rejected. I am entirely aware that my chances of getting into NU off the waitlist are slim at best... but, I gotta wonder...

Would going to NU at sticker be worth it over UIUC for free?

I have NO interest in big law, and hope to practice family law + wills/estate planning in Chicago.

Going into $300k debt for Northwestern would be crazy, and I should stop daydreaming, right?

Side note: Northwestern has been my dream school since childhood, 100% for stupid reasons like prestige and location.

Mullens

Silver

Re: Northwestern worth it?

Postby Mullens » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 pm

carasrook wrote:I'm planning on depositing at UIUC this week with a full tuition scholarship. Thanks to savings and the low COL in Urbana-Champaign, I'll graduate debt free.

I was waitlisted by NU today, which was a big surprise. I was certain I'd be rejected. I am entirely aware that my chances of getting into NU off the waitlist are slim at best... but, I gotta wonder...

Would going to NU at sticker be worth it over UIUC for free?

I have NO interest in big law, and hope to practice family law + wills/estate planning in Chicago.

Going into $300k debt for Northwestern would be crazy, and I should stop daydreaming, right?

Side note: Northwestern has been my dream school since childhood, 100% for stupid reasons like prestige and location.

I'm a Northwestern 3L. NU is not worth sticker with any goals but especially not with those goals.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:56 pm

No. Go to UIUC. Enjoy not having debt.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:09 pm

This is a slam dunk for Illinois for you.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:12 pm

I think UIUC for free is probably the perfect school for your goals.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Postby Gitaroo_Dude » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:14 pm

A full-ride at UIUC with the goal of practicing family law in Illinois is going to be one of the best outcomes anyone has this cycle. Congrats.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:19 pm

Not even close. Congratulations on your full scholarship.

carasrook

Bronze

Postby carasrook » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:56 pm

exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks everybody!

GamecocksDT

New

Postby GamecocksDT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:07 pm

star fox wrote:This is a slam dunk for Illinois for you.

I'm in a similar situation. It's more like Northwestern $ vs. UIUC with full tuition. With my goal being Chicago biglaw, would Northwestern be a slam dunk?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 pm

GamecocksDT wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. It's more like Northwestern $ vs. UIUC with full tuition. With my goal being Chicago biglaw, would Northwestern be a slam dunk?

Depends on how much. UIUC was at 37% this year, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going there with big law as the goal. At the same time I wouldn't pay $150k more for NU

GamecocksDT

New

Postby GamecocksDT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:01 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
GamecocksDT wrote:

Depends on how much. UIUC was at 37% this year, but I wouldn't feel comfortable going there with big law as the goal. At the same time I wouldn't pay $150k more for NU

More along the lines of 90k more.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 pm

GamecocksDT wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
GamecocksDT wrote:

Probably right at the line of being worth it. NU, but try and squeeze a little more out of them

GamecocksDT

New

Postby GamecocksDT » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:42 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
GamecocksDT wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
GamecocksDT wrote:

Probably right at the line of being worth it. NU, but try and squeeze a little more out of them

Doubt they're going to play ball when I'm sitting on the WL at most of the other schools that they'd negotiate with. Doesn't help that I applied late Jan.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�