GW vs. Case Western Reserve

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

GW or CWRU

GW
20%
Case
10%
Don't go to law school
55%
Hope to get off a waitlist
15%

Total votes: 20

person123456

New

GW vs. Case Western Reserve

Postby person123456 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm

168 / no show / 160 (best I can do?) 2.9

George Washington - $75,000 scholarship COA = 173,700
Case Western Reserve - $126,000 scholarship COA = 83,346

Other offers:
Cincinnati - $30,000 scholarship COA = 99,834
Pittsburgh - $60,000 scholarship COA = 97,002
Akron - $54,000 scholarship COA = 73,590

Waitlisted:
Ohio State

Denied:
Northwestern

No Response:
Vanderbilt
Texas
WUSTL
Michigan
etc.

My parents will help me out finacially, but I'm not sure exactly how much. If I get lucky, I might be able to get by at Case with just parental support and part time work with minimal/no loans. $18,320 COL for 9 months in Cleveland seems inflated to me.

I have lived in Ohio my whole life. Ideally, I want to move somewhere new and exciting, and have a different experience, but a law career close to home would also be a good outcome.

I am keeping an open mind on career goals at this point, and I want to keep as many reasonable options open as possible.

GW would give me many more options for a possible law career. I am not a debt averse person, but I am still wondering if this extra flexibility is worth ~$100,000 in loans.

My seat deposit for Case is due on Saturday. Should I ask for an extension? Does anyone have any advice on a scholarship negotiation strategy?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

floatie

Silver

Re: GW vs. Case Western Reserve

Postby floatie » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:30 pm

Unfortunately, those are both terrible options. You shouldn't be taking out close to $200k in loans for GW, and Case is not nearly as good of a law school as it is in other areas. I'd do whatever you can to get off the waitlist at OSU, which is your best bet for work in Ohio. If that doesn't work, I would use your GW offer to negotiate at Cincinnati - it's a decent school with very strong placement in the Cincinnati/N. KY area.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

I know you're keeping your career options "open", but do you have at least a general sense of what you want to do? These schools narrow your options quite a bit, both geographically and in terms of overall career path.

person123456

New

Postby person123456 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:22 pm

floatie wrote:Unfortunately, those are both terrible options. You shouldn't be taking out close to $200k in loans for GW, and Case is not nearly as good of a law school as it is in other areas. I'd do whatever you can to get off the waitlist at OSU, which is your best bet for work in Ohio. If that doesn't work, I would use your GW offer to negotiate at Cincinnati - it's a decent school with very strong placement in the Cincinnati/N. KY area.

It would be closer to 100k than 200k. I honestly am not very debt-averse. 10% of my salary for 25 years seems like a worthwhile risk to me if it can transform my life for the better.

Is Cincinnati really that much better than Case? They seem to have similar employment statistics, and Case does slightly better in the rankings every year.

person123456

New

Postby person123456 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I know you're keeping your career options "open", but do you have at least a general sense of what you want to do? These schools narrow your options quite a bit, both geographically and in terms of overall career path.

I want to take some classes first before I decide what direction I want to go in. I am interested in possibly working for the government or a corporation. 1/3 of GW students work at big law firms, so that could be an option. Even at Case over 10% find big law jobs, so it’s not completely outside the realm of possibility. Maybe entertainment law? (I know it’s a long shot.) I just want a job as a lawyer; I could be satisfied doing wills and trusts.

It seems like the vast majority of GW students work in DC, New York, Virginia, or Maryland. Are these the only places jobs are available for GW grads, or is this more of a self-selection situation?

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:26 pm

What are your non law options?

person123456

New

Postby person123456 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Johann wrote:What are your non law options?

I have a polysci degree I'm not using. I'm in a dead end job in my hometown right now. If I don't go to law school I'm gonna move back to Columbus or to the west coast and hang out for a year.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:23 pm

Case western if Ohio is the long term goal. It's gonna be grind, but with your degree it's gonna be a grind no matter what n

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:41 am

person123456 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I know you're keeping your career options "open", but do you have at least a general sense of what you want to do? These schools narrow your options quite a bit, both geographically and in terms of overall career path.

I want to take some classes first before I decide what direction I want to go in. I am interested in possibly working for the government or a corporation. 1/3 of GW students work at big law firms, so that could be an option. Even at Case over 10% find big law jobs, so it’s not completely outside the realm of possibility. Maybe entertainment law? (I know it’s a long shot.) I just want a job as a lawyer; I could be satisfied doing wills and trusts.

It seems like the vast majority of GW students work in DC, New York, Virginia, or Maryland. Are these the only places jobs are available for GW grads, or is this more of a self-selection situation?

Yeah, biglaw isn't something you can count on from either of these schools, and you're going to be heavily limited in terms of what kind of government or corporate work is available to you.

If you really want to have complete control over the direction your legal career takes, then neither of these schools fit the bill. Both schools confine you to specific regions. Both schools cut off a number of career paths for anyone not at the top of the class. So if that's really your goal, retake the LSAT and reapply next cycle.

But if you really just want to be a lawyer as quickly as possible, follow your dreams, I guess. I don't think that path ends well for you, but you seem like you've made your mind up in advance.

person123456

New

Postby person123456 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:42 pm

In your opinion, what dollar amount of a scholarship would make GW worth attending? 100k? Full ride?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:26 pm

person123456 wrote:In your opinion, what dollar amount of a scholarship would make GW worth attending? 100k? Full ride?

Total COA under $100k, which would basically require a full ride or close to it since DC is expensive.

Try to get more money from Case Western and if you are ok with the idea of staying in Ohio and working small law and grinding it out as Johann said. If not, I think you have to retake and sit out this cycle

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:29 pm

person123456 wrote:In your opinion, what dollar amount of a scholarship would make GW worth attending? 100k? Full ride?

In general, a full ride. For you, I don't think there's any scholarship that makes it worth it, because GW will never give you any real career flexibility, unless you place at the top of the class.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?