Columbia vs UPenn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawDataz

New

Columbia vs UPenn

Postby LawDataz » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts on Columbia (sticker) versus UPenn (50k+ scholly; 15k+/year)? I am interested in NYC Big Law and particularly hard (as opposed to soft) IP work. I am also interested in that work having international potential. No clue what I am going to do, so any insight would be appreciated.
Last edited by LawDataz on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Re: Columbia vs UPenn

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:59 pm

those are your only T13 options?

RSN

Silver

Postby RSN » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Obviously if those are your only two options go to Penn without question. Do you have money anywhere else?

LawDataz

New

Postby LawDataz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

proteinshake wrote:those are your only T13 options?

No, but those are the only two I'm interested in. I got in at Duke, Michigan, Virginia (all w/ some money) as well as Northwestern. Waitlisted at Chicago and radio silence from NYU.

LawDataz

New

Postby LawDataz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:50 am

RSN wrote:Obviously if those are your only two options go to Penn without question. Do you have money anywhere else?

I have money at Duke, Michigan and Virginia, but I'm pretty committed to living and working in the northeast.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:53 am

LawDataz wrote:
RSN wrote:Obviously if those are your only two options go to Penn without question. Do you have money anywhere else?

I have money at Duke, Michigan and Virginia, but I'm pretty committed to living and working in the northeast.

all of these schools can get you back to the Northeast easily. how much money did you get from the other schools?

LawDataz

New

Postby LawDataz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am

proteinshake wrote:
LawDataz wrote:

all of these schools can get you back to the Northeast easily. how much money did you get from the other schools?

80k + 20k for LLM; 90k; 60k (respectively)

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am

Based on those additional offers, Duke might be the best bet. But it ifs Penn v Columbia, go Penn. Even on biglaw salary Columbia at sticker is indefensible.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:Based on those additional offers, Duke might be the best bet. But it ifs Penn v Columbia, go Penn. Even on biglaw salary Columbia at sticker is indefensible.

yeah it'd be a huge mistake to take Columbia. I'd go Duke here.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:42 am

Why the $20k for an LLM? Duke is the best offer on the table, but I'm confused why you're being given a discount to get an LLM. Can you get that as just $100k for your JD and forego the LLM?

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:46 am

UVA2B wrote:Why the $20k for an LLM? Duke is the best offer on the table, but I'm confused why you're being given a discount to get an LLM. Can you get that as just $100k for your JD and forego the LLM?

nah Duke gives extra money for the LLM since the LLM increases your COA.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 am

proteinshake wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Why the $20k for an LLM? Duke is the best offer on the table, but I'm confused why you're being given a discount to get an LLM. Can you get that as just $100k for your JD and forego the LLM?

Is this within the three years, or does it require a fourth year with attendant COA? If so, Michigan pulls into the lead because that LLM will be zero value added following graduation (beyond miring yourself in legal academia for an additional year taking regular law school classes that won't help when you start working, even if it's ancillary applicable to the practice group you'll eventually end up in with a possible exception of tax).

ETA: mistook UVA and Michigan offers, fixed

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:56 am

UVA2B wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

Is this within the three years, or does it require a fourth year with attendant COA? If so, Michigan pulls into the lead because that LLM will be zero value added following graduation (beyond miring yourself in legal academia for an additional year taking regular law school classes that won't help when you start working, even if it's ancillary applicable to the practice group you'll eventually end up in with a possible exception of tax).

three years (no extra time needed)

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:57 am

proteinshake wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

three years (no extra time needed)

Ok, then Duke

Return to “Choosing a Law School�