Brooklyn ($$$) v. Fordham ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
obligatorysnark

New

Brooklyn ($$$) v. Fordham ($)

Post by obligatorysnark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Brooklyn - Merit scholly $30k/year part-time program (top 80% stip) ~ $3k/year out of pocket
Fordham - Merit scholly $5k/year part-time program ("good standing" stip) ~ $35k/year out of pocket

Non-traditional student, out of UG for ten years, working as a paralegal for eight. Interested in IP or Corporate Law, would like to work in-house. Will continue job while in school, job offer as an attorney after graduation is unknown. I am not interested in biglaw hours (I will have family commitments). Taking my goals into consideration, is the price difference worth paying for the higher-ranked school?

cavalier1138

Re: Brooklyn ($$$) v. Fordham ($)

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:34 pm

Where do you plan on practicing IP or corporate work (with the prospect of transferring in-house) without putting in biglaw hours?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Given the goals, I'd pay for the price difference and just PAYE if you hit a snag. Corporate and IP will be a lot trickier with more hurdles from Brooklyn.

obligatorysnark

New

Post by obligatorysnark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:43 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Where do you plan on practicing IP or corporate work (with the prospect of transferring in-house) without putting in biglaw hours?
Good question -- I am hoping my work experience will help with that. Of course, if biglaw in the field is usually a prereq, then I am open to it, provided the opportunity is there. If biglaw is not a realistic option, I am fine working for a smaller firm to gain that experience with the eventual goal of an in-house position.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm

obligatorysnark wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Where do you plan on practicing IP or corporate work (with the prospect of transferring in-house) without putting in biglaw hours?
Good question -- I am hoping my work experience will help with that. Of course, if biglaw in the field is usually a prereq, then I am open to it, provided the opportunity is there. If biglaw is not a realistic option, I am fine working for a smaller firm to gain that experience with the eventual goal of an in-house position.
I mean, biglaw would probably be the best way to work into an in-house position (unless you're targeting a local company that has an in-house position), but it's not like lawyers at small firms work less than biglaw associates. Granted, associates at small firms don't have some of the insane, last-minute deals in corporate practice that biglaw associates deal with, but small law firms generally don't have much corporate practice at all. You're still not putting in a 9-5 day for a decent salary.

obligatorysnark

New

Post by obligatorysnark » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:03 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
obligatorysnark wrote:
I mean, biglaw would probably be the best way to work into an in-house position (unless you're targeting a local company that has an in-house position), but it's not like lawyers at small firms work less than biglaw associates. Granted, associates at small firms don't have some of the insane, last-minute deals in corporate practice that biglaw associates deal with, but small law firms generally don't have much corporate practice at all. You're still not putting in a 9-5 day for a decent salary.
I meant that from a realist perspective -- I know how rarely biglaw positions are offered to students from either of these schools. Should I secure one of these positions, sure, I'm willing to spend a few years paying my dues, whether it's biglaw or a smaller firm (as far as I know, there are quite a few boutique firms specializing in IP). A decent salary to begin with is not what I am concerned about -- I want growth as a lawyer and I have completely hit a wall as a paralegal. My concern is the debtload -- is the marginal increase in Fordham's stats worth the $32k difference in tuition per year? I would also like to start a family at some point in the next 8 years so debt minimization is a priority, but not at a significant opportunity cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”