Attending Law School at Institution Where You Attended Undergrad / Worked?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dubois

New

Attending Law School at Institution Where You Attended Undergrad / Worked?

Postby dubois » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:50 pm

Curious to hear from folks that chose to attend the same institution for law school that they attended for undergrad or had worked prior to law school. I have spent several years working at the same university that I'm considering for law school, albeit in a different school / department. I've already made some connections with law school professors here through my current work. I have no doubt that the law school here would be a great fit, but have been told by many that it may make sense to go elsewhere to create a new network and experience something new. For folks that chose to remain at the school where they'd done undergrad or worked, any regrets? Has the campus grown "old" with time? Do you feel like you're experiencing something truly different? Anything I should think about that might not already be on my radar? FWIW, the other law school I'm seriously considering is ranked similarly and would present the same COA.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Re: Attending Law School at Institution Where You Attended Undergrad / Worked?

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:36 pm

Well, what's the institution?

The arguments advanced for going somewhere else (new network, new environment) are idiotic and unrelated to actual reasons you should go somewhere else (your alma mater's law school isn't very good).

dubois

New

Postby dubois » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:50 pm

Trade-off is between HYS, so not facing the "quality" issue.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:10 pm

dubois wrote:Trade-off is between HYS, so not facing the "quality" issue.

Oh, then go to Yale.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:29 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Oh, then go to Yale.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

Although frankly double-Yalies are a little weird so I might go H or S in this situation.

not a serious post. except the Yale part

sprezz

Bronze

Postby sprezz » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:55 pm

that network thing only really makes sense for career academ....

oh

well.

whatever

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:20 am

I guess I would think about it in reference to this hypothetical. If I attended Stanford for college, I would probably consider the completely distinct network at Harvard to have at least some added value in the choice between HLS and SLS. Similarly, if I attended Harvard College, I would consider the completely distinct network at Stanford law to confer at least some added value in the choice between the two schools. I would not consider it even close to dispositive, but it would be one factor. By contrast, if I attended Stanford, Harvard College, or Yale College, and Yale law was on the table, it would still be the clear choice because it is the better law school (barring some weird financial difference if YLS was substantially more expensive).

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:40 am

If your undergrad institution aligns with your personal interest,and COA for law school. While also giving you good career prospects and or feeds, into a thriving legal market. I would personally go for it check the LST report for an exact analysis. As a parallel to your question former acting U.S Attorney General Sally Yates, attended UGA for Undergrad and for Law School. Also U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, attended Harvard Undergrad and Law school. Being comfortable in law school is very important. Staying at your UG institution can save a lot time with the "honeymoon period". Overall of getting acquainted with the university; law school, and surrounding area. Time better spent studying above peers during 1L imo.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:45 am

URMSenator52 wrote:If your undergrad institution aligns with your personal interest,and COA for law school. While also giving you good career prospects and or feeds, into a thriving legal market. I would personally go for it check the LST report for an exact analysis. As a parallel to your question former acting U.S Attorney General Sally Yates, attended UGA for Undergrad and for Law School. Also U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, attended Harvard Undergrad and Law school. Being comfortable in law school is very important. Staying at your UG institution can save a lot time with the "honeymoon period". Overall of getting acquainted with the university; law school, and surrounding area. Time better spent studying above peers during 1L imo.

Congratulations, you successfully reached gibberish. That's like zen for the irrelevant.

URMSenator52

New

Postby URMSenator52 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:57 am

UVA2B wrote:
URMSenator52 wrote:If your undergrad institution aligns with your personal interest,and COA for law school. While also giving you good career prospects and or feeds, into a thriving legal market. I would personally go for it check the LST report for an exact analysis. As a parallel to your question former acting U.S Attorney General Sally Yates, attended UGA for Undergrad and for Law School. Also U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, attended Harvard Undergrad and Law school. Being comfortable in law school is very important. Staying at your UG institution can save a lot time with the "honeymoon period". Overall of getting acquainted with the university; law school, and surrounding area. Time better spent studying above peers during 1L imo.

Congratulations, you successfully reached gibberish. That's like zen for the irrelevant.

Lol the OP posted an oblivious self explanatory question to being with. COA x personal interests x career prospects x networking x ability/comfort level to achieve at least top 10% 1l grades in chosen law school = rational choosing a law school decision .

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:22 am

URMSenator52 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Lol the OP posted an oblivious self explanatory question to being with. COA x personal interests x career prospects x networking x ability/comfort level to achieve at least top 10% 1l grades in chosen law school = rational choosing a law school decision .

Come again?

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:45 am

URMSenator52 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

What?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 am

URMSenator52 wrote:Lol the OP posted an oblivious self explanatory question to being with. COA x personal interests x career prospects x networking x ability/comfort level to achieve at least top 10% 1l grades in chosen law school = rational choosing a law school decision .

This isn't a thing, especially when you're choosing between HYS and everyone there is one of the top law students in the country.

KissMyAxe

Bronze

Postby KissMyAxe » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Although frankly double-Yalies are a little weird so I might go H or S in this situation.

not a serious post. except the Yale part

This is not inaccurate. But it's because Yale undergrads are a little weird to start with. But yeah, go to YLS.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�