Berkeley v. Chicago v. Penn

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley ($$)
68%
Penn ($$)
12%
Chicago ($)
20%

Total votes: 25

genjustice

New

Postby genjustice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:26 pm

-------
Last edited by genjustice on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: Berkeley v. Chicago v. Penn

Postby Veil of Ignorance » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Is this 50k a year or total?

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:42 pm

Put some ties in Cali

genjustice

New

Postby genjustice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:Is this 50k a year or total?

Total - sorry should've been more clear.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm a little confused here on your goals: you're interested in federal government, biglaw litigation, but are planning on relying on loan forgiveness? FedGov would apply to an LRAP, but the biglaw red herring is kind of throwing me off. And that's compounded by being 100% positive you want to be in CA for work. Are you wanting to go into FedGov with the intent of lateraling into Biglaw ten years down the road after your loans are forgiven? If that's your goal/plan, then I would suggest Chicago for the best chance of achieving your goal of FedGov jobs, but those won't be in CA for the next decade following graduation more than likely.

If what you want most is CA work immediately following graduation, go to Berkeley (although Berkeley at that price makes me personally uncomfortable).
If you want to go into FedGov while relying on LRAP/PSLF for a decade following graduation, then Chicago is the best choice.

genjustice

New

Postby genjustice » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 pm

UVA2B wrote:I'm a little confused here on your goals: you're interested in federal government, biglaw litigation, but are planning on relying on loan forgiveness? FedGov would apply to an LRAP, but the biglaw red herring is kind of throwing me off. And that's compounded by being 100% positive you want to be in CA for work. Are you wanting to go into FedGov with the intent of lateraling into Biglaw ten years down the road after your loans are forgiven? If that's your goal/plan, then I would suggest Chicago for the best chance of achieving your goal of FedGov jobs, but those won't be in CA for the next decade following graduation more than likely.

If what you want most is CA work immediately following graduation, go to Berkeley (although Berkeley at that price makes me personally uncomfortable).
If you want to go into FedGov while relying on LRAP/PSLF for a decade following graduation, then Chicago is the best choice.

Thanks for that really insightful post! Very helpful. So would you say Berk for CA BigLaw/USAO-NDC/fed clerking in ND or 9th Circ? Or would Chi give a leg up for those given T4 prestige?

landshoes

Silver

Postby landshoes » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:03 pm

I honestly don't know what Berkley's ability to place is like, but I know people with 9th and NDCA clerkships from UChi. Not sure if that helps, ha ha. If you feel more comfortable at Berkley maybe that's the place to go.

LoganCouture

Gold

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:35 pm

If you really are 100% CA or bust (particularly if SF/SV or bust), I would choose Berkeley here. I would choose Berkeley over basically every school but S (and even then it would depend on relative cost) though.

Disclaimer: 2L, knows nothing.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:41 pm

genjustice wrote: Goal is to end up in government or BigLaw litigation.

genjustice wrote: Received total $50k from Berkeley and Penn, and total $15k from Chicago - rest will be financed through loans and I'll probably go down the PI loan forgiveness route.

You have some contradictory goals.

That aside, for someone who has no California ties but wants to practice in the state, Berkeley is probably the best choice here, even if cost were equal. The fact that Berkeley is cheaper makes your choice fairly straightforward.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:45 pm

LoganCouture wrote:If you really are 100% CA or bust (particularly if SF/SV or bust), I would choose Berkeley here. I would choose Berkeley over basically every school but S (and even then it would depend on relative cost) though.

That's taking it a little too far. I'd choose H and Y over Berkeley as well. A H or Y student is going to have an easier time in the CA market (including SF/SV) compared to a Berkeley student.

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:46 pm

rpupkin wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:If you really are 100% CA or bust (particularly if SF/SV or bust), I would choose Berkeley here. I would choose Berkeley over basically every school but S (and even then it would depend on relative cost) though.

That's taking it a little too far. I'd choose H and Y over Berkeley as well. A H or Y student is going to have an easier time in the CA market (including SF/SV) compared to a Berkeley student.

what about chicago? (assume strong existing ties)

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:49 pm

curry1 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

what about chicago? (assume strong existing ties)

If my goal was Nor Cal, I'd want to be at Berkeley instead of Chicago. For SoCal it's probably a wash. For every other market in the country, Chicago is at least slightly better. The preceding assumes equal cost.

LoganCouture

Gold

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 am

rpupkin wrote:

Yeah sorry I phrased messily and overlooked that one could get H/Y but not S. I would agree to take H/Y over B depending on cost.

eck456

Bronze

Postby eck456 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:47 am

rpupkin wrote:

eh. there's some strong Cal pride - a LOT of people hiring in the Bay went to Cal for undergrad or law school and have a lot of pride in hiring other Cal grads. I'm sure there are times when a H/Y is just...interesting? compared to a bunch of Cal apps, but actually I've seen Cal applicants hired in a variety of jobs over H grads, at least in the Bay. caveat, didn't work directly in law but worked with a lot of lawyers.

Edited to add: I don't think Berkeley in the Bay is EASIER to get hired with than H/Y, just don't discount the hometown effect and think it's a shoe-in situation
Last edited by eck456 on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

WheninLaw

Silver

Postby WheninLaw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:48 am

genjustice wrote:I know 100% I want to live and practice in CA (no ties), so Berkeley seems the way to go. But I also want to keep options open for BigFed and clerkships, which leads me to believe that I should go to Chi to keep as many doors open - especially given B's recent ranking drop (though I'm not sure how relevant this should be in my decision?). Love that Chi and Penn have smaller class sizes, while I love B's grading system and culture. Goal is to end up in government or BigLaw litigation.

Received total $50k from Berkeley and Penn, and total $15k from Chicago - rest will be financed through loans and I'll probably go down the PI loan forgiveness route. All three schools seem to have similar plans though so that hasn't been a big factor in my decision - please correct me if otherwise.

So so so thankful given my stats (167/3.8, non-URM) and would love any insight from y'all!

No way Chicago is worth that much more than Berkeley for CA biglaw.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:08 am

eck456 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

eh. there's some strong Cal pride - a LOT of people hiring in the Bay went to Cal for undergrad or law school and have a lot of pride in hiring other Cal grads. I'm sure there are times when a H/Y is just...interesting? compared to a bunch of Cal apps, but actually I've seen Cal applicants hired in a variety of jobs over H grads, at least in the Bay. caveat, didn't work directly in law but worked with a lot of lawyers.

Edited to add: I don't think Berkeley in the Bay is EASIER to get hired with than H/Y, just don't discount the hometown effect and think it's a shoe-in situation

I'm not discounting the hometown effect; that's why I give B a bump over the non-HYS T14. But it's generally not enough of a bump to overcome the rep of HY. And I do work directly in law.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�