Fordham ($$) vs. UVA

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
PrimeNYC

New

Fordham ($$) vs. UVA

Postby PrimeNYC » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:49 am

I have a week to make a decision. I got in at Fordham with $40K/Year, and I got in at UVA at sticker. I have a 170 LSAT/3.4 GPA, so though a retake might help a bit, it's not really in the cards.

I'm coming out of undergrad with a bit of debt, but not a ton, around 34K. I am not particularly debt averse, but am aware that this might bite me in the ass if things don't happen to go my way in the future.

The allure of a T10 school is great, but I also would love to live and eventually work in New York/New York Big Law.

I'm on the waitlist at almost every other school I applied to, save a few rejections, and am still waiting to hear from NYU - so expecting a WL or ding. There are maybe two schools that I would attend if admitted over either of my current options.

My mother has asked a few of her colleagues at NY firms what they would do and almost all of them said they would choose Virginia. But something is still nagging at me to at least consider, maybe choose, Fordham.

I just need some input and some advice. Thanks in advance!

curry1

Silver

Re: Fordham ($$) vs. UVA

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:02 am

PrimeNYC wrote:I have a week to make a decision. I got in at Fordham with $40K/Year, and I got in at UVA at sticker. I have a 170 LSAT/3.4 GPA, so though a retake might help a bit, it's not really in the cards.

I'm coming out of undergrad with a bit of debt, but not a ton, around 34K. I am not particularly debt averse, but am aware that this might bite me in the ass if things don't happen to go my way in the future.

The allure of a T10 school is great, but I also would love to live and eventually work in New York/New York Big Law.

I'm on the waitlist at almost every other school I applied to, save a few rejections, and am still waiting to hear from NYU - so expecting a WL or ding. There are maybe two schools that I would attend if admitted over either of my current options.

My mother has asked a few of her colleagues at NY firms what they would do and almost all of them said they would choose Virginia. But something is still nagging at me to at least consider, maybe choose, Fordham.

I just need some input and some advice. Thanks in advance!

Did you apply to all of the t13? If you did, you should have gotten decent money at other t13s; if not, I would consider reapplying. Out of your options, UVA makes more sense. Unless COL would be covered if you went to Fordham, you would come out with ~150 to 200k in debt including ug and probably would not get biglaw and be able to service it. 300k in debt at uva is much less of a gamble, but you would need to recognize that you'll be working until you're past 30 to get to net zero.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:03 am

I'm sure the TLS faithful will have lots to comment tomorrow, but if it were me and those were the only two options, I'd go UVA all day. The reality is they are just a much better school.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:05 am

I wouldn't go to Fordham dead set on big law, but I really, really, really wouldn't advise debt financing UVA sticker. I would reapply.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:21 am

Yea dude, "the mob" is going to be looking for a better set of options than just some weird, binary choice between a T10 at 300K of debt and ~120K debt at a T50. This is why people are urged in September/October to apply broadly so they have a spectrum of options with a "smooth" combination of COAs/locations/schools so it's easier to find that inflection point between value and prestige.

If these are truly your only two options, my take is you've fucked up your cycle and should retake/reapply next year. Now, if you have options like GULC with 25K a year, Vandy with 30K, Emory with 40K, and Dozo full with stipend options hiding in the background in this scenario, then we might be in business. Hope so.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am

If those are truly your only two options, was there some glaring mistake in your applications or something that got you rejected? Personally, I'd go UVA because Fordham just won't give you near the chances, but its an awful, awful choice at sticker price.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�