. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Dillard @UVA or Harvard

Dillard
83%
Harvard
17%

Total votes: 46

Meowcats

New

Post by Meowcats » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:57 am

Last edited by Meowcats on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dcc617

Gold

Re: Dillard at UVA vs Harvard

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 pm

What benefit does Harvard offer that UVA doesn't thats worth over 150K in debt? This seems like a no brainer for UVA.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 pm

Dillard.

Or no law school at all, since a JD really won't help much for your long-term goals. But if you're going to go, at least go for free.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:14 pm

Dillard is the objectively better option in my mind.

Though I'd bet money that you'll be at Harvard this fall.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Dillard.

Or no law school at all, since a JD really won't help much for your long-term goals. But if you're going to go, at least go for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:47 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:50 pm

100% dillard, but you will pick Harvard Im sure

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Dillard. Save your savings and graduate UVA in the green.

defunct

New

Post by defunct » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:04 pm

Last edited by defunct on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:58 pm

Take the Dillard, don't be a dullard.

But, we can be honest here...hundreds (thousands?) of applicants each year take prestige over value because they are 22 and the idea of money isn't real to them yet and being a wage slave falls into the category of "future problems". I'm certain that the vast majority of people who start "Ruby v. Harvard" or "Dillard v. Harvard" or "Mordecai v. Harvard" threads know the right answer but really...don't...wanna. So, they post on TLS looking for validation, and when they don't get it, they do what they were going to do anyway.

They wanna tell Uncle Joe from Mississippi during the family Memorial Day weekend that they're going to Harvard (and the guy thinks UVA is peers with Mississippi St...damn that lack of lay preftige). They want Meemaw to brag to her friends at bingo night and not have to tell everyone with a sigh, "Oh Johnny/Jenny's just going to a state school study law." Just think dude, even if you get to drop that H-bomb 20 (maybe 30??) insufferable times, at a cost of $150,000 (and that's being generous) I hope you're ready to shell out $5,000 for each eye-roll inducing social interaction. Buy hey...the town drunk that you barely know and hardly like who's nursing a hangover at the local Krispy Kreme next Saturday will think you're smart when you bust out your Haaaavaaad 0L credentials over a maple bar. (Aaaand...that breakfast just cost $5,000! Enjoy.)

Don't fuck this up, OP. Good luck.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:06 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Take the Dillard, don't be a dullard.

But, we can be honest here...hundreds (thousands?) of applicants each year take prestige over value because they are 22 and the idea of money isn't real to them yet and being a wage slave falls into the category of "future problems". I'm certain that the vast majority of people who start "Ruby v. Harvard" or "Dillard v. Harvard" or "Mordecai v. Harvard" threads know the right answer but really...don't...wanna. So, they post on TLS looking for validation, and when they don't get it, they do what they were going to do anyway.

They wanna tell Uncle Joe from Mississippi during the family Memorial Day weekend that they're going to Harvard (and the guy thinks UVA is peers with Mississippi St...damn that lack of lay preftige). They want Meemaw to brag to her friends at bingo night and not have to tell everyone with a sigh, "Oh Johnny/Jenny's just going to a state school study law." Just think dude, even if you get to drop that H-bomb 20 (maybe 30??) insufferable times, at a cost of $150,000 (and that's being generous) I hope you're ready to shell out $5,000 for each eye-roll inducing social interaction. Buy hey...the town drunk that you barely know and hardly like who's nursing a hangover at the local Krispy Kreme next Saturday will think you're smart when you bust out your Haaaavaaad 0L credentials over a maple bar. (Aaaand...that breakfast just cost $5,000! Enjoy.)

Don't fuck this up, OP. Good luck.
Beautiful.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:20 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote: I'm certain that the vast majority of people who start "Ruby v. Harvard" or "Dillard v. Harvard" or "Mordecai v. Harvard" threads know the right answer but really...don't...wanna.
I actually think this significantly underestimates the number of people who just plan to go to the best school they got into, whatever the cost. I'm shocked how often I run into people who tell me they turned down big big money to I assume pay sticker (though I guess some of their parents may be paying, I don't know).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”