W&L v. UIUC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawlaw1000

New

W&L v. UIUC

Postby lawlaw1000 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:21 pm

Not sure which school to pick so a little input would be appreciated. COA at both schools is the same-90k. I have about 25k in savings to help and no current debt. I have no ties to either state, but my immediate family is moving to Virginia. I currently work on the other side of the country, so I am unfortunately unable to visit either school. I would prefer to live in Virginia and I think I would be genuinely happier at W&L(small town does not bother me at all), but UIUC has better biglaw placement. Speaking of which, I am not entirely sure of what I'd like to do post law school. Biglaw is definitely on my radar and I would like to have the option to do it if possible, but I'll figure it out as as I go. Living in Chicago is also not appealing to me, but if its best for my career I guess I could suffer through it. I'm dying for this years employment data...

Thanks for the help.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: W&L v. UIUC

Postby Rigo » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:39 pm

W&L. All your geographic preferences should automatically disqualify UIUC from consideration.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:07 am

If you want to work in Virginia, I'm not sure what the conflict is...

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Postby gaddockteeg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:56 pm

I've heard really good things from co-workers about UIUC FWIW. Job placement is better than the number indicate, people seem pleased that they went for the most part, etc.

edit: nevermind. I saw you want to live in VA. go to W&L.

lawlaw1000

New

Postby lawlaw1000 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Ok I think I may have been a bit to harsh on Chicago in my OP so let me elaborate a bit more. I did my undergrad in a city about the same size of Urban-Champaign so the undergrad location is not a downside or unreasonable to me. It's really only Chicago that I am opposed to, but it's not THAT strong opposition. I can see myself in the city, but I'm a bit of an outdoorsy/hiking type, so I think Virginia would fit my lifestyle more. Is there any way I could figure out where the people from W&L are doing biglaw/midlaw? On LST it says that 27% stay in Virginia, 11% go to DC, 10% to NY and 5% to Cali/Delaware. I am certainly open to Virginia/DC/Cali, but NYC/Delaware is a huge no for me. NYC is the last place I want to be. If those 10% going to NY are big law, I would most likely I would have to reconsider.

snowball2

Bronze

Postby snowball2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:58 am

lawlaw1000 wrote:Ok I think I may have been a bit to harsh on Chicago in my OP so let me elaborate a bit more. I did my undergrad in a city about the same size of Urban-Champaign so the undergrad location is not a downside or unreasonable to me. It's really only Chicago that I am opposed to, but it's not THAT strong opposition. I can see myself in the city, but I'm a bit of an outdoorsy/hiking type, so I think Virginia would fit my lifestyle more. Is there any way I could figure out where the people from W&L are doing biglaw/midlaw? On LST it says that 27% stay in Virginia, 11% go to DC, 10% to NY and 5% to Cali/Delaware. I am certainly open to Virginia/DC/Cali, but NYC/Delaware is a huge no for me. NYC is the last place I want to be. If those 10% going to NY are big law, I would most likely I would have to reconsider.

There's a whole lot of appeal to Chicago for outdoorsy/hiking types. Perhaps a bit limited within city limits but you can drive an hour in nearly any direction and find something to do.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:01 am

lawlaw1000 wrote:Ok I think I may have been a bit to harsh on Chicago in my OP so let me elaborate a bit more. I did my undergrad in a city about the same size of Urban-Champaign so the undergrad location is not a downside or unreasonable to me. It's really only Chicago that I am opposed to, but it's not THAT strong opposition. I can see myself in the city, but I'm a bit of an outdoorsy/hiking type, so I think Virginia would fit my lifestyle more. Is there any way I could figure out where the people from W&L are doing biglaw/midlaw? On LST it says that 27% stay in Virginia, 11% go to DC, 10% to NY and 5% to Cali/Delaware. I am certainly open to Virginia/DC/Cali, but NYC/Delaware is a huge no for me. NYC is the last place I want to be. If those 10% going to NY are big law, I would most likely I would have to reconsider.

People from W&L who are going to places like California probably have ties to the area.

But if you want to work biglaw (somehow I missed this in my first read-through), neither of these schools are particularly great options. More importantly, there's no such thing as a big law firm in the middle of a small town. If you want biglaw, you're going to have to resign yourself to living in a major metropolitan area. That doesn't mean you have to prepare to live in NYC, but if even Wilmington or Chicago seem overwhelming to you, you're really limiting your options.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 am

I'd guess a good chunk of people who do big law from W&L do it in NYC. But don't go to that school if your goal is anything other than a modest job in VA.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 pm

snowball2 wrote:

There's a whole lot of appeal to Chicago for outdoorsy/hiking types. Perhaps a bit limited within city limits but you can drive an hour in nearly any direction and find something to do.

Yeah, I go around the Lake or Grant/Lincoln Parks all the time. I do miss being able to hike easily though.

But if you don't want to end up in Chicago I wouldn't go to UIUC. A good chunk end up in StL, but the easiest place to get a gig from UIUC is Chicago.

As BigZuck said you shouldn't go to either of the schools expecting big law and especially if Chicago, Delaware and NYC are out for you.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�