CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
SUPERCHEF

New
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 12:56 am

CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby SUPERCHEF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:42 am

(Would prefer if you didn’t quote, thanks)
As the title states, CCN at +/-50K (bit more at NYU, bit less at Chi, waiting on C) or Mich at 120K/Duke at ~110K?

Goals:
- Top choice would be art. III clerkship -> fedgov/biglaw lit -> maybe eventually AUSA. Would love to do appellate litigation if possible, I know it’s a bit of a pipe dream.
- Also interested in corporate M&A/PE/cap markets biglaw for 2-5 years, depending on debt/insanity, and then try to exit to in-house
- Don't mind too much about location as long as the degree has nat’l recognition (not a problem with these options?). If I ended up doing corporate, however, I think I’d like to practice either in London or SF/SV from what I’ve heard talking to current associates.

Other notes:
- COL will mostly be funded by v generous parents, so I’d just be responsible for debt financing tuition.
- Obviously trying to bump up CCN's offers but am not holding my breath here.
- WL at H, silence from YS (again, not holding my breath lol). If I got into Y or S the decision would be easy.
- Prefer not to retake as my score (172) was right in the middle of my PT averages (170-174). Feels like the risk of getting a lower score is unacceptable.

The thing I'm having trouble deciding between is CCN tier at higher debt or lower t13/14 at lower debt, as I think I have my preferences (fit-wise) within each group.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

shadowfax

Bronze
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:39 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby shadowfax » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 am

Chicago or Michigan. Flip a coin. 70K is just about the right representation of the value difference. And if you get H at cost you will have set up the perfect conundrum. Congrats on these great options.

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby proteinshake » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:51 am

so if you got like 40K at Chi and ~110K at Duke, I'm gonna say Duke. Duke places better than Michigan and I don't think Chicago is worth that much more (i'm gonna guess Chicago is ~80K more when you factor in the higher COL. though I don't know if you care about the COL difference since your parents are covering it).

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:10 pm

clearly Duke, this one isn't even hard. Duke has better weather and better placement than Michigan, and CCN is not worth that much more.

quigleyest

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby quigleyest » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:14 pm

What would people say about cls 60k v. Duke 110k? Lrap play a role in consideration if interest in plaintiffs firm?

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:18 pm

Im not an expert on LRAP, but if you work for a plaintiffs firm, wont you be not eligible for LRAP? If thats the case, then why are you even considering it?

Nebby

Diamond
Posts: 31197
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby Nebby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:21 pm

P side firm doesn't usually count as LRAP eligible. It also isn't PSLF eligible

grades??

Silver
Posts: 985
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby grades?? » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Nebby wrote:P side firm doesn't usually count as LRAP eligible. It also isn't PSLF eligible


Thats what I thought. Given that, another easy Duke decision.

cavalier1138

Platinum
Posts: 5056
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:01 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:33 pm

Nebby wrote:P side firm doesn't usually count as LRAP eligible. It also isn't PSLF eligible


I think there are a handful of plaintiff's firms that are technically PI, but they don't qualify for PSLF. So they might be covered under Columbia's LRAP (the non-PSLF option), but not Duke's.

That said, even if I'm right about that, the goal of working for one of those without some kind of existing tie to the firm would be a bit too hyper-specific, even for top school.

quigleyest

New
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby quigleyest » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:06 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Nebby wrote:P side firm doesn't usually count as LRAP eligible. It also isn't PSLF eligible


I think there are a handful of plaintiff's firms that are technically PI, but they don't qualify for PSLF. So they might be covered under Columbia's LRAP (the non-PSLF option), but not Duke's.

That said, even if I'm right about that, the goal of working for one of those without some kind of existing tie to the firm would be a bit too hyper-specific, even for top school.



Thanks for the replies to the above-question. Sounds like it would be a good idea to go into biglaw litigation first then is what I gather?

User avatar
Tiago Splitter

Diamond
Posts: 17150
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:48 pm

quigleyest wrote:What would people say about cls 60k v. Duke 110k?

For this OP I'd go Duke but CLS is somewhat defensible. For someone who has to shoulder the burden of the full COL difference between the two I'd definitely say Duke.

ithrowds

Bronze
Posts: 116
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: CCN ($) or Mich/Duke ($$$)?

Postby ithrowds » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:19 pm

SUPERCHEF wrote:(Would prefer if you didn’t quote, thanks)
As the title states, CCN at +/-50K (bit more at NYU, bit less at Chi, waiting on C) or Mich at 120K/Duke at ~110K?

Goals:
- Top choice would be art. III clerkship -> fedgov/biglaw lit -> maybe eventually AUSA. Would love to do appellate litigation if possible, I know it’s a bit of a pipe dream.
- Also interested in corporate M&A/PE/cap markets biglaw for 2-5 years, depending on debt/insanity, and then try to exit to in-house
- Don't mind too much about location as long as the degree has nat’l recognition (not a problem with these options?). If I ended up doing corporate, however, I think I’d like to practice either in London or SF/SV from what I’ve heard talking to current associates.

Other notes:
- COL will mostly be funded by v generous parents, so I’d just be responsible for debt financing tuition.
- Obviously trying to bump up CCN's offers but am not holding my breath here.
- WL at H, silence from YS (again, not holding my breath lol). If I got into Y or S the decision would be easy.
- Prefer not to retake as my score (172) was right in the middle of my PT averages (170-174). Feels like the risk of getting a lower score is unacceptable.

The thing I'm having trouble deciding between is CCN tier at higher debt or lower t13/14 at lower debt, as I think I have my preferences (fit-wise) within each group.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!


Duke for sure. Lower COA and similar (if not better - according to c/o 2016 employment stats) chances of attaining your goals...



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests