Harvard Law vs Uchicago Law+MPP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
soupymoose

New

Harvard Law vs Uchicago Law+MPP

Post by soupymoose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:35 am

Hi,

I am trying to decide between Harvard Law and Uchicago ($45,000 total). I am already 1/2 through a masters in Public Policy at UChicago. I'm hoping for advice and perspective on the decision. I've tried to make a list of pros/cons:

Pros:
UChicago: finish MPP/JD, smaller school = more contact with professors/mentors,
Harvard: it's home so I'd be studying while being close to friends&family, more competitive student body so I'd be pushed harder, it has more resources, larger alumni network

Cons:
UChicago: I don't love living in Chicago and 3 more years would be ugh
Harvard: I'd have to abandon my MPP, larger and more competitive student body means I'd have to be more successful to catch a professor's eye

In the end, living in Boston at home means I'd save as much $ as I would taking the UChicago scholarship. So it comes down to which school will set me up better for a clerkships after school, becoming a PI litigator, and eventually a government job in the long term. And that's balanced by the value of being in the perfect place to study for three years (which would be Boston=home). Any advice is immensely appreciated.

nimbus cloud

Silver

Re: Harvard Law vs Uchicago Law+MPP

Post by nimbus cloud » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 am

soupymoose wrote: more competitive student body so I'd be pushed harder, it has more resources, larger alumni network

Harvard: I'd have to abandon my MPP, larger and more competitive student body means I'd have to be more successful to catch a professor's eye
I don't have an answer, but the above should not be a factor in your decision. They are peer schools with similar student body.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:44 am

If you can defer at HLS and finish your MPP first would that be a good option?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:46 pm

nimbus cloud wrote:
soupymoose wrote: more competitive student body so I'd be pushed harder, it has more resources, larger alumni network

I don't have an answer, but the above should not be a factor in your decision. They are peer schools with similar student body.
this. neither school will have a more or less competitive student body. Harvard is larger, which has both advantages and disadvantages. But its not because of the students.

At equal cost, I would say Harvard; I'm not sure why you have to abandon your MPP, couldn't you finish it first and then matriculate to HLS? I'm sure you thought about this before you applied.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:03 pm

I don't understand how someone who actually attend Chicago thinks Harvard is more competitive?

Go to Harvard if you want to live at home and you are so unhappy in Chicago.

Do you need the MPP? Why are you so quick to abandon it halfway through? What was your original plan? What changed?

How much are you going to owe?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:15 pm

Npret wrote:I don't understand how someone who actually attend Chicago thinks Harvard is more competitive?

Do you need the MPP? Why are you so quick to abandon it halfway through? What was your original plan? What changed?

I mean, there are two fairly common definitions of "competitive." "Competitive" in the sense of gunners / sharks who will murder you to help their curve; versus "more competitive" as in qualitatively better. I naturally assumed OP meant the latter?

ashterlily

New

Post by ashterlily » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:21 pm

Harris has traditionally been willing to grant an A.M. in Public Policy to individuals who leave the M.P.P. after the first year once the other graduate degree is conferred. I'd double check with the administration that this is still the case, but it's more than likley still the policy.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:26 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Npret wrote:I don't understand how someone who actually attend Chicago thinks Harvard is more competitive?

I mean, there are two fairly common definitions of "competitive." "Competitive" in the sense of gunners / sharks who will murder you to help their curve; versus "more competitive" as in qualitatively better. I naturally assumed OP meant the latter?
Yes, I get that and I don't understand why he thinks Harvard's students are qualitatively better than Chicago's.

At any rate, he's homesick so I think no chance he stays in Chicago. Plus being from Boston maybe Harvard is a dream school.
Last edited by Npret on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Lol ok

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soupymoose

New

Post by soupymoose » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:

this. neither school will have a more or less competitive student body. Harvard is larger, which has both advantages and disadvantages. But its not because of the students.

At equal cost, I would say Harvard; I'm not sure why you have to abandon your MPP, couldn't you finish it first and then matriculate to HLS? I'm sure you thought about this before you applied.
Thanks for the reply. In regards to "competition" I'm referring to the culture stereotype Harvard has for having competitive students; I always thought that mentality was good preparation for law. If ppl think that's overrated, you'll have given me great advice!

As for deferral, that depends on ability to finance. It's an open possibility that I'll decide on after sorting out the relative comparison of the two schools. Thanks for responding, all.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:11 pm

Negotiate with Chicago. If MPP weren't a factor, I would probably choose H at that price differential.
I'm confused about the MPP. Do you want to finish this? I would if I were you but I'm stubborn about finishing things I started.
If you want an MPP, I would probably try to get a Harvard deferral unless Chicago gave me more money.

One thing to consider is the cost for another year of the MPP. That's extra debt that won't eligible for Harvard's LRAP.
Does UChi offer a joint JD/MPP? If you get on that will the MPP debt qualify for UChi's LRAP? I know Harvard lets the Kennedy school joint JD/MPP students roll all debt onto LIPP (not that that would help you, but maybe Chicago could do the same thing for you). If you got into Stanford (I know you didn't mention this) I'd really, really take another look at them since they are unique in graduate school debt being included in their LRAP.

I could see staying at UChi for consistency and ease's sake where you can finish your MPP as well. Talk to them about their LRAP too. See if it works for you. You're going to have a ton of debt either way.
You'll likely pay more out of pocket costs over 10 years on LIPP, but you'll have the flexibility to take non-legal government jobs and still qualify.

TLDR: I'd try to defer H for a year unless UChi gives you more money.

If you choose to finish the MPP, consider just withdrawing at both schools, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying next year. You'll have a good excuse for why you held off on law school for a year and will be able to all around better your financial situation with a bigger CCN scholly.

Good luck.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:40 pm

soupymoose wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:

Thanks for the reply. In regards to "competition" I'm referring to the culture stereotype Harvard has for having competitive students; I always thought that mentality was good preparation for law.
If ppl think that's overrated, you'll have given me great advice!

As for deferral, that depends on ability to finance. It's an open possibility that I'll decide on after sorting out the relative comparison of the two schools. Thanks for responding, all.
I don't think this is true. A lot of legal work involves collaborating with people in high-stress situations. And the professors and the grading system here mean that you can challenge yourself academically.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:47 pm

landshoes wrote:
soupymoose wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
nimbus cloud wrote:

Thanks for the reply. In regards to "competition" I'm referring to the culture stereotype Harvard has for having competitive students; I always thought that mentality was good preparation for law.
If ppl think that's overrated, you'll have given me great advice!

I don't think this is true. A lot of legal work involves collaborating with people in high-stress situations. And the professors and the grading system here mean that you can challenge yourself academically.
I probably wouldn't abandon your MPP, particularly considering it's from a great school. I agree with the deferral advice above. A deferral for completing an MPP from an elite institution doesn't sound like something H would deny.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Chicago

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Rigo wrote: TLDR: I'd try to defer H for a year unless UChi gives you more money.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”