(removed)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whatevs23456

New

(removed)

Postby whatevs23456 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:08 am

(removed)
Last edited by whatevs23456 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Vanderbilt vs BU

Postby floatie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:25 am

Vandy is worth the extra 30k - better biglaw placement with a national reach.

To answer your questions:
1. Boston is obviously more expensive - if you've got roommates, expect rent to be at least $1000 per month. BU allots maybe $1700 per month for all living expenses (including rent) which doesn't leave much for food or incidentals. Good thing is you won't need a car in Boston, but you probably will in Nashville.
2. Decent chance from Vandy (maybe top half of the class) vs top third at BU. BU could have the advantage when it comes to Boston markets, but other than that Vandy would probably edge them out.

Sombra2017

New

Postby Sombra2017 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:11 am

I think that's a pretty good deal for Vandy. Car is not needed if you are close to campus. That's a pretty good deal for Vandy if you ask me. You'll probably makeup the difference with COL. Last year the school's BL/FC's number was close to 50%. There are plenty of people hitting the DC/NY market here. And most importantly, Vandy is a great school all around. As a 1L, I can attest to that. I hope you get a chance to visit the school. Feel free to post or pm me any other Qs you might have.

Cheers,

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:44 am

Quick questions: how will you be financing the difference in COA for the schools? Where do you have ties to?

I think you could probably negotiate with the two schools to bring up your scholarship at one or both of them. From strict jobs number Vandy has a clear advantage, but Tennessee as a legal market isn't gonna give you biglaw so you'll have to go to NYC or where you have ties. (DC is probably a long shot, even t14 kids struggle for DC)

tuesdayninja

Bronze

Postby tuesdayninja » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:44 am

In a similar decision as OP, 15k difference in favor of BU over Vandy. Wanting Boston biglaw (with no ties), is BU the correct choice? Or are Vandy's numbers worth 15k?

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

tuesdayninja wrote:In a similar decision as OP, 15k difference in favor of BU over Vandy. Wanting Boston biglaw (with no ties), is BU the correct choice? Or are Vandy's numbers worth 15k?

If you want Boston biglaw (and have no ties) Vandy will not get you there, no matter how hard you try. Boston firms are just now starting to accept law students who had no ties to Boston prior to law school. OP's situation is different based on where he wants to work. But for you Ninja, Vandy doesn't make any sense.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�