NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where am I going?

NU - 225k
42%
Wustl - 100k
35%
UT - 145k
23%

Total votes: 48

thatlawlkid

Gold

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:09 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.

If NU tells you that they can't provide you any more funding when you share with them your UT offer, I'd go back at them saying, I'll deposit right now Xk more per year. If you are really just trying to get that 15-20k to tip the scales from them all being equally tempting.

This same argument could be made for UT over NU i guess as well.

Has anyone ever actually had success with this level of directness?

every bit of negotiation advice I've ever seen said this doesn't play.

Crap, that's what I wrote in my reconsideratikn form....

I would entertain saying it if the reconsideration is rejected.... but that's really more of a last ditch effort anyway I assume.

dm1683

Silver

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby dm1683 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Go to UT, find a bf/gf in Austin, "I love him/her I want to stay here and raise a family" = boom, Texas ties.

It's Texas they love family values there I hear.

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:21 am

dm1683 wrote:Go to UT, find a bf/gf in Austin, "I love him/her I want to stay here and raise a family" = boom, Texas ties.

It's Texas they love family values there I hear.

Well yeah, I'd hope that happens regardless

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: wustl biglaw chances. At median, it is possible to get biglaw, but you won't get it through OCI. You will have to mass mail and hustle. If you're noticeably below median, your biglaw chances are effectively 0 (I personally don't know anybody below median who has biglaw).

At Northwestern, median people still get biglaw through OCI, and below median people also get biglaw with a little hustle. Since median is the "expected outcome" wherever you go, keep that in mind.

Also, your LSAT score won't mean anything. I know of 5 people who have 170+ and their grades. 1 is top 5%. The other is top 10%. Another two are median, and one is below median. Don't assume you can beat the curve at WUSTL just because you got into better schools. The one below median could've taken UVA at sticker.

Another point of consideration is that it's certainly possible and relatively easy to transfer from WUSTL to lower T-14(13?) with slightly above median grades.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:34 pm

I think WashU is the pretty easy call here for generic biglaw.

Easterbork

Bronze

Postby Easterbork » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:I think WashU is the pretty easy call here for generic biglaw.

Disagree, id go Northwestern for pretzels logic above. Just way safer. Big difference in costs for sure, so it depends just how sold you are on big law.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Postby goldenbear2020 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Easterbork wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:I think WashU is the pretty easy call here for generic biglaw.

Disagree, id go Northwestern for pretzels logic above. Just way safer. Big difference in costs for sure, so it depends just how sold you are on big law.

+1. NU is the easy call here if the goal is biglaw (70-75% chances). UT (w/o TX ties) and WashU probably give a 1/3 chance at biglaw.

Moneytrees

Silver

Postby Moneytrees » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Easterbork wrote:

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:37 am

If you're dead set on biglaw you should go to NU. You have just a 50/50 chance of biglaw at UT and WUSTL.

Keep in mind that $220k COA means you're paying back something like $325k on the 10 year repayment plan.

I don't see any reason for you to go to UT. WUSTL has better biglaw+clerk numbers after the 2016 figures came out and offered you more money.

But if you go to Texas, do know it's "y'all". :P

thatlawlkid

Gold

Postby thatlawlkid » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

negotiations are in progress, will post updated COA as they move forward.

Thanks for everyone that responded

Return to “Choosing a Law School�