NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where am I going?

NU - 225k
20
42%
Wustl - 100k
17
35%
UT - 145k
11
23%
 
Total votes: 48

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:08 am

Hey ya'll feel free to hit me with all that awesome TLS knowledge, and i'll be sure to reply as unhelpfully and trollishly as possible :wink: but really, thanks in advance.

Numbers: 170/3.21 (Took the LSAT 4 times)

Schools and rough COA - Will be financed primarily with loans, I don't come from much money and will likely only have about 10k saved before school
UVA: 290k - no $ - so rude
Northwestern: 220k - 20k/year scholly - will be submitting negotiation email once i hear back from UT
UT: 145k - 15k/year plus in state - submitted renegotiation form - may end up depositing to buy time
WUSTL: 100k - 48k/year scholly - asked for more but was told "no funds available at this time" - have not sent them NU's offer yet

Career goals are general 0l biglaw. From the northeast/philly, so standard ties but willing to live pretty much anywhere. Quite certain that I would love Texas, but no ties so an obvious concern.

Gimme some of that fancy book learning!
Last edited by thatlawlkid on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 am

I would probably say Northwestern as of now, but you'd want to see if you can get that COA down under $200k before signing on. That's a lot of debt.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:20 am

jbagelboy wrote:I would probably say Northwestern as of now, but you'd want to see if you can get that COA down under $200k before signing on. That's a lot of debt.

Yeah that's the conclusion that I'm coming to. hopefully i can get a little more splitter love out of them

Rigo

Diamond
Posts: 16640
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

I'd get rid of UVA.
Buy time at UT (since deposit dealine is tomorrow)
But aggressively negotiate with NU, UT, and WUSTL.

You're in a weird spot money wise where a little bit more from any school without movement from the others would tip the scales in their favor imo. So if UT bumps up offer, I'd pick UT over WUSTL. If NU bumps up offer $10k/yr more I'd probably pick them over UT.

So I don't really have an answer for you other than to buy more time, be persistent, and see what happens.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:15 am

Rigo wrote:I'd get rid of UVA.
Buy time at UT (since deposit dealine is tomorrow)
But aggressively negotiate with NU, UT, and WUSTL.

You're in a weird spot money wise where a little bit more from any school without movement from the others would tip the scales in their favor imo. So if UT bumps up offer, I'd pick UT over WUSTL. If NU bumps up offer $10k/yr more I'd probably pick them over UT.

So I don't really have an answer for you other than to buy more time, be persistent, and see what happens.

The UVA was more of a humblebrag/secretly hoping TLS would tell me to go there and override my debt concerns with promises of beer and clerkships.

But yeah it is all so close that it's a hard pick. Thanks Rigo

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:18 pm

I don't know that Northwestern is worth 75K more than UT or 120K (!) more than WUSTL

Agree about keep negotiating but gun to my head I guess I'd go WUSTL?

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:30 pm

BigZuck wrote:I don't know that Northwestern is worth 75K more than UT or 120K (!) more than WUSTL

Agree about keep negotiating but gun to my head I guess I'd go WUSTL?

Wow, I'm stunned i didn't get a "hook'em" reply from you. Thanks for the response! I guess one of the biggest factors I'm looking at is weighing debt vs. employment security which is whats giving me the hold up. That and I'm not convinced of wustl's new 46% big law numbers

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Dude, this is probably the most interesting case I've seen in a while on here. I think every option other than UVA is defensible on some level for different reasons.

If someone is NYC or Chicago Biglaw or bust, I'd probably cringe and pull the trigger on Northwestern (even though that COA would give me a lot of pause). I'd keep negotiating because even a slight improvement in COA would make this a much more attractive option.

WUSTL is defensible because it's the cheapest option, but it also has the worst biglaw numbers.

UT gets "middled" here...it's neither the cheapest nor the most likely to get you biglaw in the northeast. Or, other people might say it's a solid compromise with a little good from both. I think that's a valid perspective too.

Ultimately...force me to pick, and I'd probably go UT. Yea it's not the best of either world but that compromise choice actually appeals to me. Texas is like California. It's big and has a lot of diversity when it comes to lifestyle environments that might appeal to you. You'd have a solid chance at biglaw without a monstrous debt load. Do a decade or two in a new place, get some experience and who knows--I could see you being able to move back to the northeast with experience.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

runinthefront

Gold
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby runinthefront » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:53 pm

I'd go UT here and hope for the best, absent like 30k more from NU.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:21 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Dude, this is probably the most interesting case I've seen in a while on here. I think every option other than UVA is defensible on some level for different reasons.

If someone is NYC or Chicago Biglaw or bust, I'd probably cringe and pull the trigger on Northwestern (even though that COA would give me a lot of pause). I'd keep negotiating because even a slight improvement in COA would make this a much more attractive option.

WUSTL is defensible because it's the cheapest option, but it also has the worst biglaw numbers.

UT gets "middled" here...it's neither the cheapest nor the most likely to get you biglaw in the northeast. Or, other people might say it's a solid compromise with a little good from both. I think that's a valid perspective too.

Ultimately...force me to pick, and I'd probably go UT. Yea it's not the best of either world but that compromise choice actually appeals to me. Texas is like California. It's big and has a lot of diversity when it comes to lifestyle environments that might appeal to you. You'd have a solid chance at biglaw without a monstrous debt load. Do a decade or two in a new place, get some experience and who knows--I could see you being able to move back to the northeast with experience.

Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:30 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I don't know that Northwestern is worth 75K more than UT or 120K (!) more than WUSTL

Agree about keep negotiating but gun to my head I guess I'd go WUSTL?

Wow, I'm stunned i didn't get a "hook'em" reply from you. Thanks for the response! I guess one of the biggest factors I'm looking at is weighing debt vs. employment security which is whats giving me the hold up. That and I'm not convinced of wustl's new 46% big law numbers

To me WUSTL is the only one close to what I'd personally be willing to spend. This isn't hard and fast necessarily but I wouldn't spend more than about 150K for a T14 or 100K for a UT/WUSTL type school.

I know you're in a tough place as a splitter, that's just IMHO

ponderingmeerkat

Gold
Posts: 1879
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:24 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby ponderingmeerkat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:37 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Dude, this is probably the most interesting case I've seen in a while on here. I think every option other than UVA is defensible on some level for different reasons.

If someone is NYC or Chicago Biglaw or bust, I'd probably cringe and pull the trigger on Northwestern (even though that COA would give me a lot of pause). I'd keep negotiating because even a slight improvement in COA would make this a much more attractive option.

WUSTL is defensible because it's the cheapest option, but it also has the worst biglaw numbers.

UT gets "middled" here...it's neither the cheapest nor the most likely to get you biglaw in the northeast. Or, other people might say it's a solid compromise with a little good from both. I think that's a valid perspective too.

Ultimately...force me to pick, and I'd probably go UT. Yea it's not the best of either world but that compromise choice actually appeals to me. Texas is like California. It's big and has a lot of diversity when it comes to lifestyle environments that might appeal to you. You'd have a solid chance at biglaw without a monstrous debt load. Do a decade or two in a new place, get some experience and who knows--I could see you being able to move back to the northeast with experience.

Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.


Yes, and for this reason:

Sure, there is some percentage chance a Texas employer will not hire you because of your lack of ties. Not sure what that percentage is (and you'd probably get as many guesses on here as posters) but, suffice it to say, it's much less than 100%.

In contrast, if you go to Northwestern, there's a 100% chance you'll accrue $75K more in debt.

So, what you have to decide is this: Is the marginal likelihood of getting to your biglaw goal worth that 100% chance of spending an extra 75K?

Based on 2015 numbers, NU has ~70% BL/FC numbers to Texas' ~40%. I'll leave it to you to gonkulate those valuations. But, even if ties move the needle at the margins, I'd struggle to suggest NU right now.

But, like I said in my first post, this is an interesting case because the choices are close. If you posted a poll, I bet you'd get somewhere near 33/33/33 percent for each option. It's not clear cut, and I can understand the arguments others are making.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Poll added!

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby RParadela » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:58 pm

Is cost of living at NW that expensive? With a 60k scholarship, you're thinking you're gonna drop 33k a year on living expenses?

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:02 pm

RParadela wrote:Is cost of living at NW that expensive? With a 60k scholarship, you're thinking you're gonna drop 33k a year on living expenses?

I was ballparking it using LST reports. I assume origination fees and interest while in school bump it up. Living would likely be about 25k?

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

In a vacuum with no renegotiations, I'm hopping on the WUSTL train. That's the only level of debt I'd personally be comfortable with. You'll unfortunately never be in a position to snag big scholarships at T13. If NU budges, they come into play, but I'd still personally pick WUSTL since I'm almost a pathological debt-avoider.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:06 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
RParadela wrote:Is cost of living at NW that expensive? With a 60k scholarship, you're thinking you're gonna drop 33k a year on living expenses?

I was ballparking it using LST reports. I assume origination fees and interest while in school bump it up. Living would likely be about 25k?

Loan origination fees and interest are no joke, I think it's definitely smart to overestimate rather than underestimate. My back of the envelope "Oh it'll probably be about 60K debt" was almost pushing 100K by the time I started working.

Eta: #hookem
Last edited by BigZuck on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond
Posts: 11730
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:In a vacuum with no renegotiations, I'm hopping on the WUSTL train. That's the only level of debt I'd personally be comfortable with. You'll unfortunately never be in a position to snag big scholarships at T13. If NU budges, they come into play, but I'd still personally pick WUSTL since I'm almost a pathological debt-avoider.

I'm the Conductor but happy to name you Assistant to the Conductor if you'd like.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:In a vacuum with no renegotiations, I'm hopping on the WUSTL train. That's the only level of debt I'd personally be comfortable with. You'll unfortunately never be in a position to snag big scholarships at T13. If NU budges, they come into play, but I'd still personally pick WUSTL since I'm almost a pathological debt-avoider.

Yeah, I completely understand that. I am debt adverse, but I feel like I'm even more adverse to going through all of this without a solid chance of good employment, which is why NU's employment numbers are pulling me in.

User avatar
UVA2B

Gold
Posts: 3463
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 10:48 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby UVA2B » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
UVA2B wrote:In a vacuum with no renegotiations, I'm hopping on the WUSTL train. That's the only level of debt I'd personally be comfortable with. You'll unfortunately never be in a position to snag big scholarships at T13. If NU budges, they come into play, but I'd still personally pick WUSTL since I'm almost a pathological debt-avoider.

I'm the Conductor but happy to name you Assistant to the Conductor if you'd like.


I'll get my conductor's hat. We can change the world! (or at least the distorted little world of TLS where debt is less important than prestige among the portion of the population that has never taken on debt before)

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting (poll)

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Wow, I am in the exact same situation

saf18hornet

Bronze
Posts: 314
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:21 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby saf18hornet » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:42 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.


If NU tells you that they can't provide you any more funding when you share with them your UT offer, I'd go back at them saying, I'll deposit right now Xk more per year. If you are really just trying to get that 15-20k to tip the scales from them all being equally tempting.

This same argument could be made for UT over NU i guess as well.

User avatar
thatlawlkid

Gold
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby thatlawlkid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:45 pm

saf18hornet wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.


If NU tells you that they can't provide you any more funding when you share with them your UT offer, I'd go back at them saying, I'll deposit right now Xk more per year. If you are really just trying to get that 15-20k to tip the scales from them all being equally tempting.

This same argument could be made for UT over NU i guess as well.

Has anyone ever actually had success with this level of directness?

User avatar
guynourmin

Gold
Posts: 3434
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:42 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby guynourmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:50 pm

thatlawlkid wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.


If NU tells you that they can't provide you any more funding when you share with them your UT offer, I'd go back at them saying, I'll deposit right now Xk more per year. If you are really just trying to get that 15-20k to tip the scales from them all being equally tempting.

This same argument could be made for UT over NU i guess as well.

Has anyone ever actually had success with this level of directness?


every bit of negotiation advice I've ever seen said this doesn't play.

carsondalywashere

Silver
Posts: 605
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Re: NU/UT/UVA/Wustl - keep things interesting

Postby carsondalywashere » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:55 pm

guybourdin wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:
saf18hornet wrote:
thatlawlkid wrote:Is this factoring in the lack of texas ties? I'd say even like 15k more to NU would have me in a second, but they're all so close right now.


If NU tells you that they can't provide you any more funding when you share with them your UT offer, I'd go back at them saying, I'll deposit right now Xk more per year. If you are really just trying to get that 15-20k to tip the scales from them all being equally tempting.

This same argument could be made for UT over NU i guess as well.

Has anyone ever actually had success with this level of directness?


every bit of negotiation advice I've ever seen said this doesn't play.

Crap, that's what I wrote in my reconsideratikn form....



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests