Michigan vs. Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Michigan or Georgetown?

Michigan
87%
Georgetown
13%

Total votes: 15

Wineandfood

New

Michigan vs. Georgetown

Postby Wineandfood » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Thank you!
Last edited by Wineandfood on Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Michigan vs. Georgetown

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:20 pm

If you want biglaw then there's no reason to have LRAP be a consideration.
What are your costs of attendance? I reckon youd be able to save COL money in Ann Arbor over DC. Does that narrow the gap much?

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Postby Iwanttolawschool » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:24 pm

If you can wait a week or two, the new employment statistics will be released very soon. While one year doesn't capture the entire picture, it might help if you're after Biglaw.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Postby Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:30 pm

COL of Ann Arbor has to be exponentially cheaper than DC. Put the extra money you'd be spending on the GULC COL (according to to LST that's roughly 9K a year) towards the loans for for Michigan and that brings UM down to roughly 28K more total than GULC. If your goals are BL or Fed Clerk, UM gives you a 61% chance and GULC gives you a 44% chance.

Is a 17% increase worth 28K plus interest? That's the decision that's left.

ETA: waiting on this year's numbers obviously would change the calculation.

cavalier1138

Platinum

Postby cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:55 am

I'm also confused about why you're looking at LRAP.

If the COL calculations above are correct, then Michigan all the way. If you happen to have acceptances at other lower T13s, maybe try to negotiate scholarships before making a decision.

SUPERCHEF

New

Postby SUPERCHEF » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:28 am

Wineandfood wrote:Hi--I've never posted here before, so I don't know the etiquette, but would appreciate advice as this has become a difficult decision. Let me know if I can provide more information. Michigan has refused to negotiate further and I don't have anything that comes close to competing with Georgetown's offer. My goals: clerking and/or biglaw litigation; however, I'm not really sure and would like the freedom to do whatever I wanted after I graduated. I will be funding living expenses with savings.

School (scholarship):
Michigan (50k)
Georgetown (105k)

The difference is 55k in grants, but I've been using this calculator: https://www.law.georgetown.edu/admissio ... eid=112745

It looks like the difference is something like 90k with interest, and that really puts things into perspective for me. Some of the things I'm grappling with:
- Michigan: has a better LRAP, enjoyed Michigan at Preview despite being a city-lover
- Georgetown: location (I guess? Truthfully, not sure if this really provides any kind of internship/externship advantage that Michigan wouldn't), not a huge fan of the large student body and potentially faculty members who aren't as dedicated

164/3.8x, not URM, and not retaking

My preference is Michigan but my real question is: is Michigan's degree worth that much more than Georgetown's? Thank you for your help!

poll

Wineandfood

New

Postby Wineandfood » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Thanks for the help! I'm considering everything you're all saying. I added a poll.

Rigo

Diamond

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Wineandfood wrote:Thanks for the help! I'm considering everything you're all saying. I added a poll.

Can you add what your actual costs of attendance would be instead of just your scholarships?
Or just confirm that Dr. Nefario's COA difference analysis is correct?

ETA: eh fuck it whatever. I'll believe the $28k cost difference and say Michigan. Thank you others for doing OP's work.

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Rigo wrote:
Wineandfood wrote:Thanks for the help! I'm considering everything you're all saying. I added a poll.

Can you add what your actual costs of attendance would be instead of just your scholarships?
Or just confirm that Dr. Nefario's COA difference analysis is correct?

ETA: eh fuck it whatever. I'll believe the $28k cost difference and say Michigan. Thank you others for doing OP's work.

I'll also vote Mich is the difference is like $30k.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Definitely retake June and see if you can squeeze more money out of them

Return to “Choosing a Law School�