Still can't decide :( Need more help!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chasima

Bronze

Still can't decide :( Need more help!!

Post by chasima » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:25 pm

:!:
Last edited by chasima on Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Re: Still can't decide :( Need more help!!

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:39 pm

Sit out a cycle, apply the day apps are open. You should be getting full rides to the lower t13.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:45 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:Sit out a cycle, apply the day apps are open. You should be getting full rides to the lower t13.
Maybe. OPs GPA is still pretty brutal.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Is there a reason you can't sit out a cycle?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:54 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:Sit out a cycle, apply the day apps are open. You should be getting full rides to the lower t13.
This is the correct answer. You should have a great cycle next year if you apply day 1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Do you have an extenuating circumstance that explains the GPA? A lot of people would kill for that LSAT score. You definitely can get better offers than what you have right now.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:10 pm

grades?? wrote:
Maybe. OPs GPA is still pretty brutal.
Idk, I think an AA URM with a 172 can swing a lot with any GPA. NU ED is probably the best option here.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:14 pm

dbalkaran wrote:Do you have an extenuating circumstance that explains the GPA? A lot of people would kill for that LSAT score. You definitely can get better offers than what you have right now.
Combination of STEM classes and unfortunate financial circumstances (not partying or slacking off, but the opposite, unfortunately). I thought about writing a GPA addendum but didn't want it to seem like I wasn't taking responsibility for it or come across as whiney. But in hindsight I kind of wish I had.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:15 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Is there a reason you can't sit out a cycle?
I can sit out, I just thought my GPA would hinder me from getting money from higher ranked schools to make it worth passing up the options I have now. Also afraid to risk not getting the same options next cycle if that were the case.

But it sounds like you guys think that getting scholarship money from a T13 isn't totally out of the question so I might consider that more seriously

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:26 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
This is the correct answer. You should have a great cycle next year if you apply day 1.
I doubt this completely. OP's GPA is a 2.9: I don't see a single full ride coming even if they retook again and got a 180. Also, schools do not like reapplicants usually. I can see waiting a year just because a bunch rejected without seeing the 172 but I don't think OP should expect big money or t6 acceptances. Low t14 w/little to no money is more likely

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:27 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
I doubt this completely. OP's GPA is a 2.9: I don't see a single full ride coming even if they retook again and got a 180. Also, schools do not like reapplicants usually. I can see waiting a year just because a bunch rejected without seeing the 172 but I don't think OP should expect big money or t6 acceptances. Low t14 w/little to no money is more likely
What? I don't think that's true at all.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Yeah OP don't listen to this bull. You're an AA with a 172. You're the crown jewel. Sit out, get a job, and reapply in August.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:32 pm

chasima wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:Is there a reason you can't sit out a cycle?
I can sit out, I just thought my GPA would hinder me from getting money from higher ranked schools to make it worth passing up the options I have now. Also afraid to risk not getting the same options next cycle if that were the case.

But it sounds like you guys think that getting scholarship money from a T13 isn't totally out of the question so I might consider that more seriously
This is a real potential outcome. As you went up in LSAT it is unlikely but reapplicants are not loved and there are plenty of examples of schools giving reapplicants the exact same treatment (or worse) the year after. I think the reapply groupthink is too strong on these boards often: it is not an easy slam dunk for reapplicants

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:32 pm

Your best option is to reapply then and as early in the cycle as possible. You should get plenty of great offers from the lower T14. Good luck!

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
Yeah OP don't listen to this bull. You're an AA with a 172. You're the crown jewel. Sit out, get a job, and reapply in August.
I skimmed and missed the AA. Nevermind they should reapply.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Hahaha ok good. I know you know your shit so I was a bit surprised by your response.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:

Hahaha ok good. I know you know your shit so I was a bit surprised by your response.

But for real reapplicants are not beloved and I've seen plenty of ppl fair no better when reapplying (as both an instructor and as a reapplicant). This usually isn't the case with a big LSAT bump but I've seen that happen too. Those rules don't apply w/URM candidates tho so OP should reapply especially since so many schools judged them prior to the latest LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you everyone!! I appreciate the advice :)

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

But for real reapplicants are not beloved and I've seen plenty of ppl fair no better when reapplying (as both an instructor and as a reapplicant). This usually isn't the case with a big LSAT bump but I've seen that happen too. Those rules don't apply w/URM candidates tho so OP should reapply especially since so many schools judged them prior to the latest LSAT.
If an applicant submits practically the same application to a school that had already accepted them previously (fearing YP), then sure.

But I can't see why law school wouldn't appreciate someone who spent another year working, improved PS, received updated/better LORs, and did everything else in their power to improve their app the second time. Sure, if you were an auto-reject, then reapplying wouldn't really matter. But if you were a WL the first time, then I can't see why reapplying could help tip the scales to an Acceptance.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:51 pm

OP, I'm assuming the child in your pic is yours. You'd be doing a terrible disservice to her in not reapplying.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:00 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

If an applicant submits practically the same application to a school that had already accepted them previously (fearing YP), then sure.

But I can't see why law school wouldn't appreciate someone who spent another year working, improved PS, received updated/better LORs, and did everything else in their power to improve their app the second time. Sure, if you were an auto-reject, then reapplying wouldn't really matter. But if you were a WL the first time, then I can't see why reapplying could help tip the scales to an Acceptance.
It could but I think these boards sometimes transform that could into the logical equivalent of a would. Maybe yes maybe no. It's not a definite and even as a URM I think the OP should be prepared for few if any big $$ offers w/that GPA (again it could very well happen but no guarantee). I DO think that being AA and having that significant LSAT jump means that reapplying is worth it (would be even if not AA) BUT that the OP shouldn't be seeing green until and unless they get lucky and actually see that green.

PS my gut says a T6 acceptance on reapplication is actually more likely than a big scholly for OP given GPA actually. I smell an LSAT prioritizing school like CLS maybe giving them a chance. But who knows since this is a very not clear cut app

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:04 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

It could but I think these boards sometimes transform that could into the logical equivalent of a would. Maybe yes maybe no. It's not a definite and even as a URM I think the OP should be prepared for few if any big $$ offers w/that GPA (again it could very well happen but no guarantee). I DO think that being AA and having that significant LSAT jump means that reapplying is worth it (would be even if not AA) BUT that the OP shouldn't be seeing green until and unless they get lucky and actually see that green.

PS my gut says a T6 acceptance on reapplication is actually more likely than a big scholly for OP given GPA actually. I smell an LSAT prioritizing school like CLS maybe giving them a chance. But who knows since this is a very not clear cut app
Hahaha well obviously...but I highly doubt anything in law school admissions is definite. Pretty sure retaking after receiving a 152 lsat on the first can lead to a better score, but it's not definite. Yet, most people say it's worth doing.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:08 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:

Hahaha well obviously...but I highly doubt anything in law school admissions is definite. Pretty sure retaking after receiving a 152 lsat on the first can lead to a better score, but it's not definite. Yet, most people say it's worth doing.
lol that's true. I'm also a chronic debbie downer so that should be considered when reading my positions

PS OP we all agree you should reapply

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:11 pm

I'd apply day 1 apps open in the fall. You were judged on your 164 and there's a MASSIVE difference between your two scores.
Splitter cycles are unpredictable but a 172 AA URM will likely get better options.

shehulk16

New

Post by shehulk16 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:13 am

chasima wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:Do you have an extenuating circumstance that explains the GPA? A lot of people would kill for that LSAT score. You definitely can get better offers than what you have right now.
Combination of STEM classes and unfortunate financial circumstances (not partying or slacking off, but the opposite, unfortunately). I thought about writing a GPA addendum but didn't want it to seem like I wasn't taking responsibility for it or come across as whiney. But in hindsight I kind of wish I had.
definitely write a GPA addendum, your split is drastic enough to warrant or justify an explanation

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”