WUSTL (full ride) vs GTOWN ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dala77

New

WUSTL (full ride) vs GTOWN ($$)

Postby dala77 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:50 pm

WUSTL (full ride) vs GTOWN (105K)

I'm an international student and I aim to find a big law position after graduation in the US or in Hong Kong. I'm nearly making up my mind of going to Gtown. But I know the big law placement rate of Gtown is not optimistic. If I go to WUSTL, although I probably will not get a big law position after graduation, I don't have to be in debt and can find some other jobs in Hong Kong or China. On the other hand, Gtown is more prestigious in HK and China. I would like to ask for some advice. Thanks!!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: WUSTL (full ride) vs GTOWN ($$)

Postby UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:53 pm

How are you funding the difference in COA?

dala77

New

Postby dala77 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 pm

UVA2B wrote:How are you funding the difference in COA?

I myself have some savings and my parents are willing to help me. I feel quite uncomfortable to spend all my parents' savings to fund this risky "investment". I just have to evaluate whether Gtown is worth of it.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:52 pm

both are t20 schools that place well in their regions

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:00 pm

The placement power between the two schools is supposedly closer than you'd think (rumors swirling about WUSTL BL+Fed. Clerkship being as high as 46% for the most recent class, which is a big leap and could place GULC in a different tier if they didn't have a substantially similar jump because the market is just improving for all schools. I'm skeptical on all of this so far, but you never know).

Anyway, because you're comfortable returning to HK following graduation, I'd take on less debt (and decimating you or your parent's savings is essentially similar to taking on really low interest debt in real dollars) and go to WUSTL. I'd wait on employment stats to see how this year shakes out given those rumors, and if true, absolutely take WUSTL. GULC is not worth $50k more than WUSTL. It just isn't.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�