UCLA with 50% scholly - defensible?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snowball17

New

UCLA with 50% scholly - defensible?

Postby snowball17 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:20 pm

***Please do not quote***
After some grueling negotiation, I've narrowed down my options to UCLA and Texas. Roughly 50% scholly from both schools, similar COA as well.
When factoring in savings and family contribution, I would need to take out $60K-$80K in loans, depending on how frugal I want to live and how much health insurance premiums go up :lol:

Geographically, I definitely prefer CA. However, my current company is head-quartered in Austin, so if I go to Texas, I would have the opportunity to intern at my company's legal department and possibly secure an in-house position upon graduation.

At this point, I'm willing to pass up the in-house opportunity and go with UCLA due to my strong preference for CA. If I don't end up with big law, would I still be able to secure some type of position that would allow me to pay off my loans? Open to any comments or advice!

168/3.3
***Please do not quote***

lawlorbust

Bronze

Re: UCLA with 50% scholly - defensible?

Postby lawlorbust » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:32 pm

It's pretty rare to go from UCLA/UT-ish school straight into an inhouse position. How badly do you want to do that?

snowball17

New

Re: UCLA with 50% scholly - defensible?

Postby snowball17 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:37 pm

lawlorbust wrote:It's pretty rare to go from UCLA/UT-ish school straight into an inhouse position. How badly do you want to do that?

I completely agree, the in-house position is only a possibility if I go to Texas and come back to my current company. Definitely not expecting a position like that from any other company.

Return to “Choosing a Law School�