Georgetown w/ $150k or reapply? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Georgetown w/ $150k or reapply?

Post by AllHailKingMao » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 pm

Last edited by AllHailKingMao on Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Re: Georgetown w/ $150k or reapply?

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:29 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:Hey everyone! I find myself in the weird and wonderful situation of having a fantastic offer from Gtown. Some things to consider are:
-I've severely underperformed on the LSAT (high 160s), scored 5 points below average the first time and 3 points below the second time. I can't guarantee that it won't happen if I go for a third retake, but I do believe that I can score in the 171-173 range eventually, even if it takes another two years.
-I've been WL at Harvard and all of the T8-13s, and don't plan on riding out the WL exc for H. Haven't received news from NYU/Columbia but will most likely be WL or reject. In at Cal but don't expect much $$ considering they haven't notified me yet
-I would probably spend the year/s off working (don't expect to be making more than 50k) and studying for the LSAT
-Partner lives in NY and would not be able to move to DC with me, and thinks I should take Gtown's offer
-I would love a biglaw job but knowing myself, I would probably end up in PI because I'm a mushy do-gooder
I'd appreciate all feedback! Thank you all in advance :)
The bolded is the tipping factor for me. Is this a partner you want to spend the rest of your life with? If so, I'd retake and try to get money at NYU or Columbia. If not, then 150k at Gtown is a fine option and I think you should go.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm

Law school isn't going anywhere. If you have a job lined up and can study for and retake the LSAT, you're looking at better options. Your SO probably wants you to feel good about the opportunity you have, which is what any supportive person in your life will likely do, but the cold, hard truth is you have better options available if you wait and retake. Assuming the amount in the title is the scholarship, it's not an objectively bad discount, but if you think you'd like to do Biglaw, you're better off finding a school that will give you >50% of getting that, which means the T13.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:07 pm

UVA2B wrote:Law school isn't going anywhere. If you have a job lined up and can study for and retake the LSAT, you're looking at better options. Your SO probably wants you to feel good about the opportunity you have, which is what any supportive person in your life will likely do, but the cold, hard truth is you have better options available if you wait and retake. Assuming the amount in the title is the scholarship, it's not an objectively bad discount, but if you think you'd like to do Biglaw, you're better off finding a school that will give you >50% of getting that, which means the T13.
Thank you! Yep, he is being very supportive and is going for the "bird in the hand > bird in the bush" approach, and doesn't want me to risk the chance of not getting a higher LSAT the third time. Is Gtown really that bad at BigLaw? That actually sounds kind of crazy.

Cogburn1984

New

Post by Cogburn1984 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:57 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Law school isn't going anywhere. If you have a job lined up and can study for and retake the LSAT, you're looking at better options. Your SO probably wants you to feel good about the opportunity you have, which is what any supportive person in your life will likely do, but the cold, hard truth is you have better options available if you wait and retake. Assuming the amount in the title is the scholarship, it's not an objectively bad discount, but if you think you'd like to do Biglaw, you're better off finding a school that will give you >50% of getting that, which means the T13.
Thank you! Yep, he is being very supportive and is going for the "bird in the hand > bird in the bush" approach, and doesn't want me to risk the chance of not getting a higher LSAT the third time. Is Gtown really that bad at BigLaw? That actually sounds kind of crazy.
It depends on what you mean by "bad"

They're a huge step down from the schools immediately ranked above them. https://www.lstreports.com/schools/gulc/

School: (biglaw* + fed clerk)/total; class size Class of 2015:

UChi: 83%
Columbia: 79%
Stanford: 78%
Penn: 77%
Duke: 75%
Yale: 72%
Harvard: 71%
UVA: 70%
NU: 69%
NYU: 67%
Cornell: 67%
Michigan: 61%
UC Berk: 56%
Vandy: 47%
UCLA: 45%
GULC: 44%

Credit Nebby

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”