Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grades??

Silver

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:45 pm

registering wrote:
Nebby wrote:Anyone feeling charitable can post the stats I'm missing in the format I established :D

NYU: 74.4% [67.0%] (+7.4%)

Michigan: 66.4% [61.0%] (+5.4%)

Berkeley: 61.5% [56.4%]
(+5.1%)

Vanderbilt: 56.6% [47%] (+9.6%)

GULC: 51.5% [44%] (+7.5%)

Texas 45% [42%] (+3%)

Thanks for listing the t20 schools

carsondalywashere

Silver

Postby carsondalywashere » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 am

cannibal ox wrote:(wants to work in Texas)
(UT stats haven't even been released)
(asks if Vandy is a better choice)

Man, this thread is savage.

Best comment in this thread

registering

New

Postby registering » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 am

carsondalywashere wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:(wants to work in Texas)
(UT stats haven't even been released)
(asks if Vandy is a better choice)

Man, this thread is savage.

Best comment in this thread

Wasn't wrong in the end though :lol:

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:30 am

Hey, can we talk about something important here?

In a year where big-law-also-rans like Michigan, Boalttt, and even GULC are seeing substantial rises in the key biglaw + fed clerk metric, we see certain "top" schools stagnating or declining:

Chicago: 78.1% [82.7%] (-4.6%)
Penn: 77.1% [76.8%] (+0.3)
Stanford: 74.8% [77.9%] (-3.1%)
Yale: 72.9% [72.3%] (+0.6)
Northwestern: 68.7% [69.4%] (-0.7%)

LOL @ Chicago. It finally passes CLS in the USNWR rankings only to fall well behind in prestigious employment. Sad.

LOL @ Penn. Is Penn even distinguishable from Cornell anymore? Congrats, Cornell: you're no longer in sole possession of last place among Ivy League law schools; you're now tied with Penn!

LOL @ Stanford. Hey, Stanford: before you try to rationalize this decline by reference to a slow down in law-firm hiring in SF/SV, note that your neighbor in the East Bay saw a 5% increase. It looks like Stanford is losing associate and clerk hiring faceoffs to Boalttt now. Pathetic.

LOL @ Yale. It seems like Yale has....uh...never mind—there probably is a good explanation for Yale. Sorry to disrespect.

LOL @ Northwestern. NU's motto this year is: "Hey, at least we're not declining as fast as U of Chicago." Why they ever let this business school with a law program into the T14 is a mystery to me.

I fully expect the relative decline of the above schools (except Yale) to continue next year. By 2019, the effects will likely filter into the USNWR rankings. We live in interesting times.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:35 am

rpupkin wrote:Hey, can we talk about something important here?

In a year where big-law-also-rans like Michigan, Boalttt, and even GULC are seeing substantial rises in the key biglaw + fed clerk metric, we see certain "top" schools stagnating or declining:

LOL @ Chicago. It finally passes CLS in the USNWR rankings only to fall well behind in prestigious employment. Sad.

LOL @ Penn. Is Penn even distinguishable from Cornell anymore? Congrats, Cornell: you're no longer in sole possession of last place among Ivy League law schools; you're now tied with Penn!

LOL @ Stanford. Hey, Stanford: before you try to rationalize this decline by reference to a slow down in law-firm hiring in SF/SV, note that your neighbor in the East Bay saw a 5% increase. It looks like Stanford is losing associate and clerk hiring faceoffs to Boalttt now. Pathetic.

LOL @ Yale. It seems like Yale has....uh...never mind—there probably is a good explanation for Yale. Sorry to disrespect.

LOL @ Northwestern. NU's motto this year is: "Hey, at least we're not declining as fast as U of Chicago." Why they ever let this business school with a law program into the T14 is a mystery to me.

I fully expect the relative decline of the above schools (except Yale) to continue next year. By 2019, the effects will likely filter into the USNWR rankings. We live in interesting times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

curry1

Silver

Postby curry1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:46 am

rpupkin wrote:Hey, can we talk about something important here?

:lol: you are easily the best poster on this site, although your unkind remarks about Chicago (T4) hurt a little.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 am

rpupkin wrote:LOL @ Yale. It seems like Yale has....uh...never mind—there probably is a good explanation for Yale. Sorry to disrespect.

Yale is the partner telling you they'd be ok with it but disappointed if you took vacation. Don't let Yale win.

do_me_a_favor

New

Postby do_me_a_favor » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:11 am

Blackfish wrote:Georgetown still has the highest employment number for Law Centers.

this is the actual best reply in this thread.

also, the disparity between UT and Vandy is greater than that of Vandy and Michigan :lol: :lol: :lol:

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Postby RedPurpleBlue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:19 am

TLS has perhaps the best shit posters on the internet. How you all find it so enjoyable is beyond me but to each their own.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 am

do_me_a_favor wrote:
Blackfish wrote:Georgetown still has the highest employment number for Law Centers.

this is the actual best reply in this thread.

+1

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:00 am

What are the odds that Duke (77.7%) and UVA (76.9%) pass NYU (74.5%) in the rankings in the next few years?

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:05 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:What are the odds that Duke (77.7%) and UVA (76.9%) pass NYU (74.5%) in the rankings in the next few years?

The explicit goal of the Duke law dean has been to knock off NYU at #5. Whether it happens or not because of the ranking metrics, who knows. But the law school believes it can.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:11 am

A friend of mine who went to Duke told me when she was interviewing for a competitive post grad job in NY the lawyer said: "Duke has a law school?"

That's why it won't knock off NYU.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 am

grades?? wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:What are the odds that Duke (77.7%) and UVA (76.9%) pass NYU (74.5%) in the rankings in the next few years?

The explicit goal of the Duke law dean has been to knock off NYU at #5. Whether it happens or not because of the ranking metrics, who knows. But the law school believes it can.

NYU is #6 not #5. Don't disrespect Columbia

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:26 am

Nebby wrote:A friend of mine who went to Duke told me when she was interviewing for a competitive post grad job in NY the lawyer said: "Duke has a law school?"

Was this in PI? based on your word choice I'm assuming so. I'm not really sure one person in PI (sounds like not a firm) forgetting about them is why they can never jump NYU

Would be cool if we could see an empirical study of how the degrees are viewed by employers. Maybe some percentage indicating how well all students did when trying to get competitive post grad positions or something like that....

Toni V

Bronze

Postby Toni V » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:46 am

IVY League LST breakout
………………..Employ% • Big Law%

UPENN 89.8 • 66.3
CORNELL 89.6 • 62.8
COLUMBIA 87.2 • 73.6
HARVARD 85.7 • 51.8
YALE 81.2 • 38.5

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 am

Toni V wrote:IVY League LST breakout
………………..Employ% • Big Law%

UPENN 89.8 • 66.3
CORNELL 89.6 • 62.8
COLUMBIA 87.2 • 73.6
HARVARD 85.7 • 51.8
YALE 81.2 • 38.5

Where's Princeton Law bruh

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:54 am

I was at a birthday last weekend and was telling a friend about the administration problems I've had with Columbia Law. This girl butts in and says "Well it makes sense since Columbia is on the lower end of the Ivys... Now if it was Cornell it would be a different story"

???????????????????????????

guynourmin

Gold

Postby guynourmin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:59 am

Thelaw23 wrote:I was at a birthday last weekend and was telling a friend about the administration problems I've had with Columbia Law. This girl butts in and says "Well it makes sense since Columbia is on the lower end of the Ivys... Now if it was Cornell it would be a different story"

If there had to be a lower end of the whole league, 8 schools, hyp obviously upper end. I think an argument could be made that Columbia is lower end lay ivy, right? It's not clearly #4 is it?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:04 am

guybourdin wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:I was at a birthday last weekend and was telling a friend about the administration problems I've had with Columbia Law. This girl butts in and says "Well it makes sense since Columbia is on the lower end of the Ivys... Now if it was Cornell it would be a different story"

If there had to be a lower end of the whole league, 8 schools, hyp obviously upper end. I think an argument could be made that Columbia is lower end lay ivy, right? It's not clearly #4 is it?

Penn could make an argument, but not a very good one.

Thelaw23

Silver

Postby Thelaw23 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 am

guybourdin wrote:

I mean I've always considered Columbia above Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown, and UPenn. The undergrad acceptance % also shows that.

I don't think most people even know the difference between Penn State and UPenn.

Cornell suffers because it's the newest Ivy in the lot.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:15 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
Nebby wrote:A friend of mine who went to Duke told me when she was interviewing for a competitive post grad job in NY the lawyer said: "Duke has a law school?"

Was this in PI? based on your word choice I'm assuming so. I'm not really sure one person in PI (sounds like not a firm) forgetting about them is why they can never jump NYU

Would be cool if we could see an empirical study of how the degrees are viewed by employers. Maybe some percentage indicating how well all students did when trying to get competitive post grad positions or something like that....

I don't think you understood the point of my post. My point was that Duke has less name recognition in the legal community at large, and name recognition is one of the primary factors in the USNWR.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:17 am

Nebby wrote:
Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:

I don't think you understood the point of my post. My point was that Duke has less name recognition in the legal community at large, and name recognition is one of the primary factors in the USNWR.

How many presidents has Columbia law graduated? Oh and hows your clerkship numbers?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Postby Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:17 am

...I mean she's not wrong...out of the ivies with law schools, YLS, HLS and Cornell are all higher geographically than Columbia. Penn is the lowest.

Lavitz

Gold

Postby Lavitz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:21 am

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:

...I mean she's not wrong...out of the ivies with law schools, YLS, HLS and Cornell are all higher geographically than Columbia. Penn is the lowest.

Also Cornell is like 760 feet above sea level. Columbia? 34. Totally lower end.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?