Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Nebby

Diamond

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:02 am

Jaqen wrote:Chicago left Columbia in the dust in the USNWR rankings and is at the top of the list for employment.

UT displaced the George-whatever Law CenTTTer in USNWR and Vandy's employment stats are probably better than Berzerkeley's.

This Southerner => Chicagoan => Texan is pleased.

You can't be all three of these. Chicago left no one in the dust in USNWR. You're using "employment" in a meaningless sense.

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 am

cron1834 wrote:Duke, UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, NU, and Cornell are all basically peers. There's wiggle room from year to year, and some selection bias reflected in the data, but they're peers. The airports literally don't matter.

Let's focus on how bad GULC is.

Sorry, UVA and Duke have risen above Michigan, Berkley, Cornell and NU. We now have the T9, please adjust your thinking

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:14 am

Johann wrote:But if you want biglaw and aren't comfortable working in NYC, you probably should not go to law school period. B school is what you should do.

I want biglaw and want to work in Dallas/Houston/Orange County. Why is that so bad?

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

Washington and Lee is up 26%

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:18 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
Johann wrote:But if you want biglaw and aren't comfortable working in NYC, you probably should not go to law school period. B school is what you should do.

I want biglaw and want to work in Dallas/Houston/Orange County. Why is that so bad?

I think they're saying that if you must have big law but will not do New York than that's a low percentage outcome. If you don't need a V100 firm and want to work in those areas then I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's still not a given

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 am

RParadela wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Duke, UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, NU, and Cornell are all basically peers.

Sorry, UVA and Duke have risen above Michigan, Berkley, Cornell and NU. We now have the T9, please adjust your thinking

UVA's and Duke's employment numbers are now significantly better than the others (except Cornell).

Even if you just look at biglaw+fed clerkship:

Duke: 77.7%
UVA: 76.9%
Cornell: 74.5%
NU: 68.6%
MI: 66.3%
Berkeley: 56%

New Rankings: Duke/UVA > Cornell >> NU/MI >>> Berkeley

TLS_Dreamer

New

Postby TLS_Dreamer » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:28 am

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

I think they're saying that if you must have big law but will not do New York than that's a low percentage outcome. If you don't need a V100 firm and want to work in those areas then I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but it's still not a given

Ah gotcha, thanks! I think coming out of a T13 you can still practice outside of NYC pretty easily. The great majority in biglaw from UVA/MI/Berkeley don't practice in NYC. I'm sure that's true for many others too.

sluggla

Bronze

Postby sluggla » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:28 am

RParadela wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Duke, UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, NU, and Cornell are all basically peers. There's wiggle room from year to year, and some selection bias reflected in the data, but they're peers. The airports literally don't matter.

RParadela wrote:Michigan scholly is a good negotiation tool. Michigan and UVA are certainly peer schools

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:30 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

Ah gotcha, thanks! I think coming out of a T13 you can still practice outside of NYC pretty easily. The great majority in biglaw from UVA/MI/Berkeley don't practice in NYC. I'm sure that's true for many others too.

NYC has something like 40 percent of sa's. Ignore at your peril.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:33 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

NYC has something like 40 percent of sa's. Ignore at your peril.

Yep. The economy is also REALLY good right now. We still have yet to see the 180k effect on SA hiring. And finally, only 50% of Michigan gets biglaw, so yes while a lot of the school gets biglaw, just as much misses biglaw. So sure, you've got fine chances, but NYC REALLY helps those chances.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:

It's not but you need to throw in NYC bids anyways. The big class, low grade threshold firms
in NYC are all a goldmine for T14 people

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:00 am

star fox wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

It's not but you need to throw in NYC bids anyways. The big class, low grade threshold firms
in NYC are all a goldmine for T14 people

1 summer class for an average NYC firm can easily have as many kids as 3-4 Dallas firm summer classes combined.

There are more SAs in 1 average NYC firm than all of the SAs for all Austin firms combined.

There's a big difference when your summer NYC class has 35 people and your Dallas class only has 4-5.

Kids get those firms all the time, you just need to be in the right schools with the right grades. It's harder then NYC.

Really stupid to not throw at least a few bids to NYC.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am

Wake Forest - 22.7%

RParadela

Silver

Postby RParadela » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:02 pm

sluggla wrote:
RParadela wrote:

RParadela wrote:Michigan scholly is a good negotiation tool. Michigan and UVA are certainly peer schools

This was before Michigan's subpar status was confirmed. That advice no longer applies, sorry

Monday

Silver

Postby Monday » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm

I'm not saying that it's smart to ignore the possibility of NYC but come on. Of course it will have the most SA's and the most jobs, it has the most everything. I don't understand why but it is one of the most sought after cities in the world.

I'm an accountant, big 4 NYC DOMINATES the job market. That doesn't mean that all those people want to be somewhere else or that a person faces significantly more difficulty at another office all things being equal
Last edited by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amta

Platinum

Postby amta » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Washington and Lee is up 26%

its up 26% or up to 26%?

Pomeranian

Bronze

Postby Pomeranian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:26 pm

amta wrote:
Pomeranian wrote:Washington and Lee is up 26%

its up 26% or up to 26%?

Total. Rounded up.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Postby PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:34 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Berkeley: 56%

Wait, what? When?

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Postby Pure Applesauce » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:45 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:Berkeley: 56%

Wait, what? When?

think this was c/o 2015

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:13 pm

RParadela wrote:
sluggla wrote:
RParadela wrote:

This was before Michigan's subpar status was confirmed. That advice no longer applies, sorry

Big Zuck already claimed this schtick, come up with your own thing. And stop misleading 0Ls with your nonsense.

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:I'm not saying that it's smart to ignore the possibility of NYC but come on. Of course it will have the most SA's and the most jobs, it has the most everything. I don't understand why but it is one of the most sought after cities in the world.

I'm an accountant, big 4 NYC DOMINATES the job market. That doesn't mean that all those people want to be somewhere else or that a person faces significantly more difficulty at another office all things being equal

Yea but NY is by far the easiest market to crack from a t14. NY has by far the largest classes, and has many firms that aren't particularly grade selective. This is very, very important if you have average or below grades.

So yes, barring strong ties to a secondary market, you will face more difficulty elsewhere.

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Postby JD_Kingfish » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:20 pm

Does anyone have any insight on what state & local judicial clerks do after their clerkship? Is it generally considered good to land a state clerkship or nah is what I'm wondering. I've noticed some schools have very high state clerkship placement and just wondering how this should be viewed.

mrtux45

Bronze

Postby mrtux45 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what state & local judicial clerks do after their clerkship? Is it generally considered good to land a state clerkship or nah is what I'm wondering. I've noticed some schools have very high state clerkship placement and just wondering how this should be viewed.

From what I understand, clerkship are looked on favorably by law firms of all sizes because you're developing your research/writing skills and familiarizing yourself with how judges and courts operate.

I'd imagine it's also viewed similarly in ada/pd hiring.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

Earlskies

Bronze

Postby Earlskies » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Two questions:

1) Are any of the numbers of value for folks looking to go into PI?
2) Are clerkships valuable for PI-ers?

Return to “Choosing a Law School?