Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29529
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:49 pm

zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810

vcap180
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:48 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby vcap180 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:15 pm

it's hard to say how we should categorize the jd advantage "professional" employment and "pursuing additional degree" designations. i certainly don't think we should broadly assume they are underemployed - in fact, these categories probably include some of the most enviable outcomes.

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810


Nebby can you format the numbers in a way that shows clerk v biglaw? As in

University of Nowhere: 76% [20 + 56]

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:47 pm

vcap180 wrote:it's hard to say how we should categorize the jd advantage "professional" employment and "pursuing additional degree" designations. i certainly don't think we should broadly assume they are underemployed - in fact, these categories probably include some of the most enviable outcomes.


Consultants, bankers, people pursuing their doctorates. This board has a bias for practical, lawyerly Biglaw work.

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 17158
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:02 pm

bitter_melon wrote:
Rigo wrote:The rumor that WUSTL is up to 40+% (I've seen 44% stated) or something is circulating. Apparently they bragged about it at their ASW.


46%

46% of what? Only matters to us if the denominator is the entire graduating class.

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15770
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Rigo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
bitter_melon wrote:
Rigo wrote:The rumor that WUSTL is up to 40+% (I've seen 44% stated) or something is circulating. Apparently they bragged about it at their ASW.

46%

46% of what? Only matters to us if the denominator is the entire graduating class.

Yeah I bet they fudged that.

BigZuck
Posts: 11698
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby BigZuck » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:56 pm

WUSTL gonna WUST haha lulz

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810


Nebby can you format the numbers in a way that shows clerk v biglaw? As in

University of Nowhere: 76% [20 + 56]

User avatar
Nebby
amateur huffpo
Posts: 29529
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Nebby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:47 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810


Nebby can you format the numbers in a way that shows clerk v biglaw? As in

University of Nowhere: 76% [20 + 56]

No I am lazy

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Nebby wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810


Nebby can you format the numbers in a way that shows clerk v biglaw? As in

University of Nowhere: 76% [20 + 56]

No I am lazy


I'll give u 3.50

User avatar
PeanutsNJam
Posts: 4413
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby PeanutsNJam » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 am

Yeah I'm not holding my breath for a 46% showing from WUSTL, though I would be pleasantly surprised. Expecting a typical 35%, maybe up to 40%. It doesn't look like it's 46% so far for my class, but 3L hiring is a thing so idk.

A large portion of the biglaw number is regional midlaw (with over 101 atty) too, which may be better than biglaw to some, but still a distinction worth mentioning.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3379
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:33 am

Penn is up: https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/64 ... yment-data

258 graduates
170 in biglaw = 65.9%
29 federal clerks = 11.2%

Total biglaw + fed clerk = 77.1%

Essentially no change from last year's 77%

BigZuck
Posts: 11698
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:14 pm

Lavitz wrote:Penn is up: https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/64 ... yment-data

258 graduates
170 in biglaw = 65.9%
29 federal clerks = 11.2%

Total biglaw + fed clerk = 77.1%

Essentially no change from last year's 77%

Sad!

User avatar
proteinshake
Posts: 4553
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby proteinshake » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:58 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Lavitz wrote:Penn is up: https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/64 ... yment-data

258 graduates
170 in biglaw = 65.9%
29 federal clerks = 11.2%

Total biglaw + fed clerk = 77.1%

Essentially no change from last year's 77%

Sad!

sinking ship!

Lawschool305
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Lawschool305 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:09 pm

Lavitz wrote:Penn is up: https://www.law.upenn.edu/live/files/64 ... yment-data

258 graduates
170 in biglaw = 65.9%
29 federal clerks = 11.2%

Total biglaw + fed clerk = 77.1%

Essentially no change from last year's 77%


Lavitz get us the scoop on Cornells lol!

grades??
Posts: 984
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby grades?? » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Duke to replace Upenn confirmed. What a joke Upenn is.

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:26 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Nebby wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:
Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nebby, I don't get the lack of love for PS/PI. What's that about?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=262810


Nebby can you format the numbers in a way that shows clerk v biglaw? As in

University of Nowhere: 76% [20 + 56]

No I am lazy


I'll give u 3.50

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby runinthefront » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:31 pm

http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/career ... ummary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)

User avatar
Rigo
Posts: 15770
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:19 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Rigo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:44 pm

Damn Cornell. gj

User avatar
CR7
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:09 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby CR7 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:49 pm

runinthefront wrote:http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/careers/aboutus/upload/2016-ABA-Employment-Summary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)


Curious to see how these numbers compare to Mich. and UVA.

User avatar
OneHandedEconomist
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:29 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby OneHandedEconomist » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:52 pm

Shit... I'm hoping these jumps are signs of a good economy and will apply to the whole t13.

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1769
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby runinthefront » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:53 pm

CR7 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/careers/aboutus/upload/2016-ABA-Employment-Summary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)


Curious to see how these numbers compare to Mich. and UVA.

UVA is not "live" yet, but playing around with the URL got me the link

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/aba/2016employment.pdf

330 graduates
206 in biglaw = 62.4%
48 in clerkships = 14.5%

BL + FC = 76.9% (+6.9% from last year's...although I now realize that last year's thread had #s rounded to the nearest whole number. whatevs)
Last edited by runinthefront on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3379
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Lavitz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:54 pm

runinthefront wrote:http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/careers/aboutus/upload/2016-ABA-Employment-Summary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)

There are definitely 11 federal clerks right now, and I wasn't aware any of them were "short-term." I wonder what's up with that.

Oh well. At least we're not c/o 2015.

BigZuck
Posts: 11698
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby BigZuck » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:03 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runinthefront wrote:http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/careers/aboutus/upload/2016-ABA-Employment-Summary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)

There are definitely 11 federal clerks right now, and I wasn't aware any of them were "short-term." I wonder what's up with that.

Sad!

ggmu1992
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby ggmu1992 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:05 pm

runinthefront wrote:
CR7 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/careers/aboutus/upload/2016-ABA-Employment-Summary.pdf

looks like 74.4% in 101+ firm gigs & fed clerkships combined

184 graduates
127 in biglaw = 69%
10 in clerkships = 5.4%

(+7.8% increase from the 2015 #s)


Curious to see how these numbers compare to Mich. and UVA.

UVA is not "live" yet, but playing around with the URL got me the link

http://www.law.virginia.edu/pdf/aba/2016employment.pdf

330 graduates
206 in biglaw = 62.4%
48 in clerkships = 14.5%

BL + FC = 76.9% (+6.9% from last year's...although I now realize that last year's thread had #s rounded to the nearest whole number. whatevs)


This same "playing" can be done with Harvard to get theirs. I'm at work so not gonna spend the time to do the maths. Just change the 2 years in the URL tho




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Justtrying2help and 3 guests