Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Johann

Diamond

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:14 pm

Lawyers always arguing and ripping apart instead of trying to learn and build an understanding. Throughout all the argument no one has addressed the implied statement that if you really believe those numbers are not self selection/due to different legal market opps, the only way you can explain them is to say that Michigan is regarded as a worse school than Cornell in law firm circles and judges.

If you're prepared to make that argument, go ahead. (But it'd be a dumb argument that V15 partner would quickly dispel). If you aren't, you have to have an explanation.

BoyJord

Bronze

Postby BoyJord » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:17 pm

RParadela wrote:UVA, Duke, and Penn need to be elevated into CCN tier. It's now YSH, CCNDPV and then NCMB.

Sorry but we cannot consider your recommendation since you're enrolling/enrolled at UVA.

poptart123

Silver

Postby poptart123 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:50 pm

bump because i am entertained with this thread

bearsfan23

Gold

Postby bearsfan23 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:57 pm

star fox wrote:
curry1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?

HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN

What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.

I'm just trolling, I really think it's more like Y S HCC. I do think that Chicago offers better access to academia/clerkships that can't be attributed to self-selection.

It's all those damn right wing FedSoc connections (by which I mean Chicago is 10 % right wing instead of 5 %)

Chicago is a lot more than 10% right wing. FedSoc is huge, comparatively, here.

I'd say it's probably closer to 25%, and it probably is a major reason we always outperform Columbia in clerkships (just looking at where the 2016 grads are clerking, it seems like 1/2 of the COA ones are for conservative/conservative leaning judges)

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Johann wrote:Lawyers always arguing and ripping apart instead of trying to learn and build an understanding. Throughout all the argument no one has addressed the implied statement that if you really believe those numbers are not self selection/due to different legal market opps, the only way you can explain them is to say that Michigan is regarded as a worse school than Cornell in law firm circles and judges.

If you're prepared to make that argument, go ahead. (But it'd be a dumb argument that V15 partner would quickly dispel). If you aren't, you have to have an explanation.

Even in NYC, no partners would agree with that argument.

I struggle to understand why it's so hard for some TLSers to grasp this. I turned down multiple V50 NYC offers to do non-NYC biglaw. I also applied to SSC in my home state, but didn't apply for a fed clerkship. It's really not that difficult to process that some people are NYC biglaw at all costs, some are not, and they self-select school choice accordingly (to some degree). The data is obviously going to reflect the distinction. It doesn't mean you can't get some generic NYC vault offer from Michigan. Christ.

The 20-to-1 Michigan-to-Cornell Skadden Fellow ratio is also telling. Hell, even Michigan State, which barely has a law school, produced two more of them than Cornell over the last 5 years. Do people really not see that as telling re: self-selection within the T14?

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Johann wrote:Lawyers always arguing and ripping apart instead of trying to learn and build an understanding. Throughout all the argument no one has addressed the implied statement that if you really believe those numbers are not self selection/due to different legal market opps, the only way you can explain them is to say that Michigan is regarded as a worse school than Cornell in law firm circles and judges.

Could part of it be self-selection out of bidding NYC firms that doesn't account for self-selection out of BigLaw entirely. I agree that it's silly to think hiring committees are looking at Cornell and Michigan differently.

proteinshake

Gold

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:20 pm

maybe it's cause they play with play doh http://abovethelaw.com/2016/11/t14-law- ... ed-pssies/

existentialcrisis

Bronze

Postby existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:23 pm

star fox wrote:

Could part of it be self-selection out of bidding NYC firms that doesn't account for self-selection out of BigLaw entirely. I agree that it's silly to think hiring committees are looking at Cornell and Michigan differently.

Although generally, I'd say the less you bid NYC, the more likely you are to strike out, no? Obviously leaving out people with great grades.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:30 pm

curry1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?

HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN

What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.

I'm just trolling, I really think it's more like Y S HCC. I do think that Chicago offers better access to academia/clerkships that can't be attributed to self-selection.

At times like these, I wish brut were still around.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 pm

star fox wrote:

Absolutely. New York is a humongous legal market. If you self select it of that, you're going to have a tougher go. So yes maybe Michigan has some people work jobs they themselves consider less than desirable but that's not michigans failing so much as the risk you take of opting out of the legal hub that serves the entire globe.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:33 pm

But if you want biglaw and aren't comfortable working in NYC, you probably should not go to law school period. B school is what you should do.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Johann wrote:But if you want biglaw and aren't comfortable working in NYC, you probably should not go to law school period. B school is what you should do.

Yeah, my main source of confusion is what Michigan students are thinking. They presumably want to work biglaw somewhere. Most major legal markets have Michigan-level law schools servicing them, or at least one that's closer than Michigan.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 pm

Johann wrote:But if you want biglaw and aren't comfortable working in NYC, you probably should not go to law school period. B school is what you should do.

I think that's a little overdone. If you are at NU, UC, or Michigan for that matter and want Chicago, you're pretty likely to get it. Is it as easy as NYC no, but still more likely than not.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:43 pm

This is true, and yet everywhere hundreds if not thousands of law students make their bid lists with no NYC or only token ultra-elite NYC firms on there.

Johann

Diamond

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:49 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:

I think that's a little overdone. If you are at NU, UC, or Michigan for that matter and want Chicago, you're pretty likely to get it. Is it as easy as NYC no, but still more likely than not.

It's a tad overdone. But in the event the economy is rescinding or contracting, New York is the hub and will always be the hub. I'm not saying you have to be gung ho about New York but if you absolutely wouldn't step for there for any amount of time, business school will be a FAR better ROI.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:20 pm

cheaptilts wrote:Charlottesville to D.C. Is 2.5 hours; Durham to dc is 4 hours and atlanta is 6. Just a poor argument

C-ville to Dc is 2.5 hours by car, and you have to drive because it's over an hour to any airport.

Rdu to DCA is 45 minutes.....

Of course none of this matters because this is the 21st century and geographic location is hardly a limit to travel. What is and isn't a feeder should not be based on distance

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:Charlottesville to D.C. Is 2.5 hours; Durham to dc is 4 hours and atlanta is 6. Just a poor argument

C-ville to Dc is 2.5 hours by car, and you have to drive because it's over an hour to any airport.

Of course none of this matters because this is the 21st century and geographic location is hardly a limit to travel. What is and isn't a feeder should not be based on distance

Ive done both multiple times. It takes me less time driving from Duke to RDU (10 minutes), park/security/check bag (20 minutes), wait for flight (about 30), fly (45 minutes) to DC, and then grab an uber. All in all about 2ish hours. Charlottesville usually takes 3 hours with normal traffic, but catch bad traffic, and it can be longer. Flying from Durham actually saves time.

A big benefit of Duke versus UVA is Duke is 10 minutes from RDU. Catch a ton of flights to DC, Atlanta, NY, etc. It takes over a hour from UVA to the airport in Richmond.

But agree, it doesn't really matter. Ive never taken an uber from UVA to Richmond airport however, can't be cheap. It is cheap from Duke to RDU.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Postby Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Are we seriously arguing about traffic patterns?

UVAIce

Bronze

Postby UVAIce » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:31 pm

grades?? wrote:

Ive done both multiple times. It takes me less time driving from Duke to RDU (10 minutes), park/security/check bag (20 minutes), wait for flight (about 30), fly (45 minutes) to DC, and then grab an uber. All in all about 2ish hours. Charlottesville usually takes 3 hours with normal traffic, but catch bad traffic, and it can be longer. Flying from Durham actually saves time.

A big benefit of Duke versus UVA is Duke is 10 minutes from RDU. Catch a ton of flights to DC, Atlanta, NY, etc. It takes over a hour from UVA to the airport in Richmond.

But agree, it doesn't really matter. Ive never taken an uber from UVA to Richmond airport however, can't be cheap. It is cheap from Duke to RDU.

Why not fly out of Charlottesville? There is an airport there. While the DC firms expect you to drive or take the train, all the NY firms flew callbacks out of Cville.

grades??

Silver

Postby grades?? » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:36 pm

UVAIce wrote:
grades?? wrote:

Why not fly out of Charlottesville? There is an airport there. While the DC firms expect you to drive or take the train, all the NY firms flew callbacks out of Cville.

Ive never had to fly Cville to NYC so idk. All my flights when I was working were from the south to Cville. Always had to connect, unlike at RDU.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Postby Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Are we seriously arguing about traffic patterns?

We shouldn't be, but if that's the argument being posited

cron1834

Gold

Postby cron1834 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:57 am

Duke, UVA, Berkeley, Michigan, NU, and Cornell are all basically peers. There's wiggle room from year to year, and some selection bias reflected in the data, but they're peers. The airports literally don't matter.

Let's focus on how bad GULC is.

cannibal ox

Gold

Postby cannibal ox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:05 am

Yeah guys, let's get back to how UT is t14 now. Right? ... Guys?

Partner Track

New

Postby Partner Track » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:22 am

Does this mean UVA is now worth sticker? :D

Jaqen

Silver

Postby Jaqen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 am

Chicago left Columbia in the dust in the USNWR rankings and is at the top of the list for employment.

UT displaced the George-whatever Law CenTTTer in USNWR and Vandy's employment stats are probably better than Berzerkeley's.

This Southerner => Chicagoan => Texan is pleased.

Return to “Choosing a Law School?