Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:12 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

Fiddlesticks

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Fiddlesticks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:14 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


Pretty sure that's not what his/her argument is...

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:16 pm

curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

sad excuses! the DPV tier has arrived.


redsoxfan1989

Bronze
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:04 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby redsoxfan1989 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:20 pm

proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

sad excuses! the DPVC tier has arrived.

FTFY

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm

cheaptilts wrote:Charlottesville to D.C. Is 2.5 hours; Durham to dc is 4 hours and atlanta is 6. Just a poor argument


It takes a little bit of "imagination" or creativity that you presumably lack to understand feeder markets aren't quite as literal as driving time.

I'm providing some input as someone who is familiar with Chicago biglaw recruiting and hiring criteria. Michigan and NU and UC are viewed as equals to many Chicago based firms. Every year we lose people that we offer to less prestigious Michigan grads. I'm just here to reassure people that want to go to Michigan that it's a highly regarded in the legal community and much of its rankings are due to a different legal economy and self selection.

If you don't believe me, perhaps go ask the partner taking questions at a V15 firm how he regards Michigan relative to northwestern or Cornell.

Fiddlesticks

New
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Fiddlesticks » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:21 pm



That's interesting. At least 1 person in 35 States. Considerable percentage going to NY, DC, Illinois, CA, Michigan and Texas.
Last edited by Fiddlesticks on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

sad excuses! the DPVC tier has arrived.

FTFY


The C being Columbia

User avatar
proteinshake

Gold
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby proteinshake » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:23 pm

curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

sad excuses! the DPVC tier has arrived.

FTFY


The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:24 pm

proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:
Johann wrote:New York legal market is MUCH larger than Chicago. Cornell is known as a NYC feeder for applicants that usually DONT/CANT get into Columbia and nyu

Meanwhile, umich matriculate CAN get into northwestern usually and pick Michigan this sort of self selecting out of the Chicago market. Not that many much grads end up in Chicago. If they wanted hicsgo you'd just call them NU GRADS.


So, the case for Michigan is that students choose it because they don't want to work in NY or Chicago? Interesting.


They're all just humble Michiganders who want to work in Grand Rapids or (insert random town on Upper Peninsula) rather than head to Chicago/NYC with all the city slickers and crime.

sad excuses! the DPVC tier has arrived.

FTFY


The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?


HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN

cannibal ox

Gold
Posts: 4075
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:28 pm

As long as we're doing tiers...

WUSTL

Get it? Cause UT is gonna be at 45%

User avatar
jbagelboy

Diamond
Posts: 10281
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:31 pm

curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?


HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN


What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?


HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN


What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.


I'm just trolling, I really think it's more like Y S HCC. I do think that Chicago offers better access to academia/clerkships that can't be attributed to self-selection.

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20789
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:38 pm

curry1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?


HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN


What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.


I'm just trolling, I really think it's more like Y S HCC. I do think that Chicago offers better access to academia/clerkships that can't be attributed to self-selection.

It's all those damn right wing FedSoc connections (by which I mean Chicago is 10 % right wing instead of 5 %)

curry1

Silver
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri May 15, 2015 11:41 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby curry1 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:41 pm

star fox wrote:
curry1 wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
curry1 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
curry1 wrote:
The C being Columbia

DPVCCCN?


HYSChicago, DVPNCC, MBN


What leads you to presume Columbia's numbers will fall into the second category?

Historically its always been SHCC (Yale is an outlier but for its own reasons) in their own tier in terms of BL+FC with Penn as occasionally joining. Columbia has often been in the top position.


I'm just trolling, I really think it's more like Y S HCC. I do think that Chicago offers better access to academia/clerkships that can't be attributed to self-selection.

It's all those damn right wing FedSoc connections (by which I mean Chicago is 10 % right wing instead of 5 %)


10% = conservative by law school liberals' definition.

User avatar
RParadela

Silver
Posts: 858
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby RParadela » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:48 pm

UVA, Duke, and Penn need to be elevated into CCN tier. It's now YSH, CCNDPV and then NCMB.

thereelfeels

New
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby thereelfeels » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm


Tiny Rick!

Bronze
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:06 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Tiny Rick! » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

UChicago throwing up some TTT numbers.

User avatar
star fox

Diamond
Posts: 20789
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Is this NU disaster enough to knock JB Pritzker out of the Governor race?

User avatar
nimbus cloud

Silver
Posts: 536
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:19 am

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby nimbus cloud » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

RParadela wrote:UVA, Duke, and Penn need to be elevated into CCN tier. It's now YSH, CCNDPV and then NCMB.


How is H in the same league as Y?

User avatar
Lincoln

Silver
Posts: 1208
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Lincoln » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

cheaptilts wrote:
Johann wrote:It's almost like major metropolitan areas have different job opportunities than large towns and tiny commuter cities.

Durham, Charlottesville, and Ithaca are all decisively larger cities than Ann Arbor and closer to a major metro area than Ann Arbor? What?

Your argument about students self-selecting into a state school is a real stretch, too


The population of Ithaca is 1/4 of that of Ann Arbor. Ithaca is 4.5 hrs from NYC whereas Ann Arbor is 4 hrs from Chicago and 1 hour from Detroit.

There are facts in favor of the argument that Cornell has a "home market" whereas Michigan does not, but this is not one of them.

yost

Bronze
Posts: 153
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby yost » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Johann wrote:It's almost like major metropolitan areas have different job opportunities than large towns and tiny commuter cities.

Durham, Charlottesville, and Ithaca are all decisively larger cities than Ann Arbor and closer to a major metro area than Ann Arbor? What?

Your argument about students self-selecting into a state school is a real stretch, too


The population of Ithaca is 1/4 of that of Ann Arbor. Ithaca is 4.5 hrs from NYC whereas Ann Arbor is 4 hrs from Chicago and 1 hour from Detroit.

There are facts in favor of the argument that Cornell has a "home market" whereas Michigan does not, but this is not one of them.


Yes, and that argument is that Michigan sent ~20% of its class to NY last year, and ~10% each to Chicago, Michigan, California, and DC. I don't think there's another school that has such a wide distribution.

User avatar
Johann

Diamond
Posts: 19704
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Johann » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:07 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Johann wrote:It's almost like major metropolitan areas have different job opportunities than large towns and tiny commuter cities.

Durham, Charlottesville, and Ithaca are all decisively larger cities than Ann Arbor and closer to a major metro area than Ann Arbor? What?

Your argument about students self-selecting into a state school is a real stretch, too


The population of Ithaca is 1/4 of that of Ann Arbor. Ithaca is 4.5 hrs from NYC whereas Ann Arbor is 4 hrs from Chicago and 1 hour from Detroit.

There are facts in favor of the argument that Cornell has a "home market" whereas Michigan does not, but this is not one of them.


And yet 55% of Cornell grads work in NYC while less than 10% work in Chicago.

User avatar
Pragmatic Gun

Silver
Posts: 1361
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby Pragmatic Gun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:08 pm

Lincoln wrote:
cheaptilts wrote:
Johann wrote:It's almost like major metropolitan areas have different job opportunities than large towns and tiny commuter cities.

Durham, Charlottesville, and Ithaca are all decisively larger cities than Ann Arbor and closer to a major metro area than Ann Arbor? What?

Your argument about students self-selecting into a state school is a real stretch, too


The population of Ithaca is 1/4 of that of Ann Arbor. Ithaca is 4.5 hrs from NYC whereas Ann Arbor is 4 hrs from Chicago and 1 hour from Detroit.

There are facts in favor of the argument that Cornell has a "home market" whereas Michigan does not, but this is not one of them.


If you want to be precise, Cornell is actually 4 hours or less away from NYC. You will be surprised how fast the buses drive in trying to shorten trip times.

Anyway, what is the purpose of this argument? Cornell's home market is NYC. I thought this was established wisdom.

User avatar
sublime

Diamond
Posts: 17385
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Postby sublime » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:10 pm

Damn washU. Nice. Although I wonder how much of that is smaller class size.



Return to “Choosing a Law School?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests