Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
registering

New

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Post by registering » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

vcap180 wrote:Fordham is over 40% BLFC now?!? Wow.
151 BL + 10 FC of 384 grads. Not shabby at all. A lot of non-T13s are killing it this year.

registering

New

Post by registering » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 pm

vcap180 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
vcap180 wrote:I imagine a lot of previous classes are feeling salty right now.

One would think the market would continue trending in a positive direction for a little bit. Even if things stagnate, the graduating classes for the next few years will be significantly smaller than in previous years, which can only help the situation.
I doubt many people from the classes 2010-2012 (the worst post-recession) are looking at the statistics this year. But yeah, does suck for them because their GPA/LSAT scores were higher too and had to deal with bigger classes and smaller Big Law SA classes.

Yeah for sure. It's crazy how much of this comes down to sheer luck/timing.
In retrospect, I think the C/O 2013 had it best. Seems to be when the numbers plateaued for most T13s and they had 3 relatively good years of employment. Anyone graduating within the next 5 years is probably going to be crazy concerned about a recession.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:22 pm

registering wrote:
vcap180 wrote:Fordham is over 40% BLFC now?!? Wow.
151 BL + 10 FC of 384 grads. Not shabby at all. A lot of non-T13s are killing it this year.

Definitely. It looks like their FTLT JD required went up pretty substantially as well!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:23 pm

registering wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

One would think the market would continue trending in a positive direction for a little bit. Even if things stagnate, the graduating classes for the next few years will be significantly smaller than in previous years, which can only help the situation.
I doubt many people from the classes 2010-2012 (the worst post-recession) are looking at the statistics this year. But yeah, does suck for them because their GPA/LSAT scores were higher too and had to deal with bigger classes and smaller Big Law SA classes.

In retrospect, I think the C/O 2013 had it best. Seems to be when the numbers plateaued for most T13s and they had 3 relatively good years of employment. Anyone graduating within the next 5 years is probably going to be crazy concerned about a recession.
Yep, I definitely wish I hadn't taken time off prior to law school at this point.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:41 pm

registering wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

As a 0L, my biggest fear is that a recession hits in the next few years. Graduating this or next year would be perfect IMO

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
registering wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Yep, I definitely wish I hadn't taken time off prior to law school at this point.

don't you think the moderately improved/(ing) market and decreased classes should result in comparatively better outcomes for the next 5 years or so? i feel like that wave should be somewhat long-lived, especially since applications and class sizes dont seem to show any sign of returning to where they were 5 years ago.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 pm

C/o 2016 is so full of win

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Where can one find the recession employment numbers for schools?

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm

Trump's presidency is clearly the best thing for biglaw

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:53 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Where can one find the recession employment numbers for schools?
http://employmentsummary.abaquestionnaire.org/

It seems like the Class of 2011 was the hardest hit, because they did OCI in fall of 2009.

I think LST may actually go back to 2011 as well.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:00 pm

This was the year law school enrollment started to tank. So I'm not too surprised. Good things happen when the denominator falls. Be interesting if someone just did a raw count comparison.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 pm

star fox wrote:This was the year law school enrollment started to tank. So I'm not too surprised. Good things happen when the denominator falls. Be interesting if someone just did a raw count comparison.

right and it didnt recover, which is why i dont think the next few classes should worry much

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:03 pm

given the footnote at the bottom, 95 grads have already lined up clerkships. That is insane, >45%. Considering how extending the hiring timeline has become (maybe not for Yalies) that means much more than 50% of YLS class of 2016 will clerk.

registering

New

Post by registering » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

star fox wrote:This was the year law school enrollment started to tank. So I'm not too surprised. Good things happen when the denominator falls. Be interesting if someone just did a raw count comparison.
Vandy had a smaller class in 2016 compared to 2015. Most T13s are stable right now give or take about 10-20 raw BL+FC outcomes, which is consistent with about a 3-10% variation depending on class size. All of them except Michigan and Berk have hit 70% at one point in the past 3 reports. I don't see things getting much better than this.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:40 pm

I've always been under the impression that those in the T10 (if not T13) can have biglaw if they want, and those who choose a life outside biglaw generally do so on their own volition. Is this not true?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:51 pm

proleteriate wrote:I've always been under the impression that those in the T10 (if not T13) can have biglaw if they want, and those who choose a life outside biglaw generally do so on their own volition. Is this not true?
For some yes, and if you look at Yale and Stanford that's probably the case for the majority of those who don't BigLaw it up but anything beyond that is gonna be mostly people for whom it wasn't in the cards.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:52 pm

proleteriate wrote:I've always been under the impression that those in the T10 (if not T13) can have biglaw if they want, and those who choose a life outside biglaw generally do so on their own volition. Is this not true?
This is not true for almost all of the T13. Also, schools outside the T10 at times place better, down the map, than schools within the T10. With the exception of maybe a Yalie/Stanford grad, people strike out from biglaw at every school.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 pm

vcap180 wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
registering wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

don't you think the moderately improved/(ing) market and decreased classes should result in comparatively better outcomes for the next 5 years or so? i feel like that wave should be somewhat long-lived, especially since applications and class sizes dont seem to show any sign of returning to where they were 5 years ago.
I don't think you can predict what outcomes will be like for the next 5 years. I think it is safe to say that the classes of 2017 and 2018 will be strong, but can't speculate beyond that. For each class it all depends on how the economy is doing first at the time of OCI because that is when firms decide how big their SA classes will be. Then second, how the economy is doing during/after your summer when offers are given.

proleteriate

New

Post by proleteriate » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:57 pm

star fox wrote:
For some yes, and if you look at Yale and Stanford that's probably the case for the majority of those who don't BigLaw it up but anything beyond that is gonna be mostly people for whom it wasn't in the cards.
So there's plenty of people at Harvard that wants it but can't get it?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:03 am

proleteriate wrote:
star fox wrote:
I don't know about "plenty," but for HCCN there are some persons (albeit a tiny percentage) who don't get firms. At these schools its not so much about bad grades and more attributable to terrible interviewing/bad bid selection. There's no point barring all below-discretionary grades that a Chicago or Harvard or Columbia grad places his or herself entirely out of the running. I know straight B's (lowest non-discretionary grade) at CLS and straight P's at H (lowest non-discretionary grade) that have secured marketing paying firm gigs. I also know of cases of persons with grades not quite so low at each of these schools that struck out for non-grade reasons, although TBH they all landed on their feet.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 am

proleteriate wrote:
star fox wrote:
Actually a few people from Harvard do strike out. But I also disagree that the almost all of the people in all the schools that aren't in BL or FC struck out. At a school like NYU, I am guessing a large portion of the student body are PI gunners. And all t13 schools have decent number of ppl looking to do PI. Definitely people are striking out at all these schools, but not sure the numbers reflect all of them

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 am

trebekismyhero wrote:
proleteriate wrote:
star fox wrote:
Actually a few people from Harvard do strike out. But I also disagree that the almost all of the people in all the schools that aren't in BL or FC struck out. At a school like NYU, I am guessing a large portion of the student body are PI gunners. And all t13 schools have decent number of ppl looking to do PI. Definitely people are striking out at all these schools, but not sure the numbers reflect all of them
If you break down the numbers in the ABA Data you can probably get a decent picture. If Unemployed/Under-Employed -> Strikeouts (or constructive strikeouts). FedGov might not be. PI could go either way. Small firms -> Probably strikeout. Local Gov -> Probably strikeout. Local Clerkship -> Probably strikeout (I have heard of people whose firms deferred them so they could do a state clerkship but I dunno if this is common). Business -> Look at if the school has a big JD/MBA Program

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:25 am

Off topic, but is ATL going to release a ranking this year?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:28 am

Pomeranian wrote:Off topic, but is ATL going to release a ranking this year?
Curious as to why you'd care?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”