Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
goldenbear2020

Silver

Re: Class of 2016 Employment Statistics by School

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:02 pm

RParadela wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
But why aren't UVA and Duke more prestigious than Harvard? If the former schools give you better employment options, aren't people who say Harvard is better just objectively wrong? Why do people give Harvard higher standing? It just makes no sense to me.
I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'll bite. Prestige is marginally based on employment statistics. Harvard Law produces presidents, Attorney Generals, Supreme Court Justices, U.S. Representatives, and Senators. UVA and Duke can't even compete in those regards. Combined they have 2 SCOTUS justices (one of whom didn't even graduate UVA and the other served on the court over 70 years ago), two presidents (Wilson didn't even graduate from UVA Law, and Nixon resigned as to not get impeached), and a few Reps./Senators I imagine, but those are few in number compared to Harvard. Plus, Harvard Law gets the added bonus of the prestige produced by the Harvard UG (where some of the smartest/wealthiest students have gone for 100s of years), and Harvard Grad (where some of the most preeminent scholars, doctors, and business people have gone). UVA and Duke have what? Strong graduate history programs, okay business schools, and the latter has a good medical school. That's about it. Harvard Law also gets a ton of great PI/Gov't jobs that are prestigious that don't fit inside the really limited (and thus dumb) BL + FC box that TLS salivates over.

I think it's pretty clear why everyone views Harvard as objectively better, regardless of what a couple points on BL + FC employment percentages say.
the lay prestige meter, which is the only thing that matters, reads as follows:

Harvard >>> Duke > NYU > UVA
Lol NYU has 0 lay prestige. NYU has the least lay prestige out of the T13 IMO
I agree NYU has low lay prestige, but it should beat at least Chicago, Virginia, Berkeley, and maybe Penn (State?).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:05 pm

TLS already has a thread for the "lay prestige" discussion:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=1575

Please limit your "lay prestige" observations to that thread. If you do not comply, I will use my considerable influence to get the mods to suspend your account and/or de-anonymize all of your past anonymous posts. This is your only warning.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
But why aren't UVA and Duke more prestigious than Harvard? If the former schools give you better employment options, aren't people who say Harvard is better just objectively wrong? Why do people give Harvard higher standing? It just makes no sense to me.
I'm not sure if you're serious, but I'll bite. Prestige is marginally based on employment statistics. Harvard Law produces presidents, Attorney Generals, Supreme Court Justices, U.S. Representatives, and Senators. UVA and Duke can't even compete in those regards. Combined they have 2 SCOTUS justices (one of whom didn't even graduate UVA and the other served on the court over 70 years ago), two presidents (Wilson didn't even graduate from UVA Law, and Nixon resigned as to not get impeached), and a few Reps./Senators I imagine, but those are few in number compared to Harvard. Plus, Harvard Law gets the added bonus of the prestige produced by the Harvard UG (where some of the smartest/wealthiest students have gone for 100s of years), and Harvard Grad (where some of the most preeminent scholars, doctors, and business people have gone). UVA and Duke have what? Strong graduate history programs, okay business schools, and the latter has a good medical school. That's about it. Harvard Law also gets a ton of great PI/Gov't jobs that are prestigious that don't fit inside the really limited (and thus dumb) BL + FC box that TLS salivates over.

I think it's pretty clear why everyone views Harvard as objectively better, regardless of what a couple points on BL + FC employment percentages say.

I agree NYU has low lay prestige, but it should beat at least Chicago, Virginia, Berkeley, and maybe Penn (State?).
Definitely no, no, no, and definitely not

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:07 pm

lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Toni V wrote:IVY League LST breakout
………………..Employ% • Big Law%

UPENN 89.8 • 66.3
CORNELL 89.6 • 62.8
COLUMBIA 87.2 • 73.6
HARVARD 85.7 • 51.8
YALE 81.2 • 38.5
Where's Princeton Law bruh
this past week i had someone ask me why i didnt apply to princeton law

"because... it doesn't...exist...?"
You can attend Princeton's law school...once you build a time machine.

The Law School at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) was a department of Princeton University from 1847 until 1852.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Toni V wrote:
lawlzschool wrote:
Thelaw23 wrote:
Toni V wrote:IVY League LST breakout
………………..Employ% • Big Law%

UPENN 89.8 • 66.3
CORNELL 89.6 • 62.8
COLUMBIA 87.2 • 73.6
HARVARD 85.7 • 51.8
YALE 81.2 • 38.5
Where's Princeton Law bruh
this past week i had someone ask me why i didnt apply to princeton law

"because... it doesn't...exist...?"
You can attend Princeton's law school...once you build a time machine.

The Law School at the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) was a department of Princeton University from 1847 until 1852.
That's the joke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fiddlesticks

New

Post by Fiddlesticks » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm

OP, Nebby, you've mis-ordered NYU. Should be behind both Stanford and Cornell.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:22 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
grades?? wrote: How many presidents has Columbia law graduated?
University of Cincinnati College of Law and Albany Law School finally getting the respect they deserve on these fora
Franklin Roosevelt and Teddy Roosevelt both went to Columbia law school.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:23 pm

UT's numbers are closer to Fordham's and BU's than to GULC's. It's ironic that TLS has recently bandied about the question of "does UT now belong in the T14?" It sounds like the better question is: "does UT even belong in the T20?"

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
grades?? wrote: How many presidents has Columbia law graduated?
University of Cincinnati College of Law and Albany Law School finally getting the respect they deserve on these fora
Franklin Roosevelt and Teddy Roosevelt both went to Columbia law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:26 pm

rpupkin wrote:UT's numbers are closer to Fordham's and BU's than to GULC's. It's ironic that TLS has recently bandied about the question of "does UT now belong in the T14?" It sounds like the better question is: "does UT even belong in the T20?"
theres only so many big law jobs in texas.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 pm

curry1 wrote: Franklin Roosevelt and Teddy Roosevelt both went to Columbia law school.
Yeah, and both dropped out (TR after his first year and FDR after his second). Once they realized how little prestige CLS had compared to HLS and YLS, they knew it wasn't worth their time.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:28 pm

rpupkin wrote:
curry1 wrote: Franklin Roosevelt and Teddy Roosevelt both went to Columbia law school.
Yeah, and both dropped out (TR after his first year and FDR after his second). Once they realized how little prestige CLS had compared to HLS and YLS, they knew it wasn't worth their time.
Vicious but actually probably true at the time

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:29 pm

rpupkin wrote:
CLS = finishing school for trust fund dilettantes from the beginning

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:38 pm

rpupkin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lawcat11

Bronze

Post by Lawcat11 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:46 pm

Let's not forget that Samuel Tilden graduated from NYU, and was the true winner of the 1876 election.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:52 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:What are the odds that Duke (77.7%) and UVA (76.9%) pass NYU (74.5%) in the rankings in the next few years?
Assuming you're serious, no chance at all.
Why though? Their BL+Clerk is a good bit higher. Even ud you include PI and Gov they're just like equal. Why is NYU even regarded more highly?
How are Duke and NYU "equal" in PI/gov placement?

NYU has a lower BL+FC number because a very large number of people go into PI.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:55 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:What are the odds that Duke (77.7%) and UVA (76.9%) pass NYU (74.5%) in the rankings in the next few years?
Why though? Their BL+Clerk is a good bit higher. Even ud you include PI and Gov they're just like equal. Why is NYU even regarded more highly?

If you add BL+FC+PI+Gov Duke and NYU are very close. I don't remember the exact #s

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

If you add BL+FC+PI+Gov Duke and NYU are very close. I don't remember the exact #s
No. Duke sends maybe 5% of its class into PI/gov each year. NYU sends 18-20%. There's only a 3% difference in BL/FC numbers, and NYU has over twice as many students.

Duke's a great school. But it's not going to displace NYU because of BL/FC placement. NYU has always had lower biglaw placement numbers because of PI.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I just wanted to see how fast I could derail this into a lay prestige shitshow. It actually took two separate posts to get anyone to bite, but once someone did, the rest went just as planned.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

RSN wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Historically/factually speaking they left the school because prior to WWII it was far less important to actually receive a law degree, and students would satisfy the historical equivalent of 'graduated' once they were able to sit for the bar, whereupon they usually left. Also, 2 years of law school was frequently sufficient to receive the degree. Many famous 'alums' of law schools (including CLS, HLS and YLS) merely attended for a couple years circa 1900 and did not 'graduate' in the sense we think of today.

Alao technically speaking they received posthumous degrees.

jb111

New

Post by jb111 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:20 pm

I've been working on a new metric:

BL+FC+PI+GOV+OTHER+UNEMP

Some surprising results that I won't get all the way into right here and now, but I can guarantee that you will be surprised at some of the schools tied for first (and last).

And I can confirm that NYU and Duke have exactly the same score under my system.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Any info for Emory, ND and Minnesota?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:24 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

Definitely doesn't beat Berkeley (which has huge lay prestige) or Chicago (which has pretty significant lay prestige).

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
RSN wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
Historically/factually speaking they left the school because prior to WWII it was far less important to actually receive a law degree, and students would satisfy the historical equivalent of 'graduated' once they were able to sit for the bar, whereupon they usually left.
This is true, though TR in particular hated Columbia and left before the minimum of two years that most people put in.

vcap180

Bronze

Post by vcap180 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
goldenbear2020 wrote:
RParadela wrote:
vcap180 wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:

Definitely doesn't beat Berkeley (which has huge lay prestige) or Chicago (which has pretty significant lay prestige).
Of those schools, the lay prestige meter reads as follows:
berk>chicago>NYU>Penn>UVA... Incidentally, Michigan would be last among the t13.

This is not my opinion; I have polled a representative sample of laymen.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”